Ask a question
Bright Spark
bodgeup

anyone received a letter titled "Detrimental use of your broadband connection"???

Im a long time customer of Virgin Media peviousl Telewest Blueyonder and have always had a brilliant service on the top end packages.  Currently im on 50mb connection and it works brilliantly i always get full speeds of around 4-5Mbits/s.  I dont download 24hrs a day but when i do download HD content it does download at full speed and uploads at a specified limit of 60Kb/s.  This is using IPLAYER, C4's player & sky anytime.

To my dismay i received a letter from Virgin the other day titled "Detrimental use of your broadband connection".  It basically says that they have noticed that my connection is dtransfering a heavy amount of data and that they say it is now having an adverse affect on there network.

So they have asked me to keep my downloads & uploads between 9pm & 9am to ensure i don't inadvertently affect the enjoyment of other users in my area.

I was pretty shocked to receive this as I just use my connection for Home entertainment purposes which mainly involves downloading and watching HD content from reputable sources.  I have set up traffic shaping software that stops me from uploading more than 60kb/s at any time which mainly comes from sharing back the videos that are downloaded using these sources own programs.  I know that when i do download a video it will hit the full speed of my connection but normally this doesn't go on for more than 30 mins as it downloads so quick.  I pay for the top end package as they say there is no limits of bandwidth use within acceptable use.  But do VM realize that now days with HD content being downloaded more and more what acceptable use should be?

Has anyone else recieved this letter from Virgin media??  I'd love to hear your views on this.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
raza777

Re: anyone received a letter titled "Detrimental use of your broadband connection"???

[ Edited ]

Hi, This is the very question I asked on my thread. The answer I got from one of the guys was exactly what is stated in your letter (i.e. download between 9pm-9am). I tend to download between 500GB-1Tb every month and was very worried about this same thing. Thankfully I only download between 9pm-9am and haven't received a letter yet. I think it's appauling that you have recieved a letter stating so, because when I signed upto VM 50Mb i asked the sales person in simple words about download limitation and fair usage policies and I was told unequivocally that "there are no such things on the XXL package" and "we only operate an acceptable usage policy which is there for your protection (i.e. content control)". Nonetheless, this is my first month with VM if I hear anything I will post it up.

Regards,

Raz

Please use plain text.
Expert Opinionator
SouthWaleschris

Re: anyone received a letter titled "Detrimental use of your broadband connection"???

There are no limitations on how much you can download BUT! 50mb does have a fair usage policy.

Where ever you maybe.... Let your wind go free!

"So in retrospect the best cable to get is cat5e"
Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
bodgeup

Im only downloading HD Films & TV series from IPLAYER, SKY ANYTIME & C4.  

I just think that they need to revise there Fair Use Policy seeing as file sizes are getting bigger and bigger.  Also Shouldnt there be more than enough bandwidth available for users of the 50meg service to be able to use that connection to its fullest.

Also VM are supposedly bringing out a 100meg download & 10meg Upload service.  Surely this means that users are going to be transferring much more data.  Also doesn't having such a high upload speed invite users to download & upload much more.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
Muppetwar

What use is an 'acceptable use' policy when it doesn't tell you what's acceptable. Further more even if it did we have no way of measuring usage in order to know whether it's been exceeded.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
cbram71

[ Edited ]

I have received one well 2 actually cause the term unlimited which Virgin Media use means that without restiction!

I shall terminate my contact when BT Infinity is available at least they make perfectly clear their AUP VM dont

Please use plain text.
Superuser
canveyboy

[ Edited ]

I got the same a few weeks ago and they try and hide behind the fair usage policy and try to say unlimited downloading is seperate from this policy, I fail to see the diffrence and dont know why others accept this weak excuse. you can either download without limits at the speeds allowed or you cannot. simple if you ask me. where does it say you cannot download large files between 9am - 9pm ? it doesnt. VM are being evasive on this topic at the moment.

anyhooo my thread is HERE  if you wish to read my response to Virgin, They arnt saying much at the moment and the CEO's office is dragging its heels in answering my questions put to them.

Treat that letter with the contempt it deserves, I Have.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
cbram71

i sent an e-mail to the ceo and even they skirted around the issue and was to be expected well if anyone at VM reads this then my issue is now going to be forwarded to OFCOM

Please use plain text.
Superuser
canveyboy

Seems more and more people are getting these letters now.

Im waiting until 28 days has past since the CEO's office acknowledged my email to them before I let rip if I get no reply.

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
Rancid

Oh dear......

in the last few days i have download atleast 3 or so emails, some of them even had HTML pictures and stuff.

waiting for my letter from VM which is screaming abuse for me having the bare faced cheek to turn on any sort of IP enabled device between the hours of 9:00am to 8:59am.

Shame on you VM....

Shame on you...

Cid.
* i do not have an MCSE and therefore my advice is not endorsed by the Lord *
Please use plain text.