Ask a question
One to Watch
FatChocobo
Helpful Answer

Being DDoSed, how can I change my IP?

I regularly play with a well-known streamer on Twitch.tv, and for the past 4 days whenever I try to play with him I've been DDoSed.

I've taken steps to secure my Skype from leaking my IP (using an SSH tunnel), however I need to reset my IP for any of this to matter.

I was wondering if any support reps could help me with this?

Thanks,

Daniel.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
horseman

Re: Being DDoSed, how can I change my IP?

FatChocobo wrote:.....

I was wondering if any support reps could help me with this?

Thanks,

Daniel.

They can't directly unfortunately as VM have no jurisdiction off-net and insufficient resource to allocate static IP's (unless you're Business customer).  Your best case scenario's will be:

1. Report > http://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/

2. Enable Modem Mode and force IP change by cloning or changing new WAN mac address from router/end device directly cabled to SHub/CM.

3. Use proxy/anonymous server or VPN as you're doing

4. Contact Admin/Webmaster of hosting site.

5. Any or all of the above.

Apart from 1 above VM can't offer any assistance directly as the responsibility lies off their network.

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
FatChocobo

Thanks for your advice, Tony.

With regards to (1), since I have no idea about the origin of the attack, I don't think I can really fill this form in.

With the exception of (2) (which I'm not really sure how to do), is there no way to change my IP in this case? It seems kinda strange that I'd be stuck with the same IP when it was advertised as being dynamic.

Thanks,

Daniel.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
horseman

FatChocobo wrote:

With the exception of (2) (which I'm not really sure how to do), is there no way to change my IP in this case? It seems kinda strange that I'd be stuck with the same IP when it was advertised as being dynamic.

Without subjecting you to one of my lengthy verbose Faraday Xmas lectures it's still a dynamic (DHCP) allocated IP but what we euphemistically refer to as a "sticky" DHCP address. It's all to do with DHCP/TFTP servers, size of DHCP pool, number of user Mac domains in DHCP scope on uBR/CMTS etc.

The number of ways the IP can change is basically(over simplified):

1. Certain types of re-segmentation that VM perform to balance load on your network.

2. That can include changes of CM/Hub sometimes (even though the CM component has a separate IP private IP allocated)

3. If you change the end device (MAC address) as this is the mechanism by which the DHCP is allocated and MAC/IP tables in CMTS/DHCP server are subsequently addressed to re-present the same IP for that MAC address.

In the case of using SHub in default Router Mode of course there is no mechanism (as VM lock down the firmware/eCos on their Hubs) to access that option on the Netgear Router component.

You would as already stated, need to therefore revert it back to it's Layer2 transparent bridging (Modem Mode) and employ your own separate Router which typically has a feature for cloning/entering a different WAN Mac address on it's output port.

Be warned that some older Apple Routers also didn't have this WAN MAC (cloning) feature either but invariable most if not all recent 3rd party Routers now do.

It's fairly trivial to do this if you have a router (and in some cases even  some NIC cards will have this ability), but assuming you're not just using a single cabled end device then a 3rd party Router is the way to go.

So answer is, apart from above THERE IS No WAY for you (or effectively VM) to change your IP at a given time.

VM do however limit the number of IP/Mac changes you can do in an indeterminate timeout period so it's not a longterm solution if some cretin is stalking you. Depending on how you've configured your Firewalls then the logs should give some indication of DDOS attacks although usually these are done via botnets (hence Distributed Denail Of Service that are arguably innocent victims that have naively allowed their systems to be compromised).  However if you have that evidence then report it  to VM as they will be interested in action any VM user instigated botnets.  

VM won't explicitly change your IP unless they have some source IP to act on any as you state, as changing your IP for reasons already stated means a determined attacker will simply stalk you and re-discover your new IP unless you anonymise your connection.

However it's unlikely an attacker will persist in stalking(or even DDOS'ing) average end user as there's no publicity or ransom leverage to justify the Command&Control effort/risk for DDOS botnet and there may well be other Routing issues,website anomalies or local impairments that you might possibly be mis-interpreting in this case?

hth

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
Please use plain text.
Human Answer Bank
VMCopperUser

[ Edited ]

As Horse said (In a much longer and drawn out way).

DDOS doesn't typically happen against a single user.

DOS however may.  DOS is usually one or very few connections  trying to disrupt your service, If they are not VM customers then I doubt VM will take action if you report it (Unless there has been a shift in the way ISPs work over the past 20 years).

Even If you tunnel out it wouldn't stop the ddos/dos, the tunnel broker would feel the pain (or forward it back over your tunnel). 

Is it possible that some other activity is causing your connection to have faults?

Your not saying if your streaming via Twitch.TV (Sending your stream that is), but if you are then this applies to you.  Running a Twitch stream will use upload bandwith, with only a 3 meg upload on the 60 meg service then you could saturate your uplink and that would cause your download/downlink to suffer really really badly.  Compressing and Sending your screen can also use quite a bit of processing power, so if your computer isn't up to task then you'll see a problem there too.  If you stop sending your stream and everything gets better then you know it is one of those two problems, also the Upstream Traffic Management will get hit fairly quickly and with a 50% or 65% reduction then it will only get worse. 

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.

I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

Read or Not ....
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
FatChocobo

I'm not the one streaming, so that doesn't apply.

Thanks, though,

Please use plain text.
Nex
Freakishly Helpful
Nex

As said above, get your own router. Change the WAN mac whenever you're getting DDoS'd.

That's all you can do I'm afraid.

If you have an old PC lying about and 2 gigabit NIC's, you could turn it into a flavour of Linux firewall, and do it from there (if you don't have a router handy). I can't help you with Linux however, as it is a bit over my head. I believe pfsense is good?

If someone has helped you solve a problem, why not give them a Kudos and select the "Mark as helpful answer" button.
Please use plain text.
Nex
Freakishly Helpful
Nex

[ Edited ]

If you're going down the personal router, I'd recommend an ASUS N-66U or greater. They are fantastic pieces of kit. I have one, so I am a bit biased here, but they are great nonetheless.

If the stock firmware isn't to your liking, you can install tomato, Merlin (I use this), DD-WRT etc.

If you pay for a VPN service, you can configure the vpn on your router so that all traffic will get sent via the vpn and not require it configuring on each PC.

If someone has helped you solve a problem, why not give them a Kudos and select the "Mark as helpful answer" button.
Please use plain text.