Emerging Talent
Ragetrain

Huge connection jitter and Packet loss.

[ Edited ]

We recently set up 30mb broadband in a student house. We figured that having 4 people in the house and a fair amount of devices, 30mb's would be a much better choice. However the speed is hugely inconsistent.

The connection jitter is upwards of 80-100ms at 'peak times' (4pm-11pm) which is causes a packet loss of about 2-4%. Now this isn't so bad for your random webpage surfing but for Internet gaming and streaming it's unbearable! There is absolutely no point in us having a 30mb connection, all 4 of us will only be hooked up at around peak times as we're students.

Now I have uses multiple packet loss testers, and speed testers because I'm well aware they're on all sorts of different servers in places all over. The packet loss and jitter is consistently too high to be stable on every test.

I have run tests when mine is the only device connected to the network via both wireless AND wired.

For reference my area is BH9 2SD.

Downstream Channels
Lock StatusModulationChannel IDMax Raw Bit RateFrequencyPowerSNRDocsis/EuroDocsis locked
LockedQAM2563055616000 Kbits/sec298750000 Hz4.2 dBmV41.9 dBHybrid
LockedQAM2563155616000 Kbits/sec306750000 Hz3.8 dBmV41.6 dBHybrid
LockedQAM2563255616000 Kbits/sec314750000 Hz3.9 dBmV41.4 dBHybrid
UnlockedUnknown00 Ksym/sec0 Hz0.0 dBmV0.0 dBUnknown

Upstream Channels
Lock StatusModulationChannel IDMax Raw Bit RateFrequencyPower
LockedATDMA220480 Kbits/sec35800000 Hz54.0 dBmV
UnlockedUnknown00 Ksym/sec0 Hz0.0 dBmV

Primary Downstream Service Flow
Downstream(0)
SFID8869
Max Traffic Rate33330000 bps
Max Traffic Burst3044 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate0 bps

Primary Upstream Service Flow
Upstream(0)
SFID8868
Max Traffic Rate3333000 bps
Max Traffic Burst8160 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst8160 bytes
Scheduling TypeBest Effort

Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [212.58.241.131]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    21 ms   258 ms    12 ms  10.56.20.1
  2   176 ms    17 ms    21 ms  sotn-core-1b-ge-400-861.network.virginmedia.net
[80.4.225.177]
  3   173 ms    11 ms     *     glfd-bb-1b-ae3-0.network.virginmedia.net [212.43
.163.153]
  4   104 ms    73 ms    67 ms  glfd-tmr-1-ae5-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.10
5.159.46]
  5    36 ms    12 ms    16 ms  tcl5-ic-1-as0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.
185.78]
  6   119 ms    33 ms    31 ms  212.58.239.249
  7   200 ms    12 ms    12 ms  212.58.238.149
  8   289 ms    34 ms   141 ms  virtual-vip-231.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.241.131]

Please use plain text.
Crafty
Loverclad

Re: Huge connection jitter and Packet loss.

Welcome to VM media ,if you have any chance to get out this is the last chance of yours!

Please use plain text.
Dr. Yes
John_O

[ Edited ]

Hi Ragetrain,

I have checked your local chassis (router) and can see that there are periods of high load which will cause your speed to slow. If this load continues to increase this will be passed to our network teams to look at ways to alleviate some of the load. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may be causing you.

Regards,

John O

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
Ragetrain

[ Edited ]

It's a student area, 2 more groups have just moved in, the load is only going to go up.

I've been unable to do anything more than browse since 12pm today. It's just not something we expect to have to deal with when we're paying for 30mb broadband.We talked to virgin several times to make sure this area was suitable for the package we were going to buy from them. They never said anything about high load.

I realise that peak time slow down is unavoidable, but we can barely do anything but look at static webpages half the day.

The upstream power since my post has manages to reach 58.

We're going to have to tell any students after us not to bother with speedier internet packages.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
Ragetrain

[ Edited ]

The newbury server is almost 50% closer! That's how erratic this is right now.

Please use plain text.
Wizard
JonasTone

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
thecapsaicinkid

Ragetrain wrote:

IWe talked to virgin several times to make sure this area was suitable for the package we were going to buy from them. They never said anything about high load.

They're fully aware of any problems with the network in your area but as you've found out, they won't tell you anything when you're giving them your money. You've been duped into buying a broken product.

First, report them to Offcom.

https://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/switched-without-permission

Secondly, you now have a choice. Upgrades to relieve overutilisation usually take months to resolve. I waited 3 months, numerous engineer visits and got given 5 different estimated fix dates before moving supplier. If you have alternate suppliers in your area, you need to seriously start considering them. A 2mb ADSL connection is considerably better than a heavily oversubscribed 30Mb Virgin one.

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Neil_D

Hi Ragetrain,

The utilisation on the network segment has reached levels that allow us to escalate for priority maintenance. I have passed this to our network teams to resolve, we're sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards,

Neil D
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
randomro8

Hello,

I'm also on a 30meg connection (BH9 1TT area) but have been experiencing the same issues as you (started around the 20th September). After daily calls to the lovely Indian helpline and being constantly fobbed off with "your problem will be resolved in 24/48 hours, definitely !!!" or having some technician connect to my router and change the wireless channel number (I'm using a wired connection), I finally got to speak to someone in the UK !!!!!! When I finally regained consiousness I was told that my area is experiencing "high utilisation" and would be resolved around the 25th November or later !!!!!!

Now, a small bit of history. I joined Virgin back in Febuary this year and from day one I experiend these "high utilisation" problems that were finally resolved towards the end of April this year. From the end of April to September everything has been fine and I havent been able to fault the service, untill now. So I'm now experiencing high utilisation problems again, which means I'm unable to play any online games, stream content, access online bank accounts or browse web pages.

So what to do now ? I've already waited over two months from when I first took out the service to actually get what I was paying Virgin for and they now want me to wait another two months !!! I don't think so. Time to look at other providers again !!! 

It's a real shame that we are all having these issues again and that Virgin didn't put enough infrastructure in when they did the work back in April. I believe there is a saying "You have to spend money to make money" I'm suprised that knowone from Virgin has heard of this !!!

Here is a screen grab of some ping tests taken today. The first run didn't even complete.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
randomro8

Hello,

I'm also experiencing these same problems (BH9 1TT area). I'm going to keep this short because my last very long post failed to upload !!!!

I started having problems around the 20th September and have been on the phone daily to try and get my issues resolved. I've been assured by the India call centre that "my problems would be resolved in 24/48 hours, defiantly !!!" and I've even had someone connect to my router and change the wireless channel (I'm using a wired connection). Finally on Friday I spoke to someone based in the UK. After explaining my problems he informed me that the BH9 area is being affected by "High Utilisation" issues that would be resolved on November 25th or later !!!!

I joined Virgin back in February this year and from day one I had these same "High Utilisation" issues which were resolved at the end of April. Now Virgin are expecting me to put up with their appalling broadband service for another eight weeks !!!!

I'm unable to play online games, stream content, access email or online banking services and can just about load web pages (after several presses of F5).

Guess it may be time to start looking at other providers ? Hasn't anyone from Virgin heard of the following  saying " You have to spend money to make money" ? I guess not :smileysad:

Here are some screen grabs I took today from Pingtest.net. The first run didn't even complete.

Please use plain text.