Searching for something?
Superuser
canveyboy
Helpful Answer

Virgin Media Broadband Speed Test

[ Edited ]

I stumbled upon a speed tester, It downloads a file directly from Virgins own servers, so should give very accurate results.

so it begs the question, why do virgin say use speedtest.net and why dont their own techs use this tester ?

I know this test site was not made by Virgin, but as it downloads a file directly from their own servers why not endorse it ?

Follow the link

Virgin Media speed test

Note: take a look at the service status tab also, it gives easier to study info than virgins own status page does.

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
pauleagles

Re: Virgin Media Broadband Speed Test

It doesn't seem overly accurate to me, it tells me that my connection is running at about 37Mbps but if I use this speed test it gives this result.

When my 50Mbit was installed and again yesterday when I had my modem replaced the engineers didn't use speedtest.net, they used one that required them to login but I can't remember the address (it was an IP address, not a DNS name) for it.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
canveyboy

[ Edited ]

Now I would have thought the speed tester I found would be more accurate as the test file comes directly from virgins own servers, just like when you have to download two games files from the blueyonder game files list for an accurate reading.

Just because one site shows a faster speed than another doesnt truely reflect the average performance as there are many factors to consider, what server is giving you the file, how many users testing at any particular time, how many hops the file must travel before it reaches you.

surely a file comming directly from the servers that supply us is more accurate ? as it eliminates outside network variables.

Im interested on what you base your theory that broadband max is better ?

The speed test the tech ran was most likely the speedtester used during the 50Mb trials that required a login name (elvis was the login name) and a password (cant remember the password).

Virgin at the moment only endorse speedtest.net (and point users to that speedtester) as they worked with them setting up the 50Mb speed tester.

Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
bigpond

Canveyboy,

Can you tell me what the upload speed should be for the various services. I am aware that the upload should be about 1/10 of the possible download speed. Do you have any information on the basic standards of what we can expect or what are the optimum achievable speeds. In large measure, the upload speed is more important for "normal" internet use, excluding large file downloads.

On my 20Mb service I am getting about 0.7Mb upload speeds to my 13-19Mb download speeds.

Strange, but when my 50Mb service was first installed, I was getting upwards of 1.6Mb upload to my 30-50 Mb download speeds. After about 10 day though it all went pearshape, and that is now history.

Regards,

Michael

Please use plain text.
Superuser
canveyboy

I know the upload on 50Mb is 1.6 on average ive tipped 1.7 and I get that speed at all times.

if memory serves me correctly i got 0.6Mb upload on the 20mb service, the upload to download ratio has always been reported as poor for an ISP.

I have never had problems with up speeds anyways, but those speeds are so low really there not going to put a strain on the network.

Oh, the one thing i did notice when i was on the 20Mb service that if i was uploading game files to one of my servers, it drasticly slowed down my download speeds and even loading web pages took forever. (it made no diffrence if i configured a slow upload speed)

From listening to techs talking they aim to get within a 10% tolerance (for download speed anyways), they aim for 45mb on a 50Mb service)) 

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
pauleagles

canveyboy wrote:

Now I would have thought the speed tester I found would be more accurate as the test file comes directly from virgins own servers, just like when you have to download two games files from the blueyonder game files list for an accurate reading.

Just because one site shows a faster speed than another doesnt truely reflect the average performance as there are many factors to consider, what server is giving you the file, how many users testing at any particular time, how many hops the file must travel before it reaches you.

surely a file comming directly from the servers that supply us is more accurate ? as it eliminates outside network variables.

Im interested on what you base your theory that broadband max is better ?

The speed test the tech ran was most likely the speedtester used during the 50Mb trials that required a login name (elvis was the login name) and a password (cant remember the password).

Virgin at the moment only endorse speedtest.net (and point users to that speedtester) as they worked with them setting up the 50Mb speed tester.

Just because the download file comes from a server on Virgin's network doesn't actually mean all that much.  The server in question could be on a slower segment or the network for example or the routing between that server and your PC may not be ideal.
I'm well aware that a single test doesn't give a true comparison between speed test sites but based on the results I've posted and my 9 years of working in enterprise grade WAN and ISP systems (designing, implementing and fault finding) I've used enough speed test sites to know to ignore speedtest.net.  I'm nto a fan of any speed test sites to be honest, none of them are perfect and I'd always suggest a download from a known fast server to get a true figure.  In my case I use newsgroups at home so I'm able to look back in the history and at the WAN interface of my router (I'm logging data using SNMP then reporting using PRTG) and find the true speed of my connection.
Yes, a file coming from your ISP should eliminate cross network peering and so on but networks have 'internal' routing and 'internal' problems which can impact your results in exactly the same way as if you're downloading from a network in another ISP.  It is entirely possible that a download from an external server would be faster than a download from a Virgin server.
If the speedtest that the engineer (I wouldn't call any of them a tech) ran was speedtest.net then it wasn't branded as such.  Sure, it's possible that they use an unbranded version but if Virgin endorse speedtest.net then I find it strange that the engineers don't use the vanilla site.
Please use plain text.
Superuser
canveyboy

[ Edited ]

"Yes, a file coming from your ISP should eliminate cross network peering and so on but networks have 'internal' routing and 'internal' problems which can impact your results in exactly the same way as if you're downloading from a network in another ISP.  It is entirely possible that a download from an external server would be faster than a download from a Virgin server."

but you telling me that running tests from outside of virgins own network is more reliable, that just isnt logical.

The whole point of download testing from virgin or to be more presice from blueyonder game files download 2 battlefield 1942 files at both over 100Mb each at the same time gives the end user an idea of how virgin server to end users pc is doing.

virgin are only responsible for their own network and how fast it can get the packets/files whatever to the end user, anything ouside of this is inconsiquential, cos when someone phones in with speed issues they will run through the download game file test for precisly the reason ive just mentioned, the only reason virgin kind of endorse speedtest is because they worked with them directly setting up a speedtester, i personally dont think much of many of the speed testers out there cos there are too many influences that can affect the outcome.

But if the big game file downloads show low speeds for the end user then Virgin have to set to work pinpointing where in their network the problem is.

Virgin will not listen to people that say im getting speeds from this site or that site, they will listen once someone has download from within their network thats fact.

mabye with your 9 years experience you could come round and pinpoint where the fault lies within the virgin network to my pc, cos theyve got a huge amount of people working on every section of it, (and have been for weeks) im sure they would love you to go in and tell them whats what.

This is the only test virgin will accept as a speed test  (download the two files and add the speeds together)

http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/battlefield1942/demo/win32/

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
pauleagles

No, I'm not saying that a download form a server outside Virgin is more reliable, I'm saying that a download irrespective of where it is from can have issues.  Just because the download is from within the Virgin network that in no way guarantees that it'll be at a speed that gives a fair indication of your broadband.

That site you mention only uses an 11.8Mb file to test which is way, way too small in my opinion.  With a smile that small any pre-caching that the browser does would massively affect the result.  I'd be looking for a minimum of a 100mb file (such as the one you linked to on Gamefiles) and I'd repeat that test multiple times.

Also that site grabs the test file from http://homepage.ntlworld.com which is for customer webspace.  Who is to say that customer webspace would be on a network segment that can cope with a 50Mbit download?  From working with ISP's in the past they often don't put their free customer webspace (by free I mean included with the package price) onto the fastest network segments with the best routing and higher spec servers.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
canveyboy

[ Edited ]

Run the test if your 50Mb service is what it should be (unlike mine)

you will get results in the region of 5.6MB - 6.2MB (ish) thats what im saying about the only speeds virgin will accept when things go wrong.

maybe i should have started this topic off with forget all speed tests except blueyonder game files, virgin will confirm to you that the files i linked are the only test they will officially accept when troubleshooting.

yes I do aggree that multiple tests should be run and an average worked out.

but running multiple tests on those files takes longer than peeps want.

Maybe virgin should make their own official speedtester, that would void everyones oppinions on what external tester is most reliable because its only the virgin servers speeds that count. (for virgin users anyways)

im on the "samknows" testing group which is officially teamed up with virgin servers to monitor, latencies, speeds, packet loss and so on over a 1 year period, these are the results that virgin are very interested in as it gives them a wealth of info including my usage and surfing habbits.

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
PeterMcKain

There are several official Virgin Media resources around Speed Testing, including:

http://www.virginmedia.com/speedtesters

http://www.virginmedia.com/testmyspeed 

http://www.virginmedia.com/speedbooster

To pick up on some points:

If the test file is approx 12MByte it is unsuitable for anything above 6Mbps.

Being on a "homepage" server is not that relevant. A true speed test server must do a whole lot of things, not least of which is limit the number of active sessions, which the "homepage" servers do not do.

The reality is that the organisations who provide "Speed Test Servers" do not guarantee their results themselves, so how can Virgin Media guarantee them?

Peter

Please use plain text.