Menu
SVS
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Advice on installing tv in another room which has no aerial

I currently have a TiVo box installed, but my husband is severely disabled and  has become bedridden.  He needs a tv in his room on the ground floor, which has no aerial.  He likes to watch the Racing Channel (ATR).  The only suggestion I got from VM was to get another TiVo box, which I know will add more expense to my already costly outgoings and I still have to buy another television.   Also, I do not want loads of cables and wires running through the property.  VM engineers already made a hash of the original installation.   Would it be cheaper for me to just get an engineer to install an external aerial to the bedroom?     There is no signal from an ordinary booster tv aerial as I have tried it in my upstairs bedroom so I cannot even get Freeview. We are in a valley and the mast is some way off.  I thought of moving the existing TiVo box to his room as I could live with Freeview in the living room through the old fixed aerial, but again it would mean moving cables etc.    I also have a router for broadband and wondered if he would be able to watch TV Anywhere via the internet if I invested in a Smart TV with WiFi, although I realise the channels would be limited and he would not be able to watch the racing.  Please does anyone with engineering knowledge having any suggestions for my dilemma.   An IPad is not the answer  as he can just about manage a remote control.   With  technology moving so fast and machines talking to one another I am sure there must be a simple solution. 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Advice on installing tv in another room which has no aerial

Try sky. They do a free with Sky freesat package for £175. Which sounds a lot but fir that they install a box and a dish and you don't have to pay any subscription. You'd just need to check you'd get the racing channel he likes to watch. 

Other than that a good aerial firm should be able to get you a freeview signal. But is ATR on free view? You'd need to check that too

Telewest
Dialled in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Freeview by a Transmitter is great if your TV can pick up all the channels in SD & HD and you can get a box which can record and take you on the Internet for other shows or missed shows.

Freesat is using the beam form space , so you need a dish a box or a TV which can pick up the signal and again there are internet services that give shows that you missed or wish to view again.

both above will need a cable from the outside coming into a room were it can reach a TV or TV Box  or if have TV's like me you can have both services into.

Sky uses a cable too like Freesat but more channels if you like pay for them.

BT TV & TALK TALK & PLUSNET all have a TV service which places extra channels on top of the Freeview needing Internet service ( hub)

Virgin as you know a cable system that also needs to come into your home to a box then TV if you wish a second box for another TV then that is easy as I have Three Tivo and HUB plus a phone all needing cables .

for the HUB and bedroom I had a cable ran around the eve of my home that comes into the back of my home so giving me two network  cables so no need of cables going around in my home yet giving me the services I need .

I have Freeview HD ( DTT ) Freesat HD ( DSAT ) BT TV UHD services and Virgin media 1TB TiVo X3 plus services.

VM TV anywhere service will give you many of your TV channels but not all yet so check online for channels

BT and others all have same internet services that give you your TV package on a computer of some kind.

But you many need to look into power lead for watching a computer like a TV as most go about 3 hours at the max and you have make sure the network is OK with the signal if you use wifi our can use network cat cable ...

hope this is of help? 

All Replies
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Try sky. They do a free with Sky freesat package for £175. Which sounds a lot but fir that they install a box and a dish and you don't have to pay any subscription. You'd just need to check you'd get the racing channel he likes to watch. 

Other than that a good aerial firm should be able to get you a freeview signal. But is ATR on free view? You'd need to check that too

Telewest
Dialled in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Freeview by a Transmitter is great if your TV can pick up all the channels in SD & HD and you can get a box which can record and take you on the Internet for other shows or missed shows.

Freesat is using the beam form space , so you need a dish a box or a TV which can pick up the signal and again there are internet services that give shows that you missed or wish to view again.

both above will need a cable from the outside coming into a room were it can reach a TV or TV Box  or if have TV's like me you can have both services into.

Sky uses a cable too like Freesat but more channels if you like pay for them.

BT TV & TALK TALK & PLUSNET all have a TV service which places extra channels on top of the Freeview needing Internet service ( hub)

Virgin as you know a cable system that also needs to come into your home to a box then TV if you wish a second box for another TV then that is easy as I have Three Tivo and HUB plus a phone all needing cables .

for the HUB and bedroom I had a cable ran around the eve of my home that comes into the back of my home so giving me two network  cables so no need of cables going around in my home yet giving me the services I need .

I have Freeview HD ( DTT ) Freesat HD ( DSAT ) BT TV UHD services and Virgin media 1TB TiVo X3 plus services.

VM TV anywhere service will give you many of your TV channels but not all yet so check online for channels

BT and others all have same internet services that give you your TV package on a computer of some kind.

But you many need to look into power lead for watching a computer like a TV as most go about 3 hours at the max and you have make sure the network is OK with the signal if you use wifi our can use network cat cable ...

hope this is of help?