Ask a question
One to Watch
medeano68

Watching films on Iplayer keeps freezing

[ Edited ]

Hi could anyone help please I have the 30meg broadband but when i try to watch anything on bbc iplayer, or 4on demand etc the screen is constantly freezing and buffering, for a 30 meg speed this is not very good, I had a problem with my super hub and last week was told a new one was been sent out, 2 days they said would have to sign for it, ye right over a week later still nothing.

Tonight bbc iplayer froze yet again and said run the broadband diagnosis and if i keep getting this problem to speak with my providor, this isn't just bbc iplayer its any of the tv services online.

But this buffering problem has always been here since i joined virgin in May, I pay alot for all the virgin services and if they arn't going to fix this then i shall end my contract and go else were as they arn't providing the service i signed up for.

Before i do anything drastic and move over sky can anyone advise on here please, i am not a teq kind of person so please simple stuff please :smileyhappy: 

But if virgin can't even send out a new hub when they promise what hope have I getting this fixed.......

Not sure if any of this info help but logged into the hub and this is what even log says!

Event Log

TimePriorityDescription
 Wed Nov 02 15:08:19 2011   Critical (3)  DHCP FAILED - Requested Info not supported.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
 Wed Nov 02 07:48:28 2011   Critical (3)  No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0; 
 Tue Nov 01 20:21:22 2011   Critical (3)  Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
 Sun Oct 30 08:04:59 2011   Critical (3)  Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
 Wed Oct 26 08:11:11 2011   Critical (3)  DCC aborted unable to communicate on new upstream channel;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
 Time Not Established  Critical (3)  DHCP FAILED - Requested Info not supported.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0; 
 Time Not Established  Critical (3)  No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0; 
 Time Not Established  Critical (3)  DHCP FAILED - Requested Info not supported.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0; 
 Time Not Established  Critical (3) 

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0; 

Ive not a clue what any of this means :smileyhappy: but just incase it helps anyone to advise.

Thanks for any help

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
medeano68

Re: Watching films on Iplayer keeps freezing

Just run a speed test -

Last Result:
Download Speed: 20195 kbps (2524.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 3143 kbps (392.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 15 ms
03 November 2011 22:16:19

Def not getting 30 meg

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
medeano68

Finaly spoke with someone really nice and helpful this morning who done a diagnostic test and his words were "O" iam getting really weird readings,,,,,,,,,,,so yep finally there is a fault and engineering coming out on Monday, didn't relise either as we only moved here may that the big black cable running above ground is the Virgin cable so fingers crossed they will also sink this for us, although the guy said this wouldn't be the problem causing my weird readings....

I'll ley you know what happens in case it helps someone else...

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
medeano68

[ Edited ]

Hi all

Well the enginner came today and fitted a Forward Path Attenuator to lower the downstream power, thought at first this seamed to help, but after tonight trying to watch i player again its still buffering, Phil on this forum has been trying to help but said it sounds if i have a connection problem so need the enginner to sort problem out.

The enginner said my pc is more than good enough to run 30meg broadband, i was thinking of getting a new  network card in stead of using the onboard one, but from what the guys on this forum have said it wouldn't be of any benefit.

Phil did say to put speed info on here so have pasted below, My computer is 2 years old windows Vista (Yuk) 3 gig memory, PCI-e NIVADA Geforce 8400 GS, I don't have any problems watching dvd.

Ive not long moved to this address and was with O2 previous and getting around 5meg and didn't have much problems with buffering just now and again, but since moving here and having virgin 30meg it constantly buffers, it is slightly better after today but still buffering.

Is there anything else I can try untill an enginner reply to my post?

Thanks to all

Connection

Startup Procedure
ProcedureStatusComment
Acquire Downstream Channel458250000 HzLocked
Connectivity StateOKOperational
Boot StateOKOperational
Configuration FileOK 
SecurityEnabledBPI+

Downstream Channels
Lock StatusModulationChannel IDMax Raw Bit RateFrequencyPowerSNRDocsis/EuroDocsis locked
LockedQAM642841712000 Kbits/sec458250000 Hz0.0 dBmV34.5 dBHybrid
LockedQAM642541712000 Kbits/sec434250000 Hz0.2 dBmV34.3 dBHybrid
LockedQAM642641712000 Kbits/sec442250000 Hz0.2 dBmV34.4 dBHybrid
LockedQAM642741712000 Kbits/sec450250000 Hz0.2 dBmV34.4 dBHybrid
UnlockedUnknown00 Ksym/sec0 Hz0.0 dBmV0.0 dBUnknown

Upstream Channels
Lock StatusModulationChannel IDMax Raw Bit RateFrequencyPower
LockedATDMA220480 Kbits/sec45800000 Hz37.8 dBmV
UnlockedUnknown00 Ksym/sec0 Hz0.0 dBmV

Primary Downstream Service Flow
Downstream(0)
SFID7790
Max Traffic Rate33330000 bps
Max Traffic Burst3044 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate0 bps

Primary Upstream Service Flow
Upstream(0)
SFID7789
Max Traffic Rate3333000 bps
Max Traffic Burst8160 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst8160 bytes
Scheduling TypeBest Effort

Current System Time:Mon Nov 07 22:28:46 2011
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
dan83590

So does anyone actually read and reply to these threads?

We are having the same problem here too.  Come on Virgin!

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
h106frp

Same problem with IPlayer and smart TV (real pain because you have to reload from the start with Iplayer 'app' and forward fast is slow. Tried all the tweaks and settings, just seems to lose the connection randomly. Got a good signal to the SmartHub, download speed and ping seem reasonable.

Reason for getting 30mb was streaming media so a little miffed at the service. This seems to be a common problem so I guess we are waiting for a firmware update. 

Please use plain text.
Dr. Yes
John_O

Hi medeano68,

I have checked your connection and local network and am unable to find an issue. You are not affected by any network issues and your local power levels are all spot on, your hub is not reporting any power adjustments or timeouts. Can you clarify whether you are describing a wired or wireless connection? Can I ask you to test your speed again by downloading several files simultaneously from http://www.gamershell.com for a couple of minutes (the section video game demos has a lot of large files you can try). Once done can you also test your speed at http://www.speedtest.net using the Paris or London server. Please ensure that while performing these tests you are attached directly to the Hub using an Ethernet cable rather than a wireless connection. Once completed can you also perform a traceroute to the BBC website (type tracert bbc.co.uk from the Command Prompt) and also post the results seen after typing netstat -b into your Command Prompt window.

Regards,

John O

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.
Dr. Yes
John_O

Hi dan83590 and h106frp,

In order for us to keep a track of each individual issue can I ask you to start your own thread and include as much relevant information as possible. If your query cannot be answered by other community members we will reply to it as soon as possible.

Regards,

John O

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
stnicholas

You can start by dumping VirginMedia as your ISP.  That will be your best strategy as they are utter SH1TE!!

Please use plain text.