Ask a question
Bright Spark
pete87

Problems with Static Ip Address With Superhub

[ Edited ]

Got my super hub today, and i am having problems with pc’s having static ip address.

If I set the computer to have a static ip address it will connect to the network but it won't connect to the internet,

But if i set the computers to let the router to get the ip address for me it will work fine, can anyone help me with this problem?

As i have been in the advance options change the options putting the back changing new settings etc... But I just can't get it to work with a static ip.

Here is the setup I use for static ip

Ip Address          - 192.168.0.X

Subnetmask        - 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway - 192.168.0.1

Preffered DNS      - 192.168.0.1

this is the same as settings when the DHCP Assignes the IP

I have run the error test on vista to try and fix the problem and it comes back with the following error message - "There may be a problem with you domain name server (DNS) configuation" and it tell me to conntact the ISP or network Admin.

But it not worth it as there is proberly some daft little setting on the router that is stopping it.

P.S I use the static IPs as I run server and have an xbox360 so need to manual port forward the necessary ports

Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
Ben1642

Re: Problems with Static Ip Address With Superhub

[ Edited ]

It looks like the DNS address is wrong.  Your machine is looking to the router for DNS lookups, not a DNS server.  Try changing the primary DNS to 194.168.4.100 for VM's primary DNS or 8.8.8.8 for Google's public DNS, or use both as a primary and secondary DNS servers

As for static addressing.  You should be fine once the DNS is resolved properly.  Or, you could try configuring your devices for dynamic IP addressing and then use the reservations table under LAN IP and DHCP reservations to 'fix them with an address' so that when their lease is renewed they keep the IP address.  You can then still use port forwarding in the manner you do now, but you'd need to point the services to the client's new addresses.

CD

Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
Ben1642

P.S. What kind of server are you running?  A Windows Server 200x environment?

Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
pete87

Thanks for the reply Ben1642  I seemed to have found the problem now it was the dns, for anyone else thats having the same problem use the following it work for me.

IP Adress             -192.168.0.X (X = ip for computer)

Subnetmask        - 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway - 192.168.0.1

Preffered DNS      - 192.168.0.1

Alternate DNS      - 194.168.4.100 (VM DNS)

am using XP as a server but going to enter all the Ip address again to get it working now.

never delt with a netgear router before always had belkin never gone wrong with them, guess it just takes a little gettin use to new stuff lol.

Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
pete87

I have one more problem, I have 2 laptops running on vista, I have one laptop running no trouble with the setting that I posted before, but the other laptop does't want to connect to I have tryed auto IP config but it comes up with that it "Cannot Connect with Primary DNS Server (194.168.4.100) So I tryed to input this manually with 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100 Ive tried to use Googles Public DNS Still no look.

Ive tried the repair that vista give you just come back with same repairs

Ive tried deleting and saved networks and rejoining my own network still no look.

Has anyone get any other ideas ??

Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
Ben1642

I've found your problem; you're running Vista, lol!

I take it the XP machine is being used as a file server for shared directories/files/resources and not as, say a web server, dhcp, dns, etc?

Also, I assume that it's the not so SuperHub you're using with your tinterweb connection?

Is this issue with Vista new since the DNS change or rather an old problem?

Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
pete87

lol, am running vista on another laptop and thats running no trouble.

The XP computer running a webserver (just a basic website)

Yes it the superhub (Supercrap)

And yes its a new problems since the superhub has gone on.

I have also just restored the laptop back to default and still has the same problem, when the wireless is trying to connect to the hub the hub flash red and blue to say the laptop is trying to connect.

Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
pete87

just the wireless card round in the laptops and the laptop i was having trouble with work with the other wireless card. So it looks like the wirless card is not supported with the superhub :smileysad: The wireless card that in the laptop the one I am having trouble with is a - Atheros AR5007EG. So I have to set my belkin router so it using the same IP base as the superhub and use that just for one laptop for now intill I get a new wireless adaptor. but the internet seems a bit slow now :smileysad: lol
Please use plain text.
Human Answer Bank
pippincp

Most likely you only need to update the drivers.

Download drivers from here:

http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-drivers.php

Extract files.

Update driver again from device manager,
this time select specify manually and point
it to the folder you extracted the driver to.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Please note: I have no connection with Virgin Media. All posts are my own opinion only.
Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
pete87

thanks for the reply just found the following link when i was doing more research on the problem

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-100Mb-broadband/Superhub-Frequently-Asked-Questions/m-p/24....

will give this ago 2moz now and let you know of the out come

Please use plain text.