Ask a question
Bright Spark
RayvenUK

Router resetting back to factory defaults

I am now on my second superhub router and about 3-4 times per day the router resets itself. All the lights on the router go out and it goes through its power up sequence before allowing me to reconnect.  Frequently when it reboots itself it's name has gone back to the usual VM name with a load of numbers after it, and the password has reset to the default "changeme".

Both routers showed the same fault and as i work from home and need to keep connected to the office this is making it more and more difficult to do so.

I have contacted technical support who talked me through the same procedure each time, reset the router, check the settings, etc.  I have also left the admin password as "changeme" this time and the router name as it's default name as technical support told me that I must not change any of the settings or passwords and altering these may be causing the router to fail.

Can someone please help me by telling me how to stop the router from constantly resetting?  I would like to go back to the sepeare router and modem I had before, but i have been told that this is not possible, and neither is it possible for me to replace the equipment myself.

I am losing money at the moment due to the constant problems, and would prefer not to have to seek out another ISP.

Please help.

Please use plain text.
Expert Opinionator
John_Hag

Re: Router resetting back to factory defaults

Hi RayvenUK,

There is a known problem with Superhubs resetting which will be addressed with the imminent release of the R30 firmware. Whilst we cannot support you using your own router with a Superhub prior to R30 it is perfectly possible for you to do so. There are multiple posts in the Wireless section of the Forums detailing the options and explaining how to do this.

Regards,
John Haggerty
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords. Got a problem? Check for faults online with our new service status and fault checker

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
RayvenUK

Many thanks for the response.

It is nice to actually hear that someone is admitting that there is a known issue.

I have phoned the technical support department on this matter no less than 7 times now and all I have ever been told is that there are no known issues and the resons I have been given so far have been:

I am surfing to an unreliable website

I should be using network cables and not the wireless options

I have changed the administrator password and therefore have invalidated the settings

I am connecting to the internet using a Blackberry Playbook which is an unauthorised device.

There is nothing wrong with our equipment (and the phone put down on me)

As a result we have now had three superhub routers sent out to us and we were on the verge of packing the whole thing in and changing ISPs once i had discovered that I could neither replace the equipment with my own (as I was willing to buy the equipment myself if necessary) and that NetGear themselves could also not help as you customise the routers once they have supplied them to you.

I shall look forward to the R30 release - any idea when this might be just so that we know?

And I seriously suggest that something is done about the support team on the other end of the phone, who have been so far unhelpful, occassionally rude, and have supplied incorrect information at times.

Thanks

Colin

Please use plain text.
Human Answer Bank
James_G

Hi RayvenUK,

The release date for the R30 firmware will announced here.

I am sorry to hear that you have been treated rudely on when you have called our Support team.

If you send me a PM with the agents details I will pass the details on to the agents manger so the appropriate training and feedback is given to ensure this does not reoccur.

Regards,

James Gilbert

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.

Please can we ask you not to PM the Forum team unless requested to do so by us
Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
Paradise1203

James G

I too have had similar problems both with the routers and the helpdesk.  I also thought that R28 was meant to have solved this preoblem.

Please use plain text.
Usually Always Right
Dave_O

[ Edited ]

Hi Paradise1203,

the R28 firmware was never widely released, as some further bugs were discovered. If this issue is still ongoing for you following the release of the R30 firmware on 13/09/2011, please post your own thread with as many details on the issue as possible, and we'll look into this for you.

Thanks.

David Owen

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
RayvenUK

Well, got the notification that R30 had finally be released.

Reset the router on Wednesday to get the update, and the superhub is still resetting itself at random.  The superhub is in the lounge and even when the computers are not on we can sit and watch the lights all turn off and then go through the power up routine, exactly the same as before.

So R30 hasn't cured a damned thing.

My only hope now is that what I have heard about R30 is true and that I can turn the superhub back into just being a modem and I can put my own wireless router on it.

I have 2 accounts with Virginmedia on the 50Mb link, one at my house and one at my partner's flat.  The one at the house still has the old modem and a standalone netgear router and it has never given me any problems.  I really wish that Virgin would ditch this superhub and go back to the technology that works.  I am dreading anything happening to my old router and modem and it being replaced with a superhub.

It is making online gaming virtually impossible to play due to the constant resetting.

Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
RayvenUK

Well, quick update, since being updated with R30, the router 4 days ago, the route has reset itself 9 times that I know of, I sat and watched it reset 4 times on Saturday alone, once whilst playing World of Warcraft, once whilst streaming a movie to the TV, once whilst loading my browser to the google search homepage, and once with all the computers turned off and watching TV.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
JoeReacher

I can say without any doubt this has NOT been addressed with R30. My Superhub resets EVERY DAY.

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
Paradise1203

I can confirm that R30 has not resolved my issue with the hub resetting itself continually.

Please resolve immediately

Please use plain text.