Menu
tuppyl2
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Aerial limited to just Virgin products?

Hi there,

So, nearly 4 years ago, my (now ex) partner and I moved in together. When we moved in, we got TiVo, with internet, though it should be noted it was in my ex's name. After about a year, we had to downgrade, as we couldn't afford the whole package anymore, but we kept the internet. We later found that we couldn't get any signal through our TV aerial, unless it was with a Virgin media product (we were trying to use freeview). My ex contacted Virgin as was told that they now own our TV aerial, and will take off whatever it is that's limiting it to Virgin, but it would cost us £180.

So, my question now is, is this right, can they do this?

And now that my ex and I aren't together, and as the contract was in his name, and he no longer lives at the property, is there anything I can get to remove it, so that I can use my aerial again?

I have to say, I'm not particularly impressed that, despite still being Virgin media customers, there was no attempt to help with this issue.

0 Kudos
isaachunt01
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Aerial limited to just Virgin products?

tuppyl2 wrote:

Hi there,

So, nearly 4 years ago, my (now ex) partner and I moved in together. When we moved in, we got TiVo, with internet, though it should be noted it was in my ex's name. After about a year, we had to downgrade, as we couldn't afford the whole package anymore, but we kept the internet. We later found that we couldn't get any signal through our TV aerial, unless it was with a Virgin media product (we were trying to use freeview). My ex contacted Virgin as was told that they now own our TV aerial, and will take off whatever it is that's limiting it to Virgin, but it would cost us £180.

So, my question now is, is this right, can they do this?

And now that my ex and I aren't together, and as the contract was in his name, and he no longer lives at the property, is there anything I can get to remove it, so that I can use my aerial again?

I have to say, I'm not particularly impressed that, despite still being Virgin media customers, there was no attempt to help with this issue.

Well thats nonsense, Virgin do not own you tv Aerial.

Are you sure your connecting the correct Aerial to your Freeview box/tv and not the VM cable?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

This sounds suspiciously like the tech who performed the installation decided not to drill a second hole through the exterior wall and either used the existing coax or just the hole.

Which would mean I'd wager your aerial connection is hanging free somewhere on the outside of the house.

That said, without a picture it's all conjecture.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
tuppyl2
Joining in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Well, I didn't think it sounded right at the time either, but nevermind.

Ok, so this is what I'm looking at. Please be kind if I'm being really thick, new to all this sort of stuff.20170103_204738.jpg

I've been plugging it in the the white aerial cable (if it's not, it certainly has an aerial connector), on the far right.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

That not an ariel connection its a VM Coax connection. Vm cant do anything to make it an ariel connection as it only connects to their network.

0 Kudos
tuppyl2
Joining in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

But I'm pretty certain that wasn't there when I moved in...
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

If you moved in four years ago, then it's a safe bet that that was there at the time.

Telewest Broadband became NTL/Telwest and then later rebranded as Virgin Media (The last being done in 2010), It's unlikely that they were still installing Telewest branded wall mountings in 2012.

Either way that's not an aerial point it's definitely a cover for a Cable TV connection point.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

As people have said, the VM connection and a standard TV aerial that you'd use for Freeview are completely separate.

It could be that the TV aerial, or at least the cable to it, were removed before you moved in, easiest thing to do is probably to locate the aerial and see if you can see where the cable goes, might be that the aerial point still exists at some other place in the house. If the aerial or cable are completely missing then you'll probably need to get a local TV aerial company in to fit one for you.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Kippies wrote:

That not an ariel connection its a VM Coax connection. Vm cant do anything to make it an ariel connection as it only connects to their network.

Looks typically like TV (RF bypass - sometimes Active Power) bypass. I suspect the OP can confirm that the far Right connector (of the 3w splitter) has a "F" to BNC(Female) adapter currently inserted?

Remember that DOCSIS/HFC was predicated on existing CATV originally and thus TV analog bypass was quite prevalent on original CableCo installs even with DOCSIS digital conversion such that any Analog feeds were preserved. Even my original Pace STB (1000 model) had RF bypass "loop" connector such that all the Terrestial (analog) VHF/UHF TV could still be supplied.

During the first decade into the millennium TW/BY/NTL began phasing out TV analog (to re-use for digital) but a lot of existing CPE didn't get updated. Certain areas (e.g. MiltonKeynes) required that CableCo still provided analog TV/FM service.

Since TV analog is now no longer supported and thus migrated to TV digital then the frequency plan/paradigm has changed and apart from MK (and a few areas) most of the TV/RF bypass is defunct even if the newer isolator has not yet been fitted? I've personally experienced 3 properties (in Solent and Brighton) where a legacy TV/RF loop was still presented within internal wall box. In fact up till about 2014 my stepson lived in Hove 3 story town house flat which had been "converted" from original Redifusion CATV cabling and for at least a year had countless SNR issues (along with utilization) until I got VM to provide a dedicated RG11 repull and isolator/internal RG6 upgrade.

Of course the OP may not be living in a flat and/or not appreciate the subtle distinction between "owning" an "antenna/aerial" and coax feed on ones freehold property or relying on a "managing agent" or "landlord" to organize maintenance on a "community" based service?

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
tonyworks
Up to speed
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

You may not have an aerial. Look to see if there is one on the roof and follow the wire down. If you live in a flat then you may have had a communal  aerial (which was not yours anyway) Virgin used to supply an analogue TV signal through thier system but this has now stopped. If you did have an aerial then it would be yours and still attached to your house. If you have not got one then you can buy one and have it fitted to the roof. Virgin would not have removed it.

Hope this helps