Just joined
tystoneye

port forwarding

hello out there

can anybody help me

have recently upgraded to 50mb and have been given the new netgear vmdg480 super hub

and am having problems getting it 2 work properly with my buffalo linkstation live network access drive.

when trying to do the easy set up it says port forwarding failed use manuel set up

so go into advanced set up and try to do it with auto configure firewall it comes up with same error message so disable auto config and it asks for external port number does anyone know what this is please

Please use plain text.
Tech Wizard II
James_G

Re: port forwarding

Hi tystoneye,

This function is unsupported by the forum team.

However, another user on the forum has posted how they set their's up which can be found on this thread.

Regards,

James Gilbert

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.

Please can we ask you not to PM the Forum team unless requested to do so by us
Please use plain text.
Just joined
tystoneye

hey james g

thanks 4 the pointer but have solvedg the problem  now what i had 2 do was change my ip address from dynamic 2 static which virgin dont do so had a lil look round on the net& found a programe called port forward set up static ip which i downloaded then it fives u the potion 2 switch between static & dynamic & now havin no prob but thanks 4 gettin back 2 me

Please use plain text.
Just joined
hamed

I am experiencing the same problem which you had, I have tried to follow your instructions and set my ip to static but the linkstation responds with the same error. Are there any settings that need to be made with the router port forwarding? Thanks
Please use plain text.
Tech Wizard III
legacy1

tystoneye wrote:

hey james g

thanks 4 the pointer but have solvedg the problem  now what i had 2 do was change my ip address from dynamic 2 static which virgin dont do so had a lil look round on the net& found a programe called port forward set up static ip which i downloaded then it fives u the potion 2 switch between static & dynamic & now havin no prob but thanks 4 gettin back 2 me

There is nothing stopping you using a static ip as long as its between 192.168.0.2 – 192.168.0.254 the whole VM don't do static ip is to do with your public IP not your local IP's. 

Also you can't use 192.168.0.1 as a DNS pointer you must use real DNS IP's.  

------------------
Die-hard direct connection modem user :smileytongue:
Believing is catch 22 the VMDG280 should never of been made the Super hubs 1 & 2 could have been built better the years go by and we can't see the mistakes that were made to make things right.
The more that use modem mode the more we need IPv6: Pingtest, BQM,Outgoing ports test
Please use plain text.
Just joined
tystoneye

i used a programe called port  forwarding set up static ip which made everything static

once thats done it gives u a list of all ip address's on router u need 2 copy ip address of device ur wanting 2 set up then go into ur router home page click advance settings in the left hand coloum ul find port forwarding click that then lil box pops up click add & in lil box above add tab u need 2 put name of device then where its askin 4 ports if its a linkstation/terastation u need 2 use port 9000 in both places then put in ip address u copied from setting up static hope that helps

Please use plain text.
Just joined
tystoneye

i used a programe called port forwarding set up static ip which made everything static

once thats done it gives u a list of all ip address's on router u need 2 copy ip address of device ur wanting 2 set up then go into ur router home page click advance settings in the left hand coloum ul find port forwarding click that then lil box pops up click add & in lil box above add tab u need 2 put name of device then where its askin 4 ports if its a linkstation/terastation u need 2 use port 9000 in both places then put in ip address u copied from setting up static hope that helps
Please use plain text.
Just joined
hamed

Thank you for the prompt response.

What I actually did was to disable the folder that had been originally shared and instead share another folder. The original folder that had been shared was 400GB and the other folder was much smaller.

When I tried this, everything started working. I can only conclude that my ports were being blocked by the isp because the size of the folder being shared was to large.

Other useful tools that helped in the resolution was www.canyouseeme.org which allows you to check if ports (such as 9000) had been blocked for your ip address.

Settings i used on linkstation webaccess page:

WebAccess Service: Enabled

HTTPS/SSL Encryption: Disabled
Use BuffaloNAS.com: Enabled
BuffaloNAS.com Name: (use your own)
BuffaloNAS.com Key: (use your own)
DNS Hostname: -
Auto-Configure Firewall (UPnP): Disabled
External Port: 9000
NAS Internal Port: 9000
Exclusive session: Disabled
Session expiration time (minute): 30
WebAccess URL: http://buffalonas.com/(use your own)

No other settings had been changed on the virgin router (no port forwarding setup)

Please use plain text.
Just joined
hamed

Actually just realised that I also need to log into my router and set up port forwarding (too) for port 9000  in both cases. Otherwise the linkstation cannot be accessed online outside of my wireless connection

Please use plain text.
Settled in nicely I
bjhollingsworth

Can anyone independently confirm that 'canyouseeme' works once port forwarding has been setup? I have tried on port 9000 and on port 7000 but the service is telling me that the connection is refused in both instances.

If the port forwarding isn't working on the super hub then it simply isn't fit for purpose.
Please use plain text.