Searching for something?
Making Waves
moggoly

CV6 Speed issues - unusable connection for much of the day

Hi,

Been with VM for a couple of years now on 20Mb, and 'upgraded' to 30Mb when it became available. At first it was fine, although at times a little slow, and then for a good while it was good.

But the last 3 weeks or so, and in particular this last week, my VM connection is almost unusable to me for much of the day. I work from home so having a stable internet connection is important for me. Morning time up until around lunch time is okay. Then in the afternoon it all pretty much goes downhill from there. And from 3-4pm onwards right through until after midnight - doing *anything* is impossible. Web browsing is just about possible, but you can completely forget about trying to download anything. Downloads just hang - even retrying doesn't work.

There's no way I'm hitting traffic management. I'm a software developer and know my way around a network perfectly well enough to know what's happening on my own machines. The slow down has got to be at VM's side of things.

I'm at the end of my tether with this. My missus is not happy with it, she's just got a new MacBook and can't get anything new put on it as she can't download anything. My work is occasionally suffering as I find that I can't connect to any of my works servers when I need to (I know they are working fine - it's my connection that is the problem). We use Skype for all work conversations, and even the simplest of Skype text chats are affected - messages can't get through.

So what are my options? Is there someone thaat I can talk to that can actually help me? Everytime I ring VM I end up being put through to a someone in India reading from a script, and I either never get the answer I want, or get told that there is a fault in my area and get given a number to ring for more info - which ends up putting me through to the same dept again....

Gonna hope that someone from VM here can help, if not then by the end of the week I'll have to accept defeat with VM and move back to an ADSL line, which I really don't want to do.

Thanks,

Mike.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
moggoly

Re: CV6 Speed issues - unusable connection for much of the day

And here's my connection stats from the SuperHub:

Downstream Channels
Lock StatusModulationChannel IDMax Raw Bit RateFrequencyPowerSNRDocsis/EuroDocsis locked
LockedQAM2563555616000 Kbits/sec315000000 Hz20.5 dBmV42.8 dBHybrid
LockedQAM2563355616000 Kbits/sec299000000 Hz20.9 dBmV43.3 dBHybrid
LockedQAM2563455616000 Kbits/sec307000000 Hz20.8 dBmV43.6 dBHybrid
UnlockedUnknown00 Ksym/sec0 Hz0.0 dBmV0.0 dBUnknown

Upstream Channels
Lock StatusModulationChannel IDMax Raw Bit RateFrequencyPower
LockedATDMA320480 Kbits/sec45800000 Hz27.9 dBmV
UnlockedUnknown00 Ksym/sec0 Hz0.0 dBmV

Primary Downstream Service Flow
Downstream(0)
SFID1910
Max Traffic Rate33330000 bps
Max Traffic Burst3044 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate0 bps

Primary Upstream Service Flow
Upstream(0)
SFID1909
Max Traffic Rate3333000 bps
Max Traffic Burst8160 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst8160 bytes
Scheduling TypeBest Effort
Please use plain text.
Expert Opinionator
John_Hag

Hi Mike,

I have sent you a Private Message. We'll be happy to progress things for you once we have received your reply.

Regards,
John Haggerty
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords. Got a problem? Check for faults online with our new service status and fault checker

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
moggoly

Engineer been. Power levels all sorted on both upstream and downstream. Not particularly happy that he reset my Superhub settings without telling me, but I suppose he had to do it.

But now - the original problem exists... Even just general browsing is painfully slow. I get better speeds over GPRS on my phone. At least now the problem can't be blamed on power levels, so there must be something else wrong on the network. Utilisation?

Please please please take more of a dig into this issue.

Please use plain text.
Gandalf
Ray_M

Hi Mike,

We have 2 open faults on our local chassis which will currently be impacting your connection:

- Fault F001603152, linked to high downstream utilisation on your local chassis. Estimated fix date is 5th August.

- Fault F001611952, linked to high upstream utilisation on your local chassis. Estimated fix date same as above.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this may be causing.

Regards,

Ray Miranda

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
moggoly

This might not be true or not, but it's been suggested to me by some of my colleagues (who are all on the 50Mb service), that upgrading to the 50Mb service (I'm on 30Mb) would alleviate some of these utilization issues as the routing is different from that of the <50Mb service.

Is any of this true or will I still be on the receiving end of utilization problems?

The 5th August as a fix date is quite frankly shocking. I've had an unusable connection in the late afternoons / evenings for the past two months, and now I'm going to have to put up with it for another potential month and a bit - assuming that it gets fixed on 5th August.

Is there any sort of compensation in place for this - as there is no way that I have received what I've been paying for.

Please use plain text.
Dr. Yes
John_O

Hi moggoly,

Upgrading to 50Mb would not solve your problem as you would remain on the same UBR (local chassis). The only way to potentially move to a different UBR would be to downgrade to 10Mb (even then this would not be guaranteed). I'm afraid we are unable to arrange compensation via the Forums, please contact our Technical Support team on 151 from a Virgin Media line (0845 454 1111 from any other line), quote the reference numbers provided by Ray and one of our agents will look into this for you.

Regards,

John O

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
moggoly

This is getting beyond a joke now.

This morning I have not had either:

a) a stable connection - from 9am through to 10am this morning my connection was dropping every 30 seconds.

OR

b) a 30Mb-promised speed. I've got some downloads from my onlline backup services that are not getting even as high as 8Kb/s, whereas they normally go at full whack at this time of the day. It's not that service either that is the problem, even typical browsing is going that slow.

This is not what I'm paying for. I appreciate that there may be some additional bandwidth utilization in the area due to the school holidays, but not down to the level where you can't even bring up the Google home page. That's unacceptable in my book.

My fingers are crossed that this fix goes ahead on 5th Aug - if it doesn't improve after then (whether its a case of the fix being done but the situation not improving, or the fix not getting done), then I shall definately be cancelling my 30Mb service and moving back to an ADSL service.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
ziggs

I am in the same postcode as you (CV6) and the fix has been re-scheduled to the 16th August.
Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Chris_K

Hi moggoly

The estimated fix date is still at 5/8/2011. Please accept my apologies for any delay

Regards,

Chris Kean

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.