Ask a question
Making Waves
thodgson

Disable NAT on Superhub

Hi,

I just had 50meg installed with the "Super Hub" box. Trying to disable the NAT on this device and can't seem to find the setting on the box. Any suggestions on how you disable this/turn it into a bog standard modem/bridge?

Cheers

Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
daveyrb

Re: Disable NAT on Superhub

You can't until VM bring out a firmware update slated for sometime in Quarter 2 this year, I wouldn't hold your breath though it was supposed to be January. 

Please use plain text.
Good to Know
chrcoluk

where is this Q2 date from? VM originally promised this firmware as  Iunderstand it back in oct 2010, so 3 months and counting for a simple bridge feature is horrendous.

The features I need are actually on the superhub, but its very buggy, and it stop responding to pings when port forwarding is enabled, so I disabled all the prot forwards and instead used DMZ to my dir615 router, this seems to have solved the ping issue at the moment but is a situation I shouldnt be in.  For others who use Features like WOL, ddns, changing dns servers etc. all cannot be done on the superhub.

Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
daveyrb

Hi daveyrb,

I can confirm that we are looking to implement a bridged mode on all of our hubs. With regards to a release date for this firmware revision we are working towards a year quarter 2 release.

Regards,

John H

Help & Support Forum Team

Please use plain text.
The Sorter
kwikbreaks

Perhaps they'll be including the myriad other missing features making bridge mode redundant :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
DJ-Shadow

Hello

Q2 will be from April untill June.

Mike

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
thodgson

You can't disable it? How useless, guess I'll have to have a chat with customer services then and consider cancelling within the 28 days.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
cameronpaine

Since we are coming to the end of quarter 2 can we have an update on this functionality and the release of the firmware to enable it?

Cameron,

xxx.

Please use plain text.
Gandalf
legacy1

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-30Mb-and-50Mb-broadband/Super-Hub-Firmware-Update-20-06-11...

------------------Die-hard direct connection modem user :smileytongue:
Believing is catch 22 the VMDG280 should never of been made the Super hubs 1 & 2 could have been built better the years go by and we can't see the mistakes that were made to make things right.
The more that use modem mode the more we need IPv6: BQM, Outgoing ports test
Please use plain text.
Brainbox
faceplant

[ Edited ]

if your using your own router/firewall.

set the ip of VMSH to something like 10.0.1.1  (subnet 255.255.255.248).  Leave DHCP on, change starting ip to 2 and end to 5.

attach your router and let it pick up any address in the range 10.0.1.2-5.  Also change your own routers ip to 10.100.1.1 /24 (subnet 255.255.255.0). 

Now check DHCP table on VMSH, and copy the mac address of your router and set the ip that has been picked up by your router as a static reserve. DO NOT set the static ip on your router as their is no routing options on the VMSH.

Once you have set the static reserve on VMSH, goto the DMZ section and set the ip to whatever the router picked up, and unselect respond to ping on WAN.

DONE...dmz lets everything through.  By leaving DHCP on with subnet set to 255.255.255.248 on VMSH still allows you to connect some devices to the VMSH, but because their is no routing options on the VMSH any devices attached to the hub cannot be seen by devices attached to your router.

MODS I suggets making this a sticky, maybe tidy it up a little.

Please use plain text.