Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
Little_Chris

Ending a contract early

Hi,

I upgraded from 20mb about three months ago to 60mb.

When I first upgraded I was getting great speeds but now as more and more customer are upgraded and switched to different servers, the service has deteriorated. 

I'm now getting around 5mb - 10mb d/l speeds at peak times with ridiculously high pings.

I don't download music, films etc and use the broadband for surfing the net and COD.

It's very apparent from reading in this forum the VM are unable to permanently resolve the issue of over utilisation / slow speeds.

Instead of raising a ticket and being told that something will happen in a couple of weeks and then finding out a month later that I'm still in the same position, I think I'll save myself the stress and find a different provider.

If I can prove that VM have provided me with poor speeds and a very fluctuating service over the past few months, can I simply end my contract. I spend over £120.00 per month (2 x TIVO, 1 x VPLUS, 2 x Phones, 1 x 60mb!, Movies etc) with VM and am sure that another provider could improve on this farce.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
Mr_F

Re: Ending a contract early

Managed to terminate mine tonight without early termination penalty. Suffered 6 months of appalling broadband, even after they had "fixed" the ubr issues. Looking forward to my new fibre...:-)
Please use plain text.
Good to Know
umbrokhan

you might be able to cancel the sevice because of the price rise. before 1st feb.

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
mackembulldog

Thanks for this... although Im not sure I can just drop the broadband from an XL package

Please use plain text.
Wizard
JF92

It really depends. Some advisors will persist and tell you its a MUST but some will wave the early termination fee.

Its really who you get through to so good luck.
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Little_Chris

Thanks for all of your advice. Will give them a call on Friday to sort it out.

BT Infinity upto 76mb is available in my area. Anyone have any thoughts on this as a suitable alternative.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Wizard
Draex

Little_Chris wrote:

Thanks for all of your advice. Will give them a call on Friday to sort it out.

BT Infinity upto 76mb is available in my area. Anyone have any thoughts on this as a suitable alternative.

Thanks.

Leave, they cannot keep you in contract as they are failing to provide the service advertised.

Bt Infinity is built from the ground up so it wont experience 10% of the issues Virgin is (Virgin is built on an archaic infrastructure and thus will always have bottleneck issues due to overselling - unless they pay a fortune to upgrade it properly.. Which they wont.)

Get Bt Infinity if you can - if you can't adsl will be more stable.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
Mr_F

Argue the point that they have failed to supply you with what they advertised, failed to resolve the issues you raised. You should be able to escape without penalty. They can't argue and would lose if taken to court. As has been pointed out, archaic infrastructure that cannot cope. Infinity 2 blows Virgin out of the water for consistency, which is what we all want.
Please use plain text.