Menu
Costeta
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

4k TV Broadcasts

Hi,

I'm pleased that Virgin Media have finally revealed the full details of the V6 Tivo 4k box. It's also good that existing customers will get first dibs by the end of the year, no increase in subscription and and a cost of £95, not bad. However I'm worried about some of the presses statements that Virgin Media have not stated if the new box will support 4k TV broadcasts by the likes of BBC, ITV etc.

Does anyone know the answer? Will the new V6 Tivo box support 4k TV broadcasts? I'm not going to part with my money unless that is confirmed.

Thanks

Regards

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: 4k TV Broadcasts

It's a 4K capable box, so yes it will support 4K broadcasts when they happen.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The BBC are trialling a 4K version of IPlayer on selected TV sets with Planet Earth 2 So I would Imagine it will come to the V6 early next year

https://www.avforums.com/news/bbc-trialling-4k-hdr-planet-earth-ii-via-iplayer.13181

The trial is reportedly running from today (8 December 2016) and will stop some time ‘early next year.’ The only issue being, for the moment at least, is on which TVs and/or devices is the footage actually available to view. A news story on the BBC News website stated that currently Panasonic TVs were the only devices able to support the trial but, as far as we know, Panasonic have yet to update their TVs with the necessary Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) standard to actually be able to display the content in HDR. We have asked Panasonic for an official response on this issue.

On the other hand, a selection of our forum members have been checking out the iPlayer app on their 2016 DX902s and 2015 CX902s and have found themselves greeted with the UHD trial message. One member stated, that on the second time of opening, they had to enable the ‘Try New Features,’ setting and, understandably, the iPlayer app has to be the Beta version (also selectable in the menu) to get to the content.

In terms of playback success, there have been different experiences for our members with one able to play the Ultra HD footage on his DX902 but without the HDR mode available, whilst a CX902 user reported success on both fronts with a picture they described as ‘stunning’.

A blog from BBC R&D stated that the filming of Planet Earth II provided the perfect opportunity to capture the documentary in unprecedented quality. The BBC iPlayer test footage follows a jaguar emerging from the shadows to stalk prey and the effects of rain dropping on tiny animals and their habitats, including a range of greens and a frog in a shade of red never before seen on a TV.

The experiment is an early, but important, step toward streaming high-quality Ultra HD programmes on the BBC iPlayer in the future, says the BBC team, and central to the trial is the inclusion of HLG, which the BBC sees as an integral part of future Ultra HD programming.

We’ll update the story once more users have given their feedback.

Update: The BBC has since updated with a list of compatible TVs:

2015: CX680, CX700, CR730, CX800, CR852 and CZ950 Series
2016: DX902, DR852, DX802, DX750, DX720, DX700, DX680 and DX650 series.

The BBC's Head of iPlayer, Dan Taylor-Watt also Tweeted us to say that the BBC 'we're working with other manufacturers to increase the number.'

0 Kudos
Costeta
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi yes I'm aware it is a 4k device but some of the press said that Virgin had not confirmed it would support 4k TV broadcasts from the likes of BBC and ITV possibly next year. However I'm happy with what you said and will now order a V6 Tivo, thank you.

0 Kudos
Costeta
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

H Dannylau,

thank you for that. I have a Sony so unable to get the iPlayer to work. Hopefully Sony are working with the BBC to resolve that.

0 Kudos
Costeta
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

thanks for you advice. I have now ordered my V6 4k Tivo which comes on the 10th Jan. However my wife identified a problem, saving the recordings on the old Tivo. Virgin tell me that the recordings cannot be transferred to the new V6 box. Before I accept this does anyone know if the recordings can be transferred to the new V6 Box or a PC perhaps. I don't think they can, I've never heard of this perhaps because of copyright, but you may know differently.

Thanks

Regards

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You can't transfer them but perhaps you could consider keeping your TiVo when you get your V6. This would allow you to watch outstanding recordings and get rid of the TiVo when done. This would cost around £5 per month extra.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Edited- Ernies answer was better. As usual.

0 Kudos
Costeta
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. The consequences of progress. The benefits far outway this issue

0 Kudos