Ask a question
Clever-clogs
NightOwl

Super Hub Configuration - Connection/Speed Issues

Got up this morning - fired up my laptop (mains powered as always) - only to find that my 50Mb connection, which has always been as it should be - was now operating at a ridiculous 2Mb speed and my upload speed couldn't even reach 1Mb...
Not only that, but my connection kept randomly dropping - web pages wouldn't load, etc etc...
Brilliant, I thought - really need this first thing...

Had no idea what was happening - so unplugged my Super Hub and left it for 5 mins. Twice. Still no change...
Really couldn't deal with the thought of ringing 151 and all that entails...

Then I remembered reading something on here once about changing the channel - so I logged in to the configuration pages and did just that...
An improvement, but not a massive one - speeds now around 8Mb...

I then saw a setting that had the option to change it - 802.11 Mode - and it was set to 'Up To 145Mbps' with the option to change it to 'Up To 54Mbps or 300Mbps'...
Absolutely no idea what this meant or what it related to - but I figured I couldn't be in a worse position that I was - so proceeded to change it to 'Up To 300Mbps'...

My speed and performance ever since has been perfect - running smoothly as before...

What actually is this 802.11 Mode - and how/why does it make such a difference to things...?
Also - one other thing - the 802 11N Band underneath the 802.11 Mode that is currently set to 2.4Ghz, but has the option to change it to 5Ghz...
What is this - and is it on the right setting...?

Please use plain text.
The Sorter
kwikbreaks

Re: Super Hub Configuration - Connection/Speed Issues

802.11G is 54Mbps

802.11N can operate single channel - 145Mbps or dual channel 300Mbps. There is also a choice of frequency - 2.4GHz which is the same as G uses or at 5GHz which is N only and not all adapters can support.

5GHz is likely to suffer from less interference from other users but inherantly has less range and penetration of walls and the like. It may have longer rangin practice because the chances are your neighbours won't be using it.

Unless you know that you can run at 5GHz the chances are that you can't. Some people have had problems with the SuperHub operating in 300Mbps mode.

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
NightOwl

Re: Super Hub Configuration - Connection/Speed Issues

[ Edited ]

Hi kwikbreaks - you've shed some light on this for me and made things much clearer. Thank you!

Please use plain text.