Menu
Daz15
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

A request for future Tivo upgrades

Can the boffins who designed the Tivo receiver and it's software please look at introducing  user controlled audio sync settings.

I have an AV amp and I have tried every conceivable setting and connection option but nothing fixes the out of sync audio.

Sky has an adjustable audio delay setting that works pretty well.Why can't Tivo have the same ?

I'm afraid it's going to be a deal breaker for me when my contract is up for renewal

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
MattHawkins
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: A request for future Tivo upgrades

It could be the image processing on your TV is delaying the picture. Check the TV settings.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

how are you connecting the tivo to your Amp. i use mine with a optical cable and get perfect sound. so there is no delay tivo side with the encoding. Have you checked your amp dosn;t have a delay set
0 Kudos
Daz15
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Optical cable yes.

There are no delay audio options on the amp....well I can adjust each speaker to take into account the distance away they are from the listener.There is no overall adjustment

Also,I've tried connecting the Tivo box direct to the tv or thru the amp via hdmi.The 1st way the audio is delayed,the 2nd way the audio is ahead of the picture....althought the degree to which it is out varies.

I don't think I'm the only person having this issue 

Incidentally I have also noticed sync issues through the tvs own speaker ! It's as though the audio and video data is being sent independently 

0 Kudos
MattHawkins
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It could be the image processing on your TV is delaying the picture. Check the TV settings.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I reckon Matts on the right lines.

These issues do crop up now and again. But if there were a lot of people experiencing, I think we would have seen a brave few more complaints by now.

Its a more common issue if you surf the various AV forums, across STB's/TV/AV amps generally. - If its a big brand TV, sometimes a firmware update cures it.

I had a very similair issue with a standalone box running Kodi. The solution was to go HDMI>TV and TV optical OUT>Amp

0 Kudos
Daz15
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I think you're right.

I changed the picture option to 'game' and touch wood it seems to be in sync now.

The only downside is the game mode has fewer settings.I had my picture calibrated but a lot of the settings are no longer available.

I've read just changing the name of the input to 'pc' may have a similat effect.I'll give that a try when I get the chance

Cheers

0 Kudos
simon200
Up to speed
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

There are actually many many reports of this problem. 

Because you're using the optical output, the picture goes off to be processed by the TV, and the audio by the sound system, independently. Without an audio delay function, synchronisation cannot be assured. An audio delay feature would certainly be handy. 

Only thing you can do is to turn off as much post-processing functions on the TV, to reduce the picture delay, so that the audio will no longer precede the picture. It's not ideal. This is why HDMI ARC is the best option, though not all receivers are compatible. 

0 Kudos