Menu
Costeta
Tuning in
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

4K TIVO BOX

Hi,

does anyone know if Virgin plan to do a 4K TIVO box?

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: 4K TIVO BOX

Costeta wrote:

Hi,

does anyone know if Virgin plan to do a 4K TIVO box?

Well at least, after a long wait, there is finally a standard to which they can work.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01/06/ten_years_in_4k_gets_a_standard/

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Costeta
Tuning in
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi, yes good point. I appreciate there has got to be content before Virgin considers a 4K TIVO box. Perhaps some 4K broadcasts from the main channels or some Virgin 4k on demand content.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Costeta wrote:

Hi, yes good point. I appreciate there has got to be content before Virgin considers a 4K TIVO box. Perhaps some 4K broadcasts from the main channels or some Virgin 4k on demand content.

Content may not be the primary issue. I assume that, when they do produce suitable boxes, both Virgin and Sky will build them to the agreed standard. That might prove interesting for TVs manufactured before the standard was agreed.

Cassette/Cartridge (I had the latter), VHS/Betamax (I had the latter), HD-DVD/Blu-Ray ( I waited).

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Skys new box falls woefully short of the new standard unless they revamp it before it goes into production

0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Only if they want the "premium" label - which it looks as if most will not bother with

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

ozsat wrote:

Only if they want the "premium" label - which it looks as if most will not bother with

4k without the increased colour space and no 60fps is a waste of time

0 Kudos
crypticc
Superfast
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Agree with color space.  And in october when my current renewal contract ruins out I'll be moving if Virgin doesn't have a clear plan for HDR 4k.

But Is the word you're looking for when you mention 60 fps actually "progressive scan"?

For example, we get 50 today on PAL (albeit not really as we get 2*25 interlaced fields which increase time spacial resolution and relies upon persistence of vision to hide the cost which is loss  pixel resolution).

60fps isn't a must have (yet)  and there's only been two movies released in 60 fps ... So isn't at the top of anyone's wish list as far as I know.  5 years from now...yes. By which time we should all be asking when the 120 fps implementation of 4k, or 3d 4k at 60, or 8k at 60..all supported by the standards agreed this year.

I'd place more emphasis on high def audio, DTS or even Dolby. It's unacceptable to see how much Virgin film rental programming is even missing the basic pro logic mix that you only spot after agreeing the rental.

Cheers

----------------------------------------------------------
TiVo video output scaling-bugs

Tivo-scaling-bug

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

60fps is the new De facto standard for 4k, you need an HDMI 2.0a port for this, Sky's box has a 1.4 (according to info released)

0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I suspect it is based on the original software versions being shipped - the max resolution supported only says 1080

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos