Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
stukidd

What is acceptable Jitter?

Hi Guys, 

Can anyone tell me what is an acceptable level of jitter on a 50 mb line?  Using pingtest.net more often than not the jitter is more than 50% of my ping level. 0 - 2% packet loss, 20-30 ms ping, 15-30 ms jitter.  Playing any of the COD games is a nightmare with lag, and Black ops is particularly bad.

If this isn't the problem what else could it be?

Thanks. 

Please use plain text.
Boffin
Babypanda

Re: What is acceptable Jitter?

Just my own thoughts.....

In reality there should be little to no jitter, but VM seems to suffer with it.
I personally would say 20ms jitter is ok, but its the average that is important. The max ping is important if the frequency of the high ping spikes is common.

Please note the jitter and subsequent lag in games could be a wireless issue.

If your maximum ping is only 60ms, then you don't really have problems

Just as a test, use cmd.exe and ping test

ping bbc.co.uk -n 250

After the ping test (a good few minutes) you will have a summary.

e.g. I just did the test and got....

Ping statistics for 212.58.241.131:
Packets: Sent = 250, Received = 250, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 85ms, Average = 27ms

Although 85ms is nasty it likely only happened once, and you will really not notice it while gaming.
It is the packet loss or super high ping spikes that will cause game problems.
------------------------------------------
If a post is helpful offer Kudos, if it answers or solves your issue 100% (requiring no more) also mark it as a helpful answer :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Brainbox
Efour

i have had to give up playing Blops because of loss and jitter. I was teleporting all over the map, most servers would ban me if an admin was on.

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
Efour

Please use plain text.
Good to Know
chrcoluk

[ Edited ]

you sort of answered your own question, you know 15-30 isnt acceptable to you.

whats acceptable to VM I think any jitter is, they tend to only look at speeds when diagnosing problems.

I always strive for extremely low jitter sub 2ms, realistically I found anything below 10ms not that noticeable on my daily activities, but 5-10ms is noticeable when testing (looking for jitter). 10-20ms is noticeable by accident on my daily activities but not serious.  Higher then that tho and its enough to really frustrate me, generally also if I see jitter higher then that speeds are usually also affected.

The only way round it is maybe artifically increasing your latency as 15-30ms jitter not so bad on 100ms latency as it is on 10ms latency.

Now I have always assumed high utilisation is the prime cause of jitter on VMs network but I am currently scratching my head as craig got his utilisation figures and i got mine, officially my utilisation is 10% lower than his but I have significantly higher jitter.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
stukidd

Guys, thanks for all your posts!!!

Babypanda,

I did what you suggested and ping'd the bbc (i did it 3 times).

Stats for: 212.58.241.131

packets sent 250, received 250 Lost = 0 on all 3 pings.

Round trip time in ms  Min = 11ms, Max = 116ms, Ave 24ms

Round trip time in ms  Min = 11ms, Max = 96ms, Ave 26ms

Round trip time in ms  Min = 11ms, Max = 115ms, Ave 23ms

I play COD via the xbox which is hard wired to the Superhub. I have set up port forwarding and listed the primary and secondary DNS servers. I have also installed the game on the hard drive.  With each progressive release of COD over the years, the lag has got progressively worse.  In order to improve it i subscribed to the 50 mb service as i was told it was on a different network to my old 20 mb service - There has been minimal improvement. I live in London (Battersea), and I know my area has high utilisation rates so there are periods of the day when it is really bad, and others when it improves, but it doesn't improve that much - i guess over the years more and more people are using Virgin?

I did read the other day that Virgin have been misallocating / incorrectly assigning COD B'ops traffic which they said they have fixed. Anyone know anything about this?

Any ideas?  Is it worth approaching Virgin with this or will they just laugh?

Regards,

Stukidd

Please use plain text.
Human Answer Bank
pippincp

Jitter seems to be inherent on cable connections. makes me wonder about their advertising as the best option for gaming. It obviously isn't.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Please note: I have no connection with Virgin Media. All posts are my own opinion only.
Please use plain text.
Boffin
Babypanda

[ Edited ]

I think COD and WOW was mixed up with p2p traffic, but that is likely fixed.

The only thing I can suggest is to set up a ping monitor to track when you experience the congestion.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Jitter is the variance of the min and max ping.
I believe that VM suffer from it due to their network management issues, but I know of many VM users who don't have issues, and therefore this can only be down to the local UBR being overused or overloaded.

e.g.
My connection
77.101.80.217_day2.png

My friends connection
94.168.5.14_day4.png

As you can see above, my friends connection is fine with max pings constantly under 60ms
He lives 5 minutes from mine but on a different network segment.

------------------------------------------
If a post is helpful offer Kudos, if it answers or solves your issue 100% (requiring no more) also mark it as a helpful answer :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Human Answer Bank
pippincp

[ Edited ]

We can't see from the above as you have posted images whicn need to be cleared by a mod in Canada.

Load them to a site like photobucket and reload them to here as from another site and all will be well.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Please note: I have no connection with Virgin Media. All posts are my own opinion only.
Please use plain text.
Human Answer Bank
James_G

Hi stukidd,

I am sorry to hear you are having this issue with your connection.

Could you please let me know if you are still having this issue?

Regards,

James Gilbert

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.

Please can we ask you not to PM the Forum team unless requested to do so by us
Please use plain text.