Searching for something?
vj1
One to Watch
vj1

Can't skype, can't stream - are jitters problems the order of the day for Virgin?

on my old ISP I could hold a wireless skype conversation for 3 hours with no loss of voice. Since switching to Virgin I have not managed to hold one call - even wired! Similarly streaming is impossible. Speedtest show around the 40-50 mark but every voip test comes back with the same info - jitter too high.  Why? IP flood is unchecked and about 4 techs have just scratched their heads and said give it time. It's been a month - endless hours on the phone, repeated visits and each person contradicts the last (supervisor: it must be the laptops  ... what? both of them?  tech guys after remote access: no, defiitely an underlying service issue - we'll send out a senior tech; senior tech: what the last guy did was useless. Who? you mean the the guy who came last week? your supervisor? Why was the old ISP (and old router!), at much slower speed, able to provide what the superhub and 50M seems unable to do? Any suggestions for sorting out this problem much appreciated

Please use plain text.
Crafty
Katar83

Re: Can't skype, can't stream - are jitters problems the order of the day for Virgin?

What system and laptop are You using? I just found out that my Win 7 HP laptop with integrated mic CANT run skype with virginmedia and without jitter but skype runs fine when I connect an use external camera with mic.

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Benjamin_T

Re: Can't skype, can't stream - are jitters problems the order of the day for Virgin?

Hi vj1,

Are you still experiencing this issue?

Everything appears to be fine on the connection at the moment. If this is not the case then we will investigate further.

I work for Virgin Media but my opinions are my Own
Please use plain text.
vj1
One to Watch
vj1

it's a dell with win7 and integrated cam. The picture is ok and the other party can hear me but the sound at this end just keeps cutting in and out. Did  you discover why your laptop couldn't run skype with virgin? All the tests I've run keep saying the jitter is too big.

Please use plain text.
vj1
One to Watch
vj1

Hi Ben

Yes - still can't skype wirlessly. Streaming improved by changing browser (Virgin seems to favour IE - why?)

Any suggestions for solving the jitter problem greatly appreciated as I rely on skype quite heavily.

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Benjamin_T

Hi vj1,

I wouldn't have said that this was down to jitter due to the fact that the video is fine. This would be affected more than sound.

Also, the fact that the other party has no issues would suggest that this is an issue local to you. As suggested by yourself, a browser change has helped which to me indicates a possible performance issue with the laptop.

Internet Explorer tends to use more resources than other browsers. The reason we advise Internet Explorer is that it tends to be easier to diagnose issues. Firefox sometimes has issues with testing speeds for example.

Could you please test this on another PC? This would be the only way to rule out the laptop as an issue.

I work for Virgin Media but my opinions are my Own
Please use plain text.
Wizard
glenn4009

Actually benjamin you are wrong jitter had a direct corrolation on the voice qaulity more so than video because the nature of jitter is the variation of consecutive packets between the users. So if the jitter is high then it will most certainly effect the voice cutting out of your chat partners end. Skype has got a jitter buffer in an attempt at reducing the effects of voice qaulity, but on the same note make sure your CPU usage isnt running above 75% or higher because that will really effect the voice qaulity.

Please use plain text.
vj1
One to Watch
vj1

Hi Ben
problem persists whichever laptop we use. Your technical support team ruled out the laptop issue (see initial post)and said it was an underlying service issue but the senior technician they then sent out was unable to resolve and said to give it a while.... it's been a long while and I sti
ll can't skype as well as the old, slower service. Please advise - channels have been changed several times. Modem has been tested in safe mode. Does anyone have any new suggestions? There seems to be a lot of reports of problems with skype on virgin.
Please use plain text.
vj1
One to Watch
vj1

Hi Glenn

Yes - that seems to be what everything I have read said and also you tend to put up with poor video more readily! I make sure nothing else is running and that no other device is even turned on but still cannot hold a skype conversation on a wireless setting as before switching to virgin
Please use plain text.
Wizard
glenn4009

i know its not what you want to hear mate, but maybe virgin is the wrong network for you, virgin has the highest ping and jitter in the country my friend. Terrible for gaming, voip and sometimes even basic internet use depending how badly overutilised your area is.

Please use plain text.