Ask a question
One to Watch
burnduck
Helpful Answer

Can't login to Steam, VPN not working and more...

My broadband was recently doubled speed, and the same day there seem to be some issues induced to my connection. 

1. Steam won't connect anymore, constantly getting "Could not connect to the Steam network" on 3 different machines with Steam accounts. When connected to 3 Mobile Broadband all connects OK

2. VPN and Proxy won't respond at all. When connected to 3 Mobile Broadband ALL connects OK.

3. Can't log into Google Talk on Android phones. Status bar remains grey. When using phone's 3G connects OK.

4. Can't ping / traceroute. Absolutely no response from server as if all ping packets were dropped by some kind of firewall.

It all started around 20th July when my VM broadband doubled speed in Ealing (W5) area. Personally I work in technology field so I'm pretty sure I've conducted all possible troubleshooting steps, such as restarting everything, checking firewall, changing cable & wifi connection, but all signs point to some kind of routing issues / traffic shaper in place between my VM modem and the internet. 

I've googled a bit but couldn't find anything particularly useful. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
burnduck

Re: Can't login to Steam, VPN not working and more...

So after digging into the situation the fault seems to be with the router firmware. 

The router updated firmware "OTA" by itself 2 days ago, and for some reason it set its own Firewall to Strict filtering. 

I would recommend anyone affected to restore the router to default settings and configure again. 

Also the VPN passthrough settings are a bit buggy, if you don't need firewall but still need VPN passthrough, you will need to turn on Firewall first, enable VPN passthrough, apply settings, then disable firewall. The VPN passthrough setting will then stay. 

Now my internet is back to normal. Wish my experience would help someone else in the same boat. 

Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

thanks for the useful info.
The SH has never been good. modem mode and ditch the router side :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Forum Team
Ralph_R

HI burnduck,

Thanks for the info, the R36 firmware update should by default have set the firewall settings to low, which should have allowed VPN traffic.

Will keep on the lookout for similar examples in case something buggy is going on here.

Ralph
Help & Support Forum Team

Problem Solved?Fault with your service?We did warn you!
Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
gtdp

[ Edited ]

Just signed up to say that this has appeared to fix the problems I've been having with Steam too, in the last couple of hours Steam has completely destroyed itself trying to update and not being able to find files to delete them and lots of other nonsense (see here for details), disabling the modem firewall appears to have fixed these problems for me. Thanks very much for your update, you're a lifesaver... got to say that I'm none too pleased with Virgin Media at the moment, stealth-pushing debilitating updates combined with our on-demand TV service being out of action for five days now is pretty dire!

Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
Ktroopa

Can you please clarify the differences between Firewall low, medium and high settings?

If i set to medium my xbox 360 cant connect to xbox live. But is it safe to leave on low? Can i use high without blocking services

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
burnduck

Same with my roomate's xbox, not sure what low, medium or high means since they're not explained. But I would assume if you have enough computer knowledge it's safe to leave it on low or even off. It's your internet practice that matters. 

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
burnduck

VM customer service is terrible. I called the other day for internet issues, they were not patience at all, and they were so impatient they ended up hanging up on me. Unimpressed at all. 

Please use plain text.