Ask a question
Crafty
bernardharte

BBC iPlayer Streaming - Suddenly Unusably Slow

[ Edited ]

I have constent 45-48Gb download speeds when I test at speedtest.net, but recently I have been unable to stream videos from BBC iPlayer (including short low res clips on BBC News) and Apple iTunes.  I have also experienced problems with updates to apps on my iPhone and iPad (on which I am also not able to play videos from other streaming sites such as Vimeo and YouTube).

When testing using the BBC's utlity at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iPlayer/diagnostics/ I get very low figures for at least one of the streaming measurements every time I try (but the download speed is in line with speedtest.net).  This gives a result that is consistently too slow for streaming - so I get stuttering and buffering.

If I use a UK proxy to which I have access these problems go away, and I didn't have any problems until recently which leads me to conclude that the problem lies with Virgin Media.

Have you started - inadvertantly or otherwise - to throttle video streaming?

(I should note that my Grade at pingtest.net is B with 33ms latency and 1ms jitter, but I could not run their packet loss test.)

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
Rooty

Re: BBC iPlayer Streaming - Suddenly Unusably Slow

I've suddenly (last few days) got the same problem. Internet seems fine; iPlayer is useless.
Please use plain text.
Crafty
bernardharte

Of course, I have my gigabits and megabits confused. Even so, after several resets the best that I have been offered is an engineer after Christmas...
Please use plain text.
Crafty
bernardharte

Why is it that this seems to be of NO priority to anyone at Virgin Media?

Moderators, I have tried going via the normal channels but there's no interest in providing a real fix - only the ususal promise of an engineer next week (AFTER CHRISTMAS) when my expectation is that a network problem will then be acknowledged and I'll have the call cancelled.

I can get some kind of working connection using a UK proxy, so I can't see how VM can claim that this problem is at my end.

After years, I am seriously thinking of telling VM where to take its equipment.

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
GMAN73

VM rope people in with promises of high speeds, but in reality the speeds as abysmal.  Streaming content is horrible on VM.

Please use plain text.
Crafty
bernardharte

But it really was not until recently for me.

My point is that they are throttling somewhere and they won't acknowledge it!

Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
torchydt

Add me to this. Speedtest still showing 50 kbps down and 5 up. However pretty much anything with streaming video AND iTunes store is painfully slow regardless of time of day. BBC iPlayer test is interesting. Logged into VM it gives me these:

Download: 49,674

Streaming Test 1: 944

Streaming Test 2: 2,988

Streaming Test 3: 2,547.

Total: 2,159 (3,500 recommended for HD streaming).

So I unplugged VM and connected to my legacy BT Internet, rated 20 but only ever get 10-13. Here's what iPlayer test shows for this:

Download: 12,745

Streaming Test 1: 9,448

Streaming Test 2: 13,008

Streaming Test 3: 7,962

Total: 10,139 (3,500 recommended for HD streaming).

On top of this, an iTunes store movie that had been saying "more than 5 hours" when VM was connected, finished in just a couple of minutes with BT.

This is only a recent phenomenon. Is it deliberate by VM?

Please use plain text.
Crafty
bernardharte

There's mention of similar problems with VM on Apple Discussions also.

Thanks for confirming that it's not just me that's having the problem.  The engineer visit will be the usual combination of unplugging everything, looking for weak/strong signals, inserting a small attenuator, no resolution ... and then VM will quietly give back the bandwidth after Christmas.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
mikewosere

I have the same problem. As I type I am calling the helpdesk to complain - they havent found a fault on the line alledgedly so it points to some new censorware or other tech. If everyone who has this problem calls them they will feel pressure to fix it - otherwise I guess it will be around for a while.

I used to believe the Virgin service was very good but after recent problems this belief is changing fast.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
mikewosere

Update to my last. The engineer advised me to use chome rather than firefox, to update my flash player, even to change the wireless channel my "SuperHub" used (which is silly since my problems apply to both wired and wireless internet). He fiddled with setting a quality of service policy as well. Sadly none of them made any difference. He didnt know of (or want to admit to) any technical change to the service - but something has been altered.

Please use plain text.