Emerging Talent
Burhan92

Moving my router

Could someone tell me what wire I would need if i wanted to move my wireless router. I would prefer to do it myself just want to know what the wire I need it called. The one that carries the internet connection to my router. Or if virgin will be willing to send out a technitian for free then that would be even better.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

Re: Moving my router

well few questions

1) when was the service made active

2) why do you want to move the hub 

3) how far away do you need to move eg metres/feet etc..

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
Brainbox
pondlife

If I understand clearly you want to move the router further away from the VM Modem, If thats correct then Cat 5 ethernet cable should be fine. You should be aware that the longer the distance between the modem and the router, the greater the speed drop will be, (It shouldn't be huge if you are moving a couple of metres, but may be significant if moving tens of metres)

This will of course knock on to the speeds obtainable via the ports on your router or wireless networks

If I misunderstood and you want to connect the hub to the VM box, then it's coax cable you need.. There is a discussion further up the list about using coax, but basically buy good quality sat grade and have the people you buy it from put a male connector on each end.

Hope that helps

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

(It shouldn't be huge if you are moving a couple of metres, but may be significant if moving tens of metres)

this is untrue 

CAT 5 Cable is capable of transmitting the signal over longer distances, but it has been found that signal loss of measurable value begins to be encountered above the 100 meter (328 feet) mark. i used to run network cable in previous job.this covers CAT 5E/CAT6.. you would only get into issues of alien crosstalk with using many network cables tied together. 

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
Burhan92

The installation was made in April last year and wanted to move it becuase virgin internet is running slow nearly all the time now and thought if the wireless connection was closer then the internet speed would be faster. (virgin doesn't know whats causing the speed loss themselves, rubbish customer service). About feet im guessing around 20-25 perhaps. Need to move it to my attic.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

are you taking about running a cable from the hub to your pc/latop or moving the hub itself

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
garethi

Just type virgin cable into ebay, you want the extension leads with F connectors
Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
Burhan92

[ Edited ]

thanks and wanted to move the hub. You sure these cables will work? Have a reccomended seller?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

you could just pop in to maplins 

ebay link - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10M-DIGITAL-EXTENSION-CABLE-NTL-VIRGIN-MEDIA-BROADBAND-/230336740787?pt=UK...  £8+ you need to keep an eye on your downstream SNR power level and upstream power levels before and after installing extra cable.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
gmharper

I also have this query.

I have very poor wireless access in my room, despite the VM package I am on. I am in a small flat but it seems the coverage does not extend to my room. I read that getting VM to move it will cost a lot of money - could someone recommend a good router I could get, and how I connect this to my SH?

Thanks very much

Please use plain text.