Menu
TSpicer
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Additional tivo box installation requirements

I have ordered a second tivo box to be installed upstairs. The first tivo is in the living room where the main cable comes into the house, and there is a cable from there into another downstairs room for the broadband hub.  How is the second tivo box connected as it is upstairs and there is no simple route for wiring? Do I need to get a powerline adaptor to connect the two tivo boxes together before the engineer arrives. Or do I need to put a cat 5 cable from the original tivo box to the hub, and then connect a power line for the new box from the hub. (This will involve crawling under the floor.) I rang up Virgin and was told the engineer does all of this, but he wont provide a powerline plug, but some guidance would be useful. So I can prepare a route before hand, or get the powerline adapters etc.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Additional tivo box installation requirements

The standard TiVo box only requires a connection to the VM cable network via the coax cable.  So if the room you are having the second box installed in doesn't have a VM coax point then the engineer will install this for you.  The route they chose to do this via will, I assume, depend on the layout of the house. 

As an example, in my house the upstairs connection is via a cable from the box outside the house up the outside wall and through a hole drilled from the outside into the upstairs room.

If you want to be able to connect the two boxes to use the multi room streaming option then you would also need to connect both boxes to your VM broadband hub, either by direct Ethernet connection or using powerline adaptors.  As I understand it this would be up to you to do and not something that the engineer can do for you.

With the new TV V6 box then the situation changes completely as they need to be connected to both the coax cable and the broadband network to fully function.  However, they do have WiFi capability unlike the current TiVo.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The standard TiVo box only requires a connection to the VM cable network via the coax cable.  So if the room you are having the second box installed in doesn't have a VM coax point then the engineer will install this for you.  The route they chose to do this via will, I assume, depend on the layout of the house. 

As an example, in my house the upstairs connection is via a cable from the box outside the house up the outside wall and through a hole drilled from the outside into the upstairs room.

If you want to be able to connect the two boxes to use the multi room streaming option then you would also need to connect both boxes to your VM broadband hub, either by direct Ethernet connection or using powerline adaptors.  As I understand it this would be up to you to do and not something that the engineer can do for you.

With the new TV V6 box then the situation changes completely as they need to be connected to both the coax cable and the broadband network to fully function.  However, they do have WiFi capability unlike the current TiVo.

TSpicer
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, that is useful to know.

0 Kudos
ArnoldAardvark
Just joined
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Where does the coax to the second TiVo connect to? The first TiVo box? From the VirginMedia installed box? From a user-supplied amplifier/ splitter?

Many thanks,

ArnoldA
0 Kudos