What should be download speed and upload on a 30mb package

Sorry if this has been posted up. 

Share Image

What i got last nite at 5.40 pm 

Please use plain text.
Human Answer Bank
pippincp

Re: What should my Download speed and Upload speed be on a 30mb package

I'll give you a clue. You are on a 30Mb's downstream package.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Please note: I have no connection with Virgin Media. All posts are my own opinion only.
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Justkeith

Download speed should "ideally" be around 30Mbs, Upload about 10% of that.

If you are using a wireless connection, this could be throttling your download speed, particularly if it is wireless G.

Easiest way to test this is to try a wired connection to the superhub.

It may also be worth running the speed test on different servers, I'm in Plymouth but usually get the best results from the Maidenhead server.

Keith

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
RRjones

[ Edited ]

"I'll give you a clue. You are on a 30Mb's downstream package."

Funny Guy 

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
RRjones

wired.JPGWired

Please use plain text.
Dr. Yes
John_O

Hi RRjones, 

As you are receiving the full 30mb when on a wired connection I would recommend checking a few things regarding your wireless (as well as ensuring your wireless adapter is 'N' rated).

Wireless signal issues can be difficult to diagnose via the forums but I will try and cover everything here. The first thing to consider is the build of the house, Is your house an old build with thick interior walls? This can significantly reduce the signal passing through them.The second is the location of the router in relation to other electrical devices. Is the router positioned near any TV's, Set Top Boxes, cordless phones etc, or does the path between the router and device cross any of these. Again these can sometimes affect the strength of the signal.A good option in trying to resolve these issues is to change the broadcast channel from within the config pages. To do this enter 192.168.0.1 into your browser (username = admin, password = changeme). Channels 1,6 and 11 are the 3 channels that do not overlap but if you download a program called inSIDDer it will tell you what is the least used channel in your area. 

Regards,

John O

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
RRjones

Been away for a while 

Will check all details when  i get a min.

Thanks 

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
RRjones

[ Edited ]

John

I have not download the program yet but one thing I have noticed is that when the whole virgin set up was installed they placed the router behide my telly and next to the cordless phone as the engineer said it would need to be close so everything can hook up to it.

Surely if this is know to cause a issue with wireless signal why did they suggest it and then after installed it there?

Will try and change the channels etc tonight

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
RRjones

[ Edited ]

Ok 

Here is what i found out tonight 

Moved the router away from all electric appliances im sitting no further away then 3 meters and changed the channel to 6 and im still only getting 20mbs at a push. 

Would changing to a different channel make a difference. Also when looking at inssider it shows im using 2+6 as the channel what does this mean.

Please use plain text.
LT
Brainbox
LT

think you'll find its down to local high uttilisation issue (overused network)

some of us in plymouth are suffering more than others  im lucky if i get anywhere near 10mb at anytime and from 5pm till 2/3 am im lucky if i can do anything at all due to speeds being sub 1mb

according to vm when i joined in november last year there was only 57 people on the 30 mb network   from day one its had slow speeds  but rather than fix it they are still selling it without telling the customer of the problem and as of yesterday there was 75 people on the network  this is causing overuse apparently and resulting in very poor speeds. thats pretty bad when you think about it  there cables cant handle more than 50 people at a time what a joke

STOP SELLING THE SERVICE TILL YOU CAN FIX IT  

Please use plain text.