Searching for something?
Emerging Talent
Marlock

How do I change the IP address on Superhub?

I have recently switched to the 30Mb service and started using the Superhub. I have always preferred to have a non static IP for privacy reasons and it appears there's no way of changing the WAN IP on this thing. Can someone tell me whether there's  a way of doing so, or am I stuck with this IP? Because if so, I would sooner go back to 20Mb with the knowledge that I can change my IP on the Netgear router by changing it's Mac address.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
Swt4ajp

Re: How do I change the IP address on Superhub?

the only way to change the ip on any of the virgin media network is to leave the superhub off for a couple of days to let the server issue your ip to someone else and thne you get a fresh one

thanks

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
Marlock

Will the promised 'bridge mode' update allow MAC changing to modify the external IP once you can use it as a standalone modem? This is the main thing I miss from the old router, if I wanted my WAN IP to change it took me 1 minute. I'm non to happy being stuck with a supposed 'dynamic' IP that in practise is a static one.

Please use plain text.
Crafty
corbsy

You are NEVER able to change the "external" IP address. This is something which is provided to you by VM. You also won't be able to change the MAC address without the use of cloning

I work for Virgin Media, however all opinions are my own
Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
Marlock

Well, on 20Mb with the Netgear router you indeed could change the external IP by basically putting any valid MAC address into the basic settings. I verified this by checking MyIP sites. For some reason it forced it to change.

Can the old ipconfig/release and sitch NIC card trick still work with the hub, or is the IP assigned in the hub itself with cards just being peripheral now?
Please use plain text.
Crafty
corbsy

You're changing the ip address of the router not the modem. The router is on the private side of your network so any changes made in here will have no bearing on the modem. 

I work for Virgin Media, however all opinions are my own
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
davidjbradshaw

With R30 in modem mode, that trick would likely work. However, given VM are require to keep records for a year on your connection doing this won't buy you very much extra privacy.

Please use plain text.
Fix-a-Lot
legacy1

corbsy wrote:

You are NEVER able to change the "external" IP address. This is something which is provided to you by VM. You also won't be able to change the MAC address without the use of cloning

This is your understanding of hubs when you haven't been spoilt by modems.

Your external IP address can change if you turn the hub off for a week and the hub could have a option to change the device MAC but they chose not too. The modem mode allows for any cloned or otherwise set device MAC (but ideally one you own) connected to change the external IP address.

------------------Die-hard direct connection modem user :smileytongue:
Believing is catch 22 the VMDG280 should never of been made the Super hubs 1 & 2 could have been built better the years go by and we can't see the mistakes that were made to make things right.
The more that use modem mode the more we need IPv6: Pingtest, BQM, Speed Test, Outgoing ports test
Please use plain text.
Good to Know
shanematthews

Marlock wrote:

I have recently switched to the 30Mb service and started using the Superhub. I have always preferred to have a non static IP for privacy reasons and it appears there's no way of changing the WAN IP on this thing. Can someone tell me whether there's  a way of doing so, or am I stuck with this IP? Because if so, I would sooner go back to 20Mb with the knowledge that I can change my IP on the Netgear router by changing it's Mac address.

As stated modem mode will allow this to work again but afaik VM only issue you so many different IP's anyway so its not really worth it, i have no privacy issues relating to my external IP i've always paid for a static IP where sold by the ISP anyway :smileyhappy:

Makes hosting things so much easier

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
Marlock

So, in other words...when r30 is rolled out I can change it again? Can anyone with the beta confirm the option to change MAC exists?

Please use plain text.