Ask a question
Crafty
rafster

I have Superhub problems...

Yes, another one...

We got 50mbit installed in November, though we did not move into our new place until the weekend. It seemed to work fine, but I only used 1 device with it.

Now that I have all my devices attached (NAS, Sonos, iPad, PC, laptops, PS3, AV Amp etc etc) it seems to drop out randomnly, first time it done it within 2 hours, second time 12 hours. Each time it does it, the modem lights flash and cannoy connect to the modem through ethernet or WLAN.

I've read around and seen that disabling Firewall / IP Flood protection helps. The SNR is good (42db if I recall correctly) and the speed tests are always good. Astraweb is also nice and fast.

Is this likely the cause of my problem? Or do I need to get a new superhub? Coming from a Draytek 2820n on 24mbit ADSL2, which I rebooted once to upgrade firmware in over a year or so, this is hugely disappointing.

Or are there any other proper modems out there?

Please use plain text.
Expert Opinionator
Champs

Re: I have Superhub problems...

I have read people turning off the firewall to solve the problem your describing. However I have the superhub with firewall on with more devices connected than you have mentioned and never had a drop out.

Crafty
rafster

Thanks, sadly it is still doing it :smileysad:

What should I do? When it disconnects, the router is completely unresponsive and has to be rebooted. It basically drops internet connection, and you cannot connect to the WLAN or ethernet.

So it won't be the line right if it is not responding at all to network devices

Please use plain text.
Superuser
Sephiroth

You can attach your Draytek router to the hub and bypass the hub's router functions.  As you may know, VM are providing a firmware update to allow you to turn the router function off.  Heaven knows why those fools who decide these things didn't release the hub with this important disabling feature in it.

In the meantime, you could do the following (adapted from a post by DJ-Shadow): 

• Plug your cable router’s WAN port into any of the LAN ports on the Hub.
  • Plug your PC into any Hub LAN port and access the management page. 192.168.0.1
  • On the LAN IP page examine the DHCP lease info; you should see your PC and the second router. Note the MAC address of the router and add it to the DHCP reservation section and give the second router an IP address of say 192.168.0.10. (Use ipconfig/all in a cmd window to find the MAC address of your PC if your not sure which is which.)
  • Now go to the DMZ host page on the Hub and enter the same IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.10). This means that the Hub will pass all traffic to the second router without any checks or filters.
  • Turn off the second router and back on again, plug your PC into the second router, login and set the router’s login page to "Does your Internet connection require a login" to NO and then you should see the WAN or internet as 192.168.0.10.
  • You’re ready

• Don't forget to disable wireless on the Hub and use the wireless on the second router. It is also best to turn the firewall off on the Hub.
Seph - (My advice is at your risk)

Please use plain text.
Crafty
rafster

Thanks but want a working superhub :smileywink:

This is what happens in the event log..

Time Priority Description
 Mon Jan 10 23:25:49 2011    Critical (3)   No UCDs Received - Timeout;;CM-MAC=macaddress1;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0; 
 Mon Jan 10 23:25:32 2011    Critical (3)   SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing;CM-MAC=macaddress1;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0; 
 Mon Jan 10 23:25:24 2011    Critical (3)   Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=macaddress1;CMTS-MAC=macaddress2;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
 Mon Jan 10 23:25:07 2011    Critical (3)   DHCP FAILED - Requested Info not supported.;CM-MAC=macaddress1;CMTS-MAC=macaddress2;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
 Mon Jan 10 23:24:49 2011    Critical (3)   No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=macaddress1;CMTS-MAC=macaddress2;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0; 
 Mon Jan 10 23:23:59 2011    Critical (3)   Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=macaddress1;CMTS-MAC=macaddress2;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 

And, the line stats....

Downstream Channels
Lock StatusModulationChannel ID Max Raw Bit Rate FrequencyPowerSNRDocsis/EuroDocsis locked
LockedQAM2568155616000 Kbits/sec306750000 Hz8.2 dBmV43.0 dBHybrid
LockedQAM2568055616000 Kbits/sec298750000 Hz8.8 dBmV42.9 dBHybrid
LockedQAM2568255616000 Kbits/sec314750000 Hz7.6 dBmV42.0 dBHybrid
UnlockedUnknown00 Ksym/sec0 Hz0.0 dBmV0.0 dBUnknown

Upstream Channels
Lock StatusModulationChannel IDMax Raw Bit RateFrequencyPower
LockedATDMA420480 Kbits/sec35800000 Hz44.7 dBmV
UnlockedUnknown00 Ksym/sec0 Hz0.0 dBmV

Anything look suspect at all?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Superuser
Sephiroth

Your problem as I see it is that downstream power is too high and needs to be brought down below 6 dBmv, preferably to 0 dBmv. 

The router question is one of taste and functionality which appeared to need addressing from the thread context.

Seph - (My advice is at your risk)

Please use plain text.
Crafty
rafster

Thanks. Yes I presumed it was the router at fault, I was puzzled why it freezes completely (hence assuming it was router related) rahter than just dropping and router still works.

What's the best way of getting resolved, waiting for a tech to PM me?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Human Answer Bank
pippincp

They won't PM you unless you've posted from elsewhere on another connection. Just hang on here 2-3 days and they'll get to you.

Or ring 0800 052 0431 and hope you get UK support (mornings seem best).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Please note: I have no connection with Virgin Media. All posts are my own opinion only.
Please use plain text.
Brainbox
xXJordanBXx44

Hi I am having the same problems with random disconnects with the superhub..

Please use plain text.
Human Answer Bank
pippincp

xXJordanBXx44 wrote:

Hi I am having the same problems with random disconnects with the superhub..

Don't hijack this thread as all you are doing is delaying a response from support for the OP. Start your own thread.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Please note: I have no connection with Virgin Media. All posts are my own opinion only.
Please use plain text.