Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
One to Watch
Danjib

Ludicrously slow internet

Dear Virgin Media,

For the last week or two, my internet speeds have been extremely slow almost consistently. Specifically, when trying to download files, the transfer rate has been below 200Kb/s, which is only a tiny fraction of the 50Mb/s I should be getting.

I have tried phoning up, but I became so sick of talking to machines and navigating through irrelevant menus, especially when it's costing me money to do so, only to be put on hold. The website did not help me either, insisting that the service status is fine and offering me tips to speed up my connection that have no relevance to me.

I am confident in the connection between my laptop and the modem, and I am not downloading excessive amounts, therefore the only explanation I can see for the slowness in internet speeds is to do with the connection being supplied to the modem. Also, no part of my set-up has changed recently, so I don't see how I can be faulted for the sudden change in speed.

This is really my last resort, so please, help me with this. I will gladly provide any information you require if you direct me in doing so, but I would ask that you don't waste my time in this by offering such generic tips as "use an ethernet cable". I would really appreciate some personal advice.

I am trying to be polite but it is incredibly frustrating for the internet to be going so slowly when I am paying for the fastest speed available in my area.

Thank you for your time,

Dan

Please use plain text.
Crafty
Deadstrobe

Re: Ludicrously slow internet

Hi there Dan.

I'm not going to sugest silly things like 'use an ethernet cable' but obviously this will be a good method to use to see what's going on, so that part aside...

Speedtests aren't to be taken as gospel, try downloading actual files (and if possible say where the files are being downloaded from). If you are intent on using speedtests, use London servers on speedtest.net or use the Virginmedia speedtest.

Check that all you're downstream power levels are within optimal range (Generally looking around the '0' mark for that, but anything between -13 to +17dbmv is fine).

If you don't know how to find that: 192.168.0.1 (Hubs IP address, pop it in the address bar).

'Advance settings' below the three little red boxes.

'Connections' under the 'Maintenance' section, and the table of information should display the 'Power' and what they are valued at in 'dbmv'.

If all of those seem to be in order, I can only suggest to give Tech Support a call, I know it's not what you want to hear, but they are there to help as much as they can (They're only human afterall :smileytongue:).

But I hope this helps in anyway, I obviously don't want to go outright and say 'call tech support' but if everything in the hub looks fine, you might need to call to check the cable line, area etc.

Hope you get this resolved :smileyhappy:.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Danjib

Thanks for the reply.

The reason I mention the tip about the ethernet cable being particularly unhelpful is that I'm already connected to the modem via ethernet cable. As I said, everything about my setup is fine and has not changed at all recently, so the fault can only be with the connection supplied to us, as far as I can see.

The speeds I'm talking about are the result of downloading actual files. But regardless, I don't need speed tests or downloads to tell me that I'm not getting anywhere near what I'm paying for, and that is unnacceptable. Heck, I couldn't even RUN the BBC speedtest because the internet was just going too slowly! For what I pay for, I'd expect to be able to watch videos in HD, but at the moment, even normal quality is out of the question.

Downstream power levels all seem to be in order. I'll post all the connection data here in case it's needed:

Connection

Startup Procedure
ProcedureStatusComment
Acquire Downstream Channel315000000 HzLocked
Connectivity StateOKOperational
Boot StateOKOperational
Configuration FileOK 
SecurityEnabledBPI+

Downstream Channels
Lock StatusModulationChannel IDMax Raw Bit RateFrequencyPowerSNRDocsis/EuroDocsis locked
LockedQAM25620455616000 Kbits/sec315000000 Hz-2.9 dBmV38.2 dBHybrid
LockedQAM25620155616000 Kbits/sec291000000 Hz-1.5 dBmV39.0 dBHybrid
LockedQAM25620255616000 Kbits/sec299000000 Hz-1.8 dBmV38.6 dBHybrid
LockedQAM25620355616000 Kbits/sec307000000 Hz-2.2 dBmV38.4 dBHybrid
UnlockedUnknown00 Ksym/sec0 Hz0.0 dBmV0.0 dBUnknown

Upstream Channels
Lock StatusModulationChannel IDMax Raw Bit RateFrequencyPower
LockedATDMA120480 Kbits/sec27400000 Hz49.0 dBmV
UnlockedUnknown00 Ksym/sec0 Hz0.0 dBmV

Primary Downstream Service Flow
Downstream(0)
SFID162
Max Traffic Rate53000000 bps
Max Traffic Burst3044 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate0 bps

Primary Upstream Service Flow
Upstream(0)
SFID161
Max Traffic Rate5140000 bps
Max Traffic Burst8160 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst8160 bytes
Scheduling TypeBest Effort

I wish tech support were "only human". Like I say, I've tried phoning up but I've only ever got through to machines. The purpose of this thread is to get some human advice. And while of course I appreciate your input, I'd really like to hear what Virgin Media have to say about all this. The speeds I'm getting are unnacceptable and at the very least I expect a full refund for this last month.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
adacom

your power levels are ok - the OP gave wrong info - levels should be -3 to +7 - so you are at low end but that should not matter

you say you are wired so again that cuts out all wifi problems - you need to do a couple of speed tests - speedtest.net on london namesco or paris are usually ok

try tem as you have it and if its a windows pc try it in safe mode with networking 

look at your network card drivers make sure they are uptodate and if you have a spare lan cable change that between the modem and your pc

you say you are wired between the modem - which actually looks like a super hub - so try switching it to modem mode and running the tests direct - you may have to move the lan cable - only the one next to the coax works in modem mode

post back with some results

Tony
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Danjib

Yeah, I guess I meant Super Hub. What's the difference between "modem mode" and whatever it's in now?

I'm sure my network drivers are up to date as this is a relatively new laptop. Besides, the internet has not just been slow for me but for all my housemates as well. This also eliminates the possibility of a bad cable. Also, surely if the problem were to do my network drivers, it would have been slow from the start rather than just recently?

It would seem that as I am writing this the internet is going faster than it has in weeks. Speedtest reports a DL speed of 32.60 Mbps and an UL speed of 4.74 Mbps. However, judging by the recent speeds I am doubtful that it will be this fast for long. And it still doesn't make up for all the slowness we've had to face in the recent weeks.

Once again, I appreciate the reply, but I am certain that the problem is with Virgin Media. I will continue to carry out any worthwhile suggestions, but I am doubtful that any will work. I will try a speed test in modem mode when the internet next slows down, as carrying one out now wouldn't really prove anything.

Thanks again.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Danjib

(I don't know how to edit a message, or even if it's possible, but this is just a quick note to say that, in the short space of time since my last reply, my download speed has dropped to about 11 Mbps. Still much better than it has been, but still only 1/5 of what I'd expect, and it's probably only going to get worse!)

Please use plain text.
Expert Opinionator
Dai_T

Hi Danjib, 

The UBR which handles your connection is currently suffering from very high utilisation, particularly at peak times. This has been raised to our network teams under reference F001869985. Work to resolve this issue is currently scheduled to take place on 26/09/2012 (although this may be subject to change).

We're very sorry for the inconvenience this has caused.

Dai_T
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Danjib

Thank you very much, I'm glad to hear that there's a reason for the current slowness.
Please use plain text.
Brainbox
Binton3

...and your happy that this may only be fixed in 5 months time? going by past posts this date is subject to slip to 2013...i'm sure you require stable broadband before then and preferably the service which you are paying for?
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Danjib

Wow, I completely misread the date - I assumed it was this month! Thank you for pointing that out.

You're absolutely right, this is an outrage! Or at least, that's what I would be saying if my internet speeds were still as poor as they were. As it happens, a speed test just now revealed a happy 49 Mbps.

However, this thread has raised a number of questions. What about the weeks when I had to put up with poor internet speeds? What if it happens again? Am I just supposed to tolerate it? If this fault does affect me, what then? What if I had not made this enquiry - would I ever have been told the reason for the sub-standart speed I was getting?

As it stands, I fully intend to find a different ISP when my contract ends.

Please use plain text.