Ask a question
One to Watch
EnglishRob

Super Hub port forwarding problems

Hi folks,

I'm wondering if anyone might be able to help...

I had 50Mbit broadband installed last Friday.  The engineer replaced my old standard modem with a new Virgin Super Hub, and for some reason left the original Netgear router too.

Now I host my own e-mail server at home which I connect to remotely (from my laptop and phone) using IMAPS (on port 993) and Secure SMTP (on port 465) and a webmail service via HTTPS (port 443).

Before the change of modem everything was working fine, I could send and recieve mail and connect to the webmail.

However since the change I've had no end of problems.

I've configured the port forwarding in the router to point to the internal IP address of my router.  HTTPS is working okay, as is sending mail out via Secure SMTP but for some reason IMAPS is being blocked.

I've tried changing the IMAPS port number on the server to 996 and it still won't work.  I've also tried setting up the DMZ with the server IP address.

The only way I can seem to get it working at the moment is to configure the server to use port 443 for IMAPS rather than HTTPS which isn't ideal.

I just wondered if anyone had any ideas on how I could get around this?

From what I've read about this Super Hub I'm getting the feeling that it's not a great modem/router and that I should phone Virgin and ask for a separate modem, but I wasn't sure if this was still possible?

Ta,

Rob

Please use plain text.
Expert Opinionator
Paul_M

Re: Super Hub port forwarding problems

Hi EnglishRob,

you should be able to do this with the Port Triggering feature.  Port Triggering is an advanced feature you can use to enable dynamic port forwarding for certain applications. The Super Hub monitors outgoing traffic on the ports specified by the Trigger Range. When it detects activity on these ports, it remembers the IP address of the computer that sent the data and routes incoming traffic on ports in the Target Range to that IP address on the LAN.

For each port trigger you would like to enable:

1. Enter the Start and End Port for the Trigger Range. These are the ports that will be monitored to trigger the incoming port forwarding rule.
  2. Enter the Start and End Port for the Target Range. These are the incoming ports that will be opened when triggered.
  3. Select the protocol for the ports, either TCP, UDP or Both.
  4. Check the Enable box to activate the port trigger.

Please let us know how you get on with this.

Thanks

Paul
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
stevemagners

Hi Virgin Team and Forum members

This is my first post and hope you can advise.

I have recently upgraded my Virgin Media package which has replaced my old Netgear router with the Super Hub. I have my CCTV cameras set up on my home network which I am able to ascess via my laptops and Iphone.

After spending an age to set up the new Super Hub to enable me to do the same I am having access problems to the router when trying to go through the 3G network on my phone {which used to go straight through with the old netgear router.} It seems that a strong internet connection is needed to get through the port which given that I need to see the cameras when I am away from my office is giving me a problem. THe cameras can be accessed from my Iphone using other wireless networks but only gets in around 2% of the time when attempting over the mobile network.

Please advise.

Thank you

Please use plain text.
The Sorter
kwikbreaks

[ Edited ]

To access the cameras through a 3G phone you need to have set up a DYNDNS (or similar) account or access it via the public IP (which may change). The hub itself doesn't support any DynDNS  like service but most IP cameras can.

To work properly you need to fix the camera internal IP, set it up to keep DynDNS (or alternative) updated with your public IP, forward the chosen camera port to its internal IP on the hub. If you haven't done that it won't work. If you have and can't access it over a 3G service suspect the service and try it via something else such as a friends PC.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
stevemagners

Hi kwikbreaks thanks for coming back to me.

Have forwarded port on router and can view the cameras from my PC using wifi at my offices so I know the cameras are talking to my router and the router is allowing external access to the DVR via the Internet. I can also access my cameras from my I Phone at any location so long as I have Wifi. I take your point about the 3G being the issue however I did not have any problems accessing my cameras when my old netgear router was being used. I could even access the cameras on my phone when 3G was unavailable and I only had one bar of signal on my phone. It seems as though the new Superhub has some kind of barrier preventing access from my device if it does not have a strong signal which is really bemusing.

Has anyone else had similar access issues?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
The Sorter
kwikbreaks

[ Edited ]

All I can say is that I've got a couple of remotely accessible cameras. I have no problem accessing them using a netbook through Vodafone 3G although my phone will only support one of them (a Foscam) as refresing jpegs but that is down to the phone browser not working with the stream it produces (IE doesn't either). The other is a CCTV camera which I run through a USB capture dongle and Webcam XP - that works well on my phone.

There is absolutely no return path from the phone which could convey the 3G signal strength to the superhub. If it works with a good signal and doesn't with a poor one then that is a problem with the signal and not the hub.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
richtam

Hi there I have being a having lots of trouble setting up my super hub for remote viewing for my cctv can you please please help me?
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
richtam

I have been trying to set up my super hub for remote viewing of cctv and I can't do it after days of trying so PLEASE PLEASE can someone help me
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
dancaw

You not the only one struggling to set their CCTV system up. 

I Bought my self an 8 Channel DVR with 4 Cameras from Maplins. 

I've Set the Lan Ip Address as 192.168.0.2 within the DVR 

Ive also gave it an HTTP Port 8080

And The Mobile Port as 100

I've Then Gone into my superhub and I've added the IP of 192.168.0.2 to the reserved section, account the DVR MAC Address. 

I After this i was able to Access my CCTV Webpage Via 192.168.0.2 and Login, But I Cant a Message saying Can't find Device. 

I then also enabled port fordwarding on 192.168.0.2:8080 and now i can access the page via my WAN: 82.47.75.165:8080  but it cant detect my DVR Are Camera Feed. 

My Conclusion is that the Superhub is Blocking the Feed or Traffic? am i correct? 

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
matt_game

Dancaw did anyone touch base with you about this at all? I've bought a 4 camera set-up, installed it all and now am trying to work out how to see the camera views from my iPhone when away from home. I've gone round the houses trying to understand 'IP addresses', 'Ports' and 'Subnets' but had no luck at all..

I'm sure if anyone knows their stuff they could make this all work no probs in <10 mins but to a none-techi it's all a completely foreign language.. :-(

All I know is my iPhone shows the camera vews when I'm on my home wifi but I get '(80.#.###.###:88) The IP address is not accessible!' when I try away from my home wifi..

Have you got yours working?

Please use plain text.