Ask a question
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
Commissar

How to change my IP address?

So, from what I've heard, Virgin Media residential lines are dynamic IP's, but I can't seem to get a new IP assigned when I turn off my modem for 15 minutes and turn it back on. I've changed the DHCP lease time to 10 minutes and left it off for over 10 minutes, again to no avail.

Tried changing to modem mode and I couldn't get connection on any of my PC's, even when connecting it to a router and then routing a cable to the PC's to check on each. Either way, not an option because I run multiple systems that have to be able to run together, connected to the internet.

So, is it possible? Do I have to call VM? Of course, the day I choose to enquire and they're closed for the weekend!

Please use plain text.
Superuser
ravenstar68

Re: How to change my IP address?

Your WAN IP lease time is not configurable from your end, the configuration on the SH, is for the LAN.

VM's IP's are set via DHCP but have a lease time of about 1 week and very rarely change.

Why do you need to change it?

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
adacom

ip will change when you switch from normal mode to modem mode but will revert back to original if you change back - the ip will change over time but not after switching off for 15 min - dont think ringing will do any good - what you have is what you have

cannot understand why modem mode and a router is not the same as the SH apart from its one more box

for ref - in modem mode connect the router to the lan port next to the coax input - thats the only one that works and then use the router in the normal way - anything connected to it [the router] via cable or wifi should work - the SH is a modem - nothing connected to it will work apart from a router or one pc if  connected  direct

Tony
Please use plain text.
Good to Know
Quadders

[ Edited ]

You coulod be lucky and hit a lease time when ipconfig/release and followed by ipconfig/renew from the cmd prompt on your machine.

This has worked in the past for me but it could just be luck that i hit a lease renewal.

My Kudos button has been cleverly converted in to a self destruct button.
Please use plain text.
Commissar

[ Edited ]

Will I be able to change my IP whenever I want doing it this way? Setting it to modem mode and routing it to a router?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
ravenstar68

Quadders wrote:

You coulod be lucky and hit a lease time when ipconfig/release and followed by ipconfig/renew from the cmd prompt on your machine.

This has worked in the past for me but it could just be luck that i hit a lease renewal.

You must have been very lucky on that score Quadders.

VM are under no obligation to change your IP address, I personally have had mine since I started trialling the SH2 in April, although the fact they are allocated Dynamically means they can change in practice they rarely do,

The OP hasn't explained why he wants to change his IP address.

Ravenstar68

Please use plain text.
Commissar

Why I want to change my IP is irrelevant. I'm merely asking if it's possible after exhausting conventional means.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
ravenstar68

Actually it's not irrelevant, if you are doing it because you are being DDOSed you should report it to VM, if you are doing it because you want to get round some Website block, which in my experience a lot of people wanting to change IP do so for this reason, then I for one would feel no compunction to help, as whoever gets your IP would also get the baggage associated with it.

However to answer your question, the IP is tied to the equipment using the connection so if you connect a new router then yes your IP would change, however that equipment would still be subject to the same lease times and policies as set by VM's DHCP servers.  This means you would still have 7 day leases and the lease would still be a sticky one.

Ravenstar68

Please use plain text.
Commissar

Sorted it.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
rachaelrachael

how did you get aroud this commissar please?

Please use plain text.