Ask a question
Emerging Talent
nbrus

Re: Fair Usage Policy

Fair use policy only applies to daytime use of broadband services ... you can download as much as you like outside 9.00am - 9.00pm ...

What is lacking is any form of guidance for managing daytime use of the service ... rather than threaten 50Mb customers with cutting off their broadband it would be far better to simply restrict their bandwidth for a few days ... this way they can still access their email and other critical services.

Interesting that no one from Virgin is willing to comment on this post yet ... I hope at the very least someone from Virgin is reading this.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
nbrus

One final point I'd like to make is that with no clear definition of what constitutes fair usage of bandwidth, Virgin have no basis on which to threaten customers with disconnection.  Without providing customers the information to manage themselves, Virgin leaves customers to 'guess' when their downloading is excessive.  It is beyond me how Virgin expects customers to be able to regulate themselves and prevent future infringment if there is not a usable definition of what constitutes excessive bandwidth usage.

Scheduling all downloads to an overnight slot is not a reasonable solution, as this isn't always possible, though it certainly should be the prefered method whenever it makes sense to do so.

I am all for having a fair use policy and managing bandwidth usage accordingly, but this task is impossible without the information required to do so.

How many 15GB high definition films can a customer download daily before infringing the fair usage policy?  One, two, three, or zero?  Or does it depend on the area and/or network traffic on any particular day?  This is what Virgin has suggested to me, and anyone with an ounce of logical reasoning can surely see the problem here.

I do hope Virgin resolve this quickely with a change to policy and a clear definition of what customer using their 50Mb broadband can expect from this service ... as to the new 100Mb service ... why bother?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
Sephiroth

nbrus wrote:

How many 15GB high definition films can a customer download daily before infringing the fair usage policy?  One, two, three, or zero?  Or does it depend on the area and/or network traffic on any particular day?  This is what Virgin has suggested to me, and anyone with an ounce of logical reasoning can surely see the problem here.

It does vary from area to area and VM know full well what the usage profile is for each area right down to locality.  So they could easily inform users what the limit for their locality should be.

Problem is, it's ammo for the opposition and that strikes me as mattering more to VM than honesty with their customers.

Seph - (My advice is at your risk)

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
nbrus

I'd be quite happy with VM reducing my bandwidth during peak hours once I have exceeded a fixed threshold ... this they can already do, and it is far better to manage users this way than the heavy-handed approach of sending out threats of disconnection to the top 0.1% of heavy users.  It also means that when network traffic is low, then they can just leave customers' bandwidth untouched.

Customers that pay for higher bandwidth can have larger limits set before bandwidth reduction to manage traffic.  I'd be happy with this as I don't need to know about how VM is managing traffic to avoid infringment of the fair usage policy ... and no more threatening letters.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
nbrus

Bump...

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Fireraven

apcyberax wrote:

In Out Total

Feb 2011145.57 GB18.82 GB164.39 GB
Jan 2011302.41 GB46.39 GB348.80 GB
Dec 2010298.75 GB38.18 GB336.93 GB
Nov 2010416.47 GB26.60 GB443.07 GB
Oct 2010303.87 GB30.99 GB334.86 GB

Mine and i've never had a letter?

How did you find out your usage for the months??

Please use plain text.
Gandalf
Ray_M

Hello nbrus,

We are not in a position to comment further on this and would suggest you submit your concerns in writing to:

Head Of Internet Security

Virgin Media

Fountain Court

Fountain Lane

St Mellons

Cardiff

CF3 0FB

Regards,

Ray Miranda

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.

Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
nickstevens

Well I look at it like this.....

I pay for a 30mb BB Connection.......I expect nothing less.

I expect my service to be available 24/7 at that speed as thats what I pay for.

My service is Unlimited (check the definition in the dictionary VM)........it means without limit :smileywink:

------------------------------------

On a positive note.....

I do get 30mb all day every day.

My service rately breaks down, so thats not bad at all.

I have never been bandwidth throttled or warned about my usage.

So all I can say is if your getting warned.........stay off the illegal torrent download sites :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
nbrus

Hi Ray_M

Thanks for the contact details ... I just wanted some confirmation that VM are aware of my concerns and the issues raised.  I have already taken the advice to move larger jobs (when I have any) to overnight schedules, so I don't imagine I'll be getting any more letters (I hope).  Thanks for responding to my post.

Regards

Nicholas

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
thanam

nbrus wrote:

I'd be quite happy with VM reducing my bandwidth during peak hours once I have exceeded a fixed threshold ... this they can already do, and it is far better to manage users this way than the heavy-handed approach of sending out threats of disconnection to the top 0.1% of heavy users.  It also means that when network traffic is low, then they can just leave customers' bandwidth untouched.

Customers that pay for higher bandwidth can have larger limits set before bandwidth reduction to manage traffic.  I'd be happy with this as I don't need to know about how VM is managing traffic to avoid infringment of the fair usage policy ... and no more threatening letters.

Agreed, the whole way they have gone about this is disgusting and shows their thougtless, underhanded and uncaring way of dealing with customers.

Please use plain text.