Searching for something?
Making Waves
LLcoolG

Internet connection problems, possible DNS problem? Help

Hey, my Internet has been playing up for the past 2 weeks where it would randomly lose Internet connection for what could be a matter of minutes or even hours at a time. Virgin service status test reckons my super hub is working fine but I doubt that, there seems to be certain way to get it working again either, some times turning it on & off or unplugging it at the mains makes it work and other times it does not. It sounds quiet random because it is, my network drops from local & Internet to just local on a whim and any basic connection tests I run via windows or windows messenger point to a DNS problem where it cannot resolve or verify a DNS, ive tired clicking every diagnose button in my network properties but nothing fixes it, till it wants to come back on it seems. Any ideas? Help is appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Boffin
Adam_J

Re: Internet connection problems, possible DNS problem? Help

Hi LLcoolG,

I'm sorry to hear your having trouble. If we could see some connection details inside the hub that may help us understand things.

Visit http://192.168.0.1 username admin password changeme if you then click on advanced settings, and choose connection and copy and paste all details.

Can I also ask if you are hardwired or wireless ?

Kind Regards,

Adam Jones
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
zzzztj

Hi There

This is a problem I've been having for a long long time. I've been blaming my Linksys router all this time, but did suspect the cable because of the extensive checks I carried out - I am an advanced user (ex network engineer).

Today we got our upgrade! yay 60mb broadband.  It lasted 4 hours...

internet checks first said the gateway was unavailable... so Ok, reboot the shiney new router.  Now, the DNS server is unavailable. Ok, reboot the PC - Of course ... it's going to be the PC's problem... but hang on.. I have 8 devices on this network + occasional visiting machines.... and it happens on all of them... Including my blackberry - which I was hoping to be able to watch iplayer on (finally).... 

When I tested that it lasted about 5 minutes - but that 5 minutes was much better quality than before.

This is really really frustrating and looking through all the helps it's not an uncommon problem and has been going on for years, not just for me.

I suppose we're not going to get to the bottom of this easily, it's not one of those 'just do that' things. 

If anyone has any idea's or suggestions - or there is a group trying to escalate this to the techies please let me know, happy to add my name to the list.

Cheers 

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
zzzztj

Log Files... always useful :smileyhappy:

Wed May 02 20:06:58 2012   Critical (3)  DHCP FAILED - Requested Info not supported.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
 Wed May 02 20:06:42 2012   Critical (3)  No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0; 
 Wed May 02 20:06:33 2012   Critical (3)  Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
 Wed May 02 12:17:42 2012   Critical (3)  Resetting the cable modem due to docsDevResetNow 
 Time Not Established  Critical (3)  DHCP FAILED - Requested Info not supported.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0; 
 Time Not Established  Critical (3)  No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0; 
 Time Not Established  Critical (3)  DHCP FAILED - Requested Info not supported.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0; 
 Time Not Established  Critical (3)  SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0; 
Please use plain text.