Menu
Bewlaybro
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

4K streaming any better than the apps already on my TV ?

Ok I'm now eagerly awaiting the arrival of my new Tivo V6 box in January 2017 (can't wait !) But i was wondering as i already have the technology in which to  appreciate the great quality of 4K broadcasts and streaming via the apps on my LG 4K TV, am i to expect a better quality of 4K viewing via the V6 Tivo box ? and if so.. why so ?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 4K streaming any better than the apps already on my TV ?

Viewing probably won't be any better, sound may be if you have a surround sound as the box supports dolby atmos, the limiting factor with these apps on TV is that you're more or less limited to the TVs speaker quality whilst on an external box you can output the sound through a far superior sound system

cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

assuming you have 4k TV and suitable cables etc.

the built-in smart TV apps may well only go up to 1080p full HD, and getting specs from TV manufactures is  a challenge. try here for your TV model

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444

See our features article for your TV manufacturer for information about streaming Netflix in Ultra HD.....

you will get 4K from some boxes, e.g. a Fire TV box will stream amazon's 4K to a 4k tv, if your cables & HDMi ports are at v2.2

for netflix 4K you need to check box specs / apps specs . Fire TV may not - amazon have no interest in making their hardware work better with Netflix as it's a direct rival to prime video

i don't know what the V6 is capable of , for netflix, and it sill does not support amazon video - though we are told that may be coming soon.

roku 4 is probably the best 4k box on the market , it claims to upscale HD content for 4K TV as well as support 4k streams

whether you can actually see the difference between working 4K and full HD - for a given screen size & view distance - is a separate debate

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Viewing probably won't be any better, sound may be if you have a surround sound as the box supports dolby atmos, the limiting factor with these apps on TV is that you're more or less limited to the TVs speaker quality whilst on an external box you can output the sound through a far superior sound system

cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

assuming you have 4k TV and suitable cables etc.

the built-in smart TV apps may well only go up to 1080p full HD, and getting specs from TV manufactures is  a challenge. try here for your TV model

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444

See our features article for your TV manufacturer for information about streaming Netflix in Ultra HD.....

you will get 4K from some boxes, e.g. a Fire TV box will stream amazon's 4K to a 4k tv, if your cables & HDMi ports are at v2.2

for netflix 4K you need to check box specs / apps specs . Fire TV may not - amazon have no interest in making their hardware work better with Netflix as it's a direct rival to prime video

i don't know what the V6 is capable of , for netflix, and it sill does not support amazon video - though we are told that may be coming soon.

roku 4 is probably the best 4k box on the market , it claims to upscale HD content for 4K TV as well as support 4k streams

whether you can actually see the difference between working 4K and full HD - for a given screen size & view distance - is a separate debate

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I think what is more important here is to say what is added by V6 to Netflix operation.

The answer is integration and ease of use, through the Series Link+ option to include streaming sources in any series link.

By setting a Series Link+ to recording and streaming sources, V6 will get programs from Netflix if they are not currently being broadcast. You can then start viewing them from My Shows seamlessly.

The way I use this function is to set Series Link+s for Netflix only series that are not or have never been broadcast so I can watch them from My Shows.

cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

all that series link integration is already there on Tivo ?

that fact I did not have to hand, maybe you do, is whether the V6 netflix app also supports 4k content, which Tivo cannot do

as for upscaling HD sources to 4K screen- its likely all 4K sets have that abilitybuilt-in, so whether the app or the streaming box can also upscale may be of little import

0 Kudos
Bewlaybro
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sure i do have a Panasonic Soundbar with subwoofer which performs quite well for me with my LG Ultra HD 4K TV, the only issue being a rather annoying time delay at times especially while viewing shows via Netflix. Many thanks for the reply 

0 Kudos
Bewlaybro
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for the reply cybmole, how can i check if my cables & HDMi ports are at v2.2 ?

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

for ports you have to check TV manual or spec.possibly the TV makers saved pennies by not making all the inputs good for 4k you may have to use a specific one

for HDMi cables ( discussed in another thread) anything sold as "high speed" shoudl be OK. the cable just has to be fast enough for the 4k copy protection handshake tests to work

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Bewlaybro wrote:

Sure i do have a Panasonic Soundbar with subwoofer which performs quite well for me with my LG Ultra HD 4K TV, the only issue being a rather annoying time delay at times especially while viewing shows via Netflix. Many thanks for the reply 

most soundbars have an audio delay  setting that you can tweak, If you are using an optical audio connection the usual issue is that sound comes slightlly before the picture, as the TV is still doing it's final spit and polish image processing prior to display while the speakers are already on the case.

...that can take 100milli seconds or so - which does not sound a lot but is long enough for you to notice that the audio is a bit off

but you could easily spend from now till Xmas reading googled theads about lip sync issues and how to fix them/ what casuses them. so unless it really really bugs you...

I dunno about v6 but netflix on tivo always defaults to 5:1 surround sound even when your TV is stereo only. flipping that to 2.0 stereo often improves the audio but you have to do that step for every show, it won'd store a preference. The netflix windows 10 store app has the same annoyance, but if you use Edge browser instead, you can get simple stereo by default

some folks advocate connecting all sources to your sound bar or surround sound amp via HDMi, then have a single HDMi from there to TV,  the picture  tehn gets passed through to the tv with well-synced sound ( in theory).

the whole business of "proper" 6 channel sound - 6 outputs to 6 speakers  ( only works with HDMi) vs Dolby audio aka AC3 which manages to send 6 channels over optical in a compressed form vs whatever on board virtual sound gimmicks your gear has -  is immensely confusing.

AFAIK anything streamed is 5.1 Dolby Surround at best ( aka 6 channel AC3 ) which can be transmitted vis optial / SPDIF/ coax. . The full on 6 outputs stuff is only found on DVD/ Blu Ray discs as it needs a lot more bandwidth. If you see DTS on the disc label , that's the high end audio option but most TVs can't process it- some soundbars can but in most cases the soundbar is really only 2 channel, no matter now many actual speakers it has built in. Real surround needs real speakers all around the room + wires to match

now add in hollywood's mania for copy protection schemes & you have a right old dogs breakfast - luckily I am old enough to actually prefer good old stereo Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

all that series link integration is already there on Tivo ?

that fact I did not have to hand, maybe you do, is whether the V6 netflix app also supports 4k content, which Tivo cannot do

as for upscaling HD sources to 4K screen- its likely all 4K sets have that abilitybuilt-in, so whether the app or the streaming box can also upscale may be of little import

Absolutely but, even when TiVo was performing at its best, Netflix performance was poor. V6 has the performance to make this function of Series Link+ worth using.

0 Kudos