Ask a question
Clever-clogs
wasted

virgin come out to fix services an only make it worse.

I recently had an enginneer at my home looking into a long term issue where my speeds would drop to sub 10mb untill my modem was rebooted,  after months and months of phone calls  and emails  this enginneer came out an finally checked things an changed my modem.  You can see some of this issue posted here

For few days after this everything was fine an then i noticed my power levels seemed to be higher than they were before and when downloading at 30mb or more the modem keeps dropping the connection,  the modem sync light flashes untill it reconnects an all my connections die.  Given i run 2 desktop pcs,  2 game consoles, 2 iphones an 1 ipad all from this connection surfing, gaming and downloading it tends to go above 30mb alot of the time but now its proving to be almost useless.

Below i have included a copy of the up and down stream config pages from the modem and the modem log were youll see some of the drops where the modem shows "Ranging Request Retries exausted;" T3 and T4 time outs. 

Frequency299000000307000000315000000N/A
Lock Status
(QAM Lock/FEC Sync/MPEG Lock)
Y/Y/YY/Y/YY/Y/YN/N/N
Channel Id575859N/A
Modulation256QAM256QAM256QAMN/A
Symbol Rate
(Msym/sec)
6.9526.9526.952N/A
Interleave DepthI=12
J=17
I=12
J=17
I=12
J=17
N/A
Power Level
(dBmV)
7.036.376.02N/A
RxMER
(dB)
38.6139.4039.40N/A
Correctable
Codewords
000N/A
Uncorrectable
Codewords
287278277N/A

Channel Type2.0N/AN/AN/A
Channel ID3N/AN/AN/A
Frequency
(Hz)
45800000N/AN/AN/A
Ranging StatusSuccessN/AN/AN/A
Modulation16QAMN/AN/AN/A
Symbol Rate
(KSym/sec)
5120N/AN/AN/A
Mini-Slot Size1N/AN/AN/A
Power Level
(dBmV)
49.25N/AN/AN/A
T1 Timeouts0
T2 Timeouts0000
T3 Timeouts46000
T4 Timeouts2000

Sat Jul 10 00:25:51 2010     Sat Jul 10 01:24:12 2010     Critical (3)     No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Sat Jul 10 01:24:13 2010     Sat Jul 10 01:24:13 2010     Critical (3)     Ranging Request Retries exausted;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Sat Jul 10 01:24:13 2010     Sat Jul 10 01:24:13 2010     Critical (3)     Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Sat Jul 10 01:25:26 2010     Sat Jul 10 01:25:41 2010     Critical (3)     No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Sat Jul 10 01:26:11 2010     Sat Jul 10 01:26:11 2010     Critical (3)     Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Sat Jul 10 01:27:01 2010     Sat Jul 10 01:27:15 2010     Critical (3)     No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Sat Jul 10 01:27:45 2010     Sat Jul 10 01:27:45 2010     Critical (3)     Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Before i could use my connection albeit at a slower speed than i pay for but in the past few days since virgin are supposed to have fix that i cant keep connected long enough to do much except email.

It would be  totally amazing if virgin could sort,  without mucking anything else up lol.

thanks.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
Sephiroth

Re: virgin come out to fix services an only make it worse.

If your modem's amplifier is overdriven by high input power, then what you're seeing can be reconciled to that.

There are line amplifiers in the street, usually.  These can misfunction or may not be correctly set up.  There is fine tuning that can be done (Gain/Equalisation).  Sometimes an attenuator doesn't solve the problem as you've seen on the forum. 

IMO you need to be on top of the engineer so that all things are considered.

HTH.

Seph - (My advice is at your risk)

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Ignition

There nothing in here to indicate that the issue is downstream, zero incrementing of downstream FECs, corrected or otherwise, and those power levels will not be so powerful for the modem that they cause issues.

I'm more inclined to look at the upstream path - the T3 and T4 timeouts do give cause for concern.

A wise course of action would be to replace the modem to eliminate it, and if that fails to resolve this should be checked by networks. I note the OP is on a 5.12Msym upstream which will be more prone to upstream impairments.

Tech support can check the modem and see if there are power adjustments or other issues with the upstream path.

-----
If you found my post helpful I'm clearly not trying hard enough.
Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
wasted

[ Edited ]

I rang the faults department and after being hung up on by 1 asian person i rang back an was redircted to another department that deal with pc problems not modem ones by another asian person i rang back for a 3rd time to get yet another asian person who told me theres nothing wrong with my modem at all, he then rebooted it an told me to ring back if it happens again,  when i asked him about the T3 an T4 timeouts  he hungup.

I at that point gave up.

In the past 4 hours the modem has logged over 77 T3 timeouts and a load of T4 timeouts,  the connection has been dropped 8 times.

At this point im at a loss as to what to do, it took me almost 8 months to get them to do anything with the original problem and now that theyve made it worse i can only imagine what its going to take this time.

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
wasted

The connect over the past hour has been dropping every 2 - 3mins so i hunted out the phone number to 50mb broadband support an called them,  the guy i spoke to there put me on hold for about 5 mins  during which time the connection dropped 2 more times,  when he returned he confirmed he could see the modem dropping the connection an said hed pass it to networks and that would take 2 days an i should call back then.

Is this the normal procedure?  seems rather odd to me.

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Ignition

wasted wrote:

The connect over the past hour has been dropping every 2 - 3mins so i hunted out the phone number to 50mb broadband support an called them,  the guy i spoke to there put me on hold for about 5 mins  during which time the connection dropped 2 more times,  when he returned he confirmed he could see the modem dropping the connection an said hed pass it to networks and that would take 2 days an i should call back then.

Is this the normal procedure?  seems rather odd to me.

No, you were blagged. This is pretty much the quality of Virgin's off-shore 'support' for anything that isn't on their scripts to be honest.

-----
If you found my post helpful I'm clearly not trying hard enough.
Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
wasted

I thought as much,  i guess ill have to tryin phoning tomorrow morning or hope one of the tech guys reads this post an responds.

:mansad:

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
wasted

Any virgin tech support guys here?  could one of you look into this issue.

Please use plain text.
Expert Opinionator
Paul_M

HI wasted,

To resolve this we need to book you an engineer.  There are some uncorrectable codewords and your modem is appearing high on the flap list with lots of power adjustments.  This is causing the not remain locked online.  Can you please reply back with a list of days that you will be available for a visit along with a choice of the following timeslots: 8am-12pm, 12pm-4pm and 4pm-7pm.

Thanks

Paul
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
wasted

Hi paul,

Thanks for replying.  Any day from 4pm-7pm would be great.

thanks

Please use plain text.