Ask a question
Taf
Padawan
Taf

Grabit problems.

My preferred newsgroup program, Grabit, has suddenly gone bonkers. Reinstallation hasn't helped.

Some groups update and show their contents in the "Articles" tab area, but several others show "Loading Group" at about 20% and then lock solid in the "Articles" tab area.

Removing those stuck groups, then reselecting them doesn't help either.

The program itself hasn't updated for ages, and I haven't changed any of its settings.

Have now checked on 3 other PCs which have never had Grabit installed before and the result is the same, so I am now suspecting a VM problem or change causing it.

A few other users have noticed this problem too.

This is what it looks like when it stalls:

grabit.jpg

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
SlyFly

Re: Grabit problems.

I'm getting exactly the same thing. Small groups are fine. Large ones just hang. Only started happening a few days ago...

Please use plain text.
Taf
Padawan
Taf

As with all software, GrabIt has some known problems which haven't been fixed yet.

The 'large group bug'

GrabIt is not able to handle the headers of really large groups at this moment. The maximum amount of headers GrabIt can handle depends on your computer. When GrabIt hits its limit on your system, it will download all the headers, but will not show them. Or it will be stuck processing them for a really long time (hours).
NOTE 1: Since release 1.5.2 there is an option to limit the maximum amount of headers per group.
NOTE 2: Since release 1.6.0 GrabIt features new technology (Usenet Browser) to view the contents of a newsgroup without downloading headers.

I have been using the latest version, 1.7.2 beta 6, for months now with no problem, so I doubt this bug is responsible from Grabit's end.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Pinchibotti

Doesn't seem to be the large group bug. Been there seen that in the past, this is different.

I have cleaned up my Grabit folders. By this I mean in effect unsubscribing from the groups, uninstalling Grabit, reinstalling, resubscribing with the minimum history size (100,000 headers) and the problem is still there.

Moreover, some large groups seem to work OK (for example, I can see a.b. multimedia at the moment), but not a.b.sounds.world-music, which is tiny. Weird.

Finally, I will add that grabbing directly with Grabit stopped working about 2 months ago. All parts were incomplete. However, loading an nzb of the files (retrieved from a site like Binsearch for ex.) sorted the problem every time. Weirder and weirder.

Well guess what, for the past 2 days it has become possible again to grab straight from Grabit. When you can get the group to load of course, which doesn't work half the time any more.

The head scratching carries on....

Please use plain text.
Taf
Padawan
Taf

It started to work bit by bit yesterday evening, and now seems OK (for the groups I look at).

So not a Grabit problem I reckon....

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
morrison1976

Nope, grabit it still very bad. Most of the groups dont even update for me, and when they do, they dont load. Its been like this for about a month now. Im giving up on it :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
gerhard38

Same problems as described. previous.  Tried GRABIT on PC and laptop same results. Some groups work, others fail. Will attempt to attached printscreens. Don't seem to be able to show screens.  The result is the same as Taf

Some groups downloaded others did not.  Clicked on the errors and selected server isp5....(my default server) then downloaded.

Trying to display, some groups displayed, others hung up as seen in the last picture.

Can anybody help???? I am a novice pc user so please no exotic suggestions.  Or another free news reader.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Aroh55

Hello, Had exactly same problem on the 6/3/13 after upgrading to 30Mb and installing grabit on new laptop. Thought it was the upgrade but went back on old laptop and previiously fine groups froze as Taf said at the 20% mark. My solution was to switch rapidly between the frozen group and a working group; suddenly the complete list came up; a bit like banging an old fashioned telly I guess. It's worked a few times for me; let's hope it's not a fluke.

Now if I could get any kind of consistent d/l speed...

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
gerhard38

Thank you Aroh55,

I tried your approach, and got it to work for me.  Sometimes it took several switches but I did get all of my groups.  At the present time, GrabIt is giving me all sorts of problems.  To the best of my knowledge, nothing changed on my side.  I contacted Shemes.com but he seems just as baffeled as I am.  It should be understood that he (Shemes) really tried to help although I am NOT a paying member,  The newes wrinkle is that download works only if I select "use other server" even though it is the same sa my subsribed server.  Oh well, maybe I have to find a different news reader to download audiobooks.  That is all I use it for.

Many thanks, Aroh55

Please use plain text.
j26
The Sorter
j26

For me it only seems to be certain groups and it's hit and miss. I believe VM use giganews as their provider - no reports from anyone over there about it.
Please use plain text.