Ask a question
Bright Spark
Michael09

DNS Settings on SuperHub

I can't seem to understand why we can't specify these without having a static IP. Surely we should be able to do this with all of our devices through the router rather than on a per device setting....

How do I change the DNS settings on the Virgin Media Super Hub?

This is a basic feature nowadays and is in every Netgear router, why have VM removed this setting?

Please use plain text.
Fix-a-Lot
legacy1

Re: DNS Settings on SuperHub

Michael09 wrote:

I can't seem to understand why we can't specify these without having a static IP.

You can specify DNS IP's without having a static IP in windows by leaving it set to “Obtain an IP address automatically” with “Use the following DNS server addresses” being set.

DHCP other DNS IP's to your network from the hub is on the list of features.

------------------Die-hard direct connection modem user :smileytongue:
Believing is catch 22 the VMDG280 should never of been made the Super hubs 1 & 2 could have been built better the years go by and we can't see the mistakes that were made to make things right.
The more that use modem mode the more we need IPv6: Pingtest, BQM, Speed Test, Outgoing ports test
Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
Michael09

I already knew that - read my post.

"Surely we should be able to do this with all of our devices through the router rather than on a per device setting...."

Your method requires me to do it on every single device I own, not very logical.... That takes time doing it on each device when any router even one that costs a tenner has this feature so you can set it on the router, but VM have removed it with their branded firmware like idiots.

However, if you set it to a static IP you can specify a DNs server.....
Please use plain text.
Fix-a-Lot
legacy1

Michael09 wrote:
I already knew that - read my post.

"Surely we should be able to do this with all of our devices through the router rather than on a per device setting...."

Explain to me what you meant by “I can't seem to understand why we can't specify these without having a static IP.” so what do you mean by without having a static IP? What’s a static IP to you?

Then to continue on with “Surely we should be able to do this with all of our devices through the router rather than on a per device setting....” after saying without having a static IP when you can have a Dynamic IP but use other DNS IP's set in windows.

You are saying you “can't specify these without having a static IP” meaning you was saying you can't specify DNS IP's without having a static IP meaning you must have a static IP because you “can't specify these without having a static IP” to which you can.

I did read your post.:smileytongue:

------------------Die-hard direct connection modem user :smileytongue:
Believing is catch 22 the VMDG280 should never of been made the Super hubs 1 & 2 could have been built better the years go by and we can't see the mistakes that were made to make things right.
The more that use modem mode the more we need IPv6: Pingtest, BQM, Speed Test, Outgoing ports test
Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
Michael09

Yeah like I said... go to setup a static IP in your ShabbyHub. Advanced Settings > Basic Settings > WAN Connection Type > Static.

Then you can specify DNS servers. You SHOULDN'T need to set it on every single device you own... That's stupid. This feature as I said before is on every other router I've used

Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
Michael09

Nevermind got another VMNG300...

Please use plain text.