Menu
CR01
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Activation fee

Phoned up a fortnight ago to order two TiVo boxes to replace a V+HD box and an ageing V+ box.  Spoke to a helpful lady who said they can do that for you and increase your broadband speed and save you £2 on your bill.  I thought that's great.  

Received a Residential Service Contract today which states they want to charge £49.95 activation fee for the TiVo box.  This was never mentioned in the initial phone call.  Phoned up today to complain that this was never mentioned when service initially offered and despite an apology they wouldn't waive the charge.

Surely if you aren't quoted a charge at the time of order one can't be applied retrospectively.  If they recorded the original call I made I'm happy for them to check no mention of installation charges was made.  Have cancelled the order for the TiVo boxes as a result.

So disappointed with the service received from VirginMedia. Been with them since they took over from Telewest.  Severe test of loyalty today!

0 Kudos
erwhon5
Tuning in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Activation fee

Something does not sound right here. I remember when I upgraded to the Tivo box they told me that the £49 charge would be applied as an installation fee only if one of their engineers had to come out to 'install' the box. I simply got the box and plugged it in without requesting an engineer. There was no fee and this was only back in February of this year.

It seems to me that you are probably getting some wrong information. Have you tried calling back and speaking to someone else about this?

0 Kudos
CR01
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Got told when I phoned today that the installation is free but they have to charge £49.95 to activate the box as the boxes no longer come with a card.  I'm annoyed that the charge was never mentioned at the outset. Also checked the contract note and found out it was tying me in to a contract for 18 months which was again never mentioned.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Cr01,

Thank you for coming in and posting your comment.

I'm sorry to hear that you weren't aware of the activation fee at the time. I've had a look here and can see what's gone on. Assuming that you would have liked to have had a quickstart order, doing both boxes at the same time wouldn;t be possible. Quickstart works with activating one box at a time so a manned install would be needed. If you still wish to have the TiVo 500Gb boxes then you could have this one by one and only pay for the postage fee, which isn't fixed but can be up to £20 delivery.

I really hope that you would like to have TiVo in the future and if there's anything I can do please let me know.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

AFAIK the activation fee is only waived if you take a 500 gig TiVO on one of the "Big Bundles". Additional Multiroom TiVO's attract a fee of £49 for a 500 gig box, or £99 for the 1Tb version.

http://store.virginmedia.com/digital-tv/set-top-boxes/multiroom.html

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos