Menu
Mrwoodz
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Annoying box!!

Why are we having our viewing inturupted on our free channels when the bill needs paying by putting a box that moves around the screen!!! They are free channels!! It is not going to make me pay the bill any quicker it is just going to make me subscribe to sky instead as I would get the free channels FOR FREE and not be getting myself very stressed out due to this issue!!!! It's discussing way to make people pay, if it's free then you have no right to inturupted our viewing of free channels!!!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Annoying box!!

There are no "free" channels on cable  I'm pretty sure Sky will cut you off if you don't pay your bill

0 Kudos
Mrwoodz
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I was a sky customer for years, and if the bill was late being payed then yes, they would cut off the premium channels, but leave the freeview channels, and not stick a big box across the screen to ruin the channels that do work! It's just a typical thing to do by corporations to put the money before the customer.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

On sky you own  the box and the Free to Air Channels pay for the sat uplink themselves, on Virgin they own the box and the FTA channels take a cut of Virgins subs, there are no free channels on cable

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Even if we assume there are such things as free channels, your use of Virgin Media's cable network is not free. If you do not pay your bill, you have no right to get any service delivered by Virgin Media.

Turn your TV to the Freeview source, you'll get channels there which you've paid for via your TV licence. There are no free channels in the UK.

0 Kudos
Mrwoodz
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The freeview channels are still payed for by my to licence regardless of how they are broadcast surely? Or are we all paying for something twice and yet again being ripped of by corporations!! What would be the point in paying for TV licence if this was the facts? The fact that you say the FTA channels are charging Virgin a sub for it shouldn't be passed to the customer if we are already subsidising them with out license fees!! Robbery if u ask me!
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Mrwoodz wrote:
The freeview channels are still payed for by my to licence regardless of how they are broadcast surely? Or are we all paying for something twice and yet again being ripped of by corporations!! What would be the point in paying for TV licence if this was the facts? The fact that you say the FTA channels are charging Virgin a sub for it shouldn't be passed to the customer if we are already subsidising them with out license fees!! Robbery if u ask me!

One of our TVs is Freeview only, supplied by an aerial and wiring which was installed at a cost to me.

Other TVs are supplied by Tivo and V+ boxes for which I pay a fee to Virgin. I am seriously considering dropping Virgin's TV services at the end of my contract. Should I expect them to continue supplying me with some TV channels should I make this choice?

Supply of services is related to the fee paid and the simple choice is, if you do not want a Pay TV contract, is to use Freeview. If that means meeting the cost of an aerial and wiring, that is the customers choice.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Mrwoodz
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

On sky if the contract is finished or terminated then we are still able to watch the freeview channels. So I expect that regardless of if there is a contract in place or not then we should still be able to watch our free channels as we have payed for them via our tv licence fees! There is no cost to Virgin to have these channels broadcasting anyway, in fact it probably costs them more to have that annoying little box floating around my screen trying to force me to pay to have it taken away! Again it's just profiteering from Virgin and making the general public conform like the sheep that we are all seen to be! As I said before corporations profits before customer obligations like in everything we do.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Unlike Satellite and Terrestrial, there is a cost to Virgin Media in supplying and maintaining delivery of channels via cable. This cost has to be passed on to the customer.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Mrwoodz wrote:
On sky if the contract is finished or terminated then we are still able to watch the freeview channels. So I expect that regardless of if there is a contract in place or not then we should still be able to watch our free channels as we have payed for them via our tv licence fees! There is no cost to Virgin to have these channels broadcasting anyway, in fact it probably costs them more to have that annoying little box floating around my screen trying to force me to pay to have it taken away! Again it's just profiteering from Virgin and making the general public conform like the sheep that we are all seen to be! As I said before corporations profits before customer obligations like in everything we do.

I have been with Sky also. As a new customer you pay for the box and the installation of the dish. You leave and you keep both. I still have Freesat. So, for some, it is a reasonably cheap way of getting Satellite TV even if you are only with Sky for a year. Anything goes wrong subsequently and the cost of repairs is borne by you and can still be the case even if you are a long-term Sky customer. Happened to a friend of mine who had been a customer for years.

The VM model is different. You rent the box and, while repairs are free while you are on contract, even long-term, when you leave you return the box and lose the service.

Different business models, you pays your money and you makes your choice. The important part being "pays".

And, of course, as said above, if you just want Freeview channels then for a reasonable outlay, you get them for "free".

No one forces you to be a Pay TV customer but the different businesses, run as above, come at a cost. Should one customer's service, that is not being paid for, be subsidised by those who do pay?

With VM you rent the box 

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos