Searching for something?
Clever-clogs
mdudzin

Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out

Hi there

Does anyone found a solution for the event log "Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out"?

I have to reboot the modem and clear the DHCP leases to fix the poor signal of the wireless connections.

Is this the best that can be done?

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
mdudzin

Re: Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out

Here is the information on my currnt connection status

Startup Procedure
ProcedureStatusComment
Acquire Downstream Channel315000000 HzLocked
Connectivity StateOKOperational
Boot StateOKOperational
Configuration FileOK 
SecurityEnabledBPI+

Downstream Channels
Lock StatusModulationChannel IDMax Raw Bit RateFrequencyPowerSNRDocsis/EuroDocsis locked
LockedQAM25620855616000 Kbits/sec315000000 Hz5.3 dBmV39.7 dBHybrid
LockedQAM25620555616000 Kbits/sec291000000 Hz6.4 dBmV39.5 dBHybrid
LockedQAM25620655616000 Kbits/sec299000000 Hz6.0 dBmV39.9 dBHybrid
LockedQAM25620755616000 Kbits/sec307000000 Hz5.9 dBmV39.8 dBHybrid
UnlockedUnknown00 Ksym/sec0 Hz0.0 dBmV0.0 dBUnknown

Upstream Channels
Lock StatusModulationChannel IDMax Raw Bit RateFrequencyPower
LockedATDMA120480 Kbits/sec35800000 Hz39.5 dBmV
UnlockedUnknown00 Ksym/sec0 Hz0.0 dBmV

Primary Downstream Service Flow
Downstream(0)
SFID3160
Max Traffic Rate33330000 bps
Max Traffic Burst3044 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate0 bps

Primary Upstream Service Flow
Upstream(0)
SFID3159
Max Traffic Rate3333000 bps
Max Traffic Burst8160 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst8160 bytes
Scheduling TypeBest Effort

Current System Time:Mon Nov 28 11:32:03 2011 
Please use plain text.
Superuser
ravenstar68

Hi Unicast ranging response is not connected to Wifi signal. I have a separate modem and router and still get this warning on my modems log page.

I don't Work for Virgin, All ideas used at your own risk
To say thanks click on the Kudos star.
If a post has solved your problem, please mark as helpful answer.
Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
mdudzin

thanks for that information, are you aware of what can it be the issue then? 

Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
PatrickF

[ Edited ]

Hi mdudzin,

A T3 error is an indication of a potential return path or upstream issue. A colelction of these, large in number, can point to either a local fault or a problem further up the line on the network. As a result, I've checked the network and can see no issues currently and local levels are fine. However, the T3 count is rising. Can you confirm if you are actually having performance problems with the connection?

Kind Regards,

Patrick

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
Stickyjam

I Am also getting these errors and my connection is dire at the moment, my thread also recieved no response can i be checked similarly and my thread looked at please. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
PatrickF

Hi Stickyjam,

The UBR which handles your connection is currently suffering from very high utilisation, particularly at peak times. This has been raised to our network teams under reference F001765648. Work to resolve this issue is currently scheduled to take place on January 11th (although this may be subject to change).

We're very sorry for the inconvenience this has caused.

Regards,

Patrick

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
mdudzin

[ Edited ]

Hi Sorry for the delay answering back. I do not have serious problems although I have to reset the Super Hub for time to time to not lose connection with my PS3.

I also received :

• DHCP Failed Request Info not supported
  • No Ranging Response received
  • SYNC Timing Synchronisation - Failed to acquire FEC Framing.

all of them in the 04-DEC

Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
Mark_Wilco

Hi mdudzin

If you are not experiemcing any connection issues you should ignore what the logs say. There will always be error messages in there regardless of your connection state.

Mark_Wilco
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.
Got a problem? Check for faults online with our new service status and fault checker

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
mdudzin

[ Edited ]

So what I have found do far is that the modems is trying to update the firmware althought I have the latest version.

Could somebody at VM have a look and tell me what to do, please?

Basically a cable modem gets online this way:

The modem scans for a digital QAM channel (which can be digital TV or modem downstream channels) and "listens" for upstream channel descriptor (UCD) information on it (which is only found on modem downstream channels). If it doesn't get the UCD after a few seconds of receiving data on that channel, a T1 timeout occurs and the modem looks for another digital QAM channel.

Once the modem finds the correct downstream channel and receives the upstream channel descriptor, it then waits for its initial opportunity to "talk" to the CMTS. If it doesn't get that chance within 12 seconds, a T2 timeout occurs. 

So during initial modem connections, T1 and T2 timeouts are perfectly normal to see in the modem logs.

After locating a downstream data carrier channel, the modem gets its chance to "talk" to the CMTS and sends data to negotiate the proper upstream signal levels and timing. This negotiation process takes several data exchanges between the cable modem and the CMTS. If at any point the modem doesn't receive a response from the CMTS within about 200 milliseconds, a T3 timeout occurs. Several T3s have to occur before a modem resets.

The modem then goes through the DHCP, TFTP, TOD processes and once all are completed the modem is online.

Once the modem is online, the CMTS sends "Periodic Ranging" or keep-alive requests to it every 30 seconds. If the modem doesn't receive one, a T4 timeout occurs. Once 16 of the T4 timeouts have to occurred, a modem resets.

If there is a downstream communication problem, the cable modem might not receive these "keep-alive requests". If the upstream utilization is too high, or too many modems are connected to the same upstream port, it is possible that some modems will not get the required bandwidth or transmit opportunities to respond to the keep-alive requests. Either of these issues can result in T3 or T4 timeouts occurring.

Please use plain text.