Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
jadw59

Re: Speed N1

I have now heard from Ofcom who do not become involved in individual disputes - although they tell me that the relevant code of conduct should enable new customers to escape within 3 months if they find they do not get the required speed.  

However, they do say:

"Although we do not become involved in individual disputes I have logged your experience here. This feeds into the statistics which we collate to monitor trends in consumer concerns. Where we see a rise in similar complaints against the same company we may take further action".

Therefore, it would be worthwhile anyone else who wishes to lodging a complaint with Ofcom.  

Please use plain text.
Crafty
frankmcg

Can you tell me how I do this please?

Only reason I'm on Virgin is that BT decided my exact block wouldn't get a fiber optic cable so couldn't get more than 12mbps on a copper line. However at least I got 12mbps which is better than a theoretical 60mbps any time I'm not at home or at 3am and an actual c 1mbps whenever I might actually want to use it. Forget streaming video, I can't even play a game online without stuttering/disconnections.

I don't even have a virgin phone line so switch back will be easy.

Please use plain text.
jadw59

Re complaint to Ofcom,

google Ofcom,

click on Consumers,

go down right hand column to Advice and Complaints

click on Your fixed line, mobile and internet

click on forms 

I then went to "The way a service was sold" and pressed the Ofcom button

Take it from there

It might be worth getting in touch with PlusNet (although they are a cunningly disguised BT subsidiary) to see if the situation has changed re the speeds.

Please use plain text.
Crafty
frankmcg

Done, thanks.

Copied and pasted my message below in case anyone wants to use:

"Capacity issues affecting whole of N1 postcode making broadband service effectively unusable at peak hours (1-2mbps vs 60mbps package sold). 

Numerous complaints on Virgin Media forums from other dissatisfied customers. Virgin have acknowledged capacity issues but keep moving the date at which problem will be resolved, most recently from March to May. Problem was first highlighted last year. 

Despite this Virgin continue with misleading advertising in the area for their services and encouraging signups. Common sense suggests they should be dealing with existing customers first rather than trying to sign up more people to an oversubscribed service."

Please use plain text.
Crafty
frankmcg

Got a more detailed response from Ofcom today, and hopefully you or others who have complained did too.

Won't copy the full thing here but in summary they said that if "your complaint has been ongoing for over 8 weeks, you may be able to take your complaint to an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme. An ADR scheme is an important piece of consumer protection as they are free and independent for consumers like you. Virgin Media must abide by their decision but if you remain unhappy you are free to consider legal action"

This has easily been going on for 8 weeks now as we know, and even Virgin are admitting it's going to go on for another 2 months now based on their latest invented resolution date. Meanwhile they continue to advertise 100mbps plus speeds being available in the area.

I'm going to write a letter to the ADR scheme people now and see what happens.

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
Christian_T

Hi cj95,

The fault F002065970 is still set for a fix date of 04/04.

Thank you for being patient while this is being worked on.

Kind regards,

Christian Thomas
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
cassioneri

I've also made a complaint.

Please use plain text.
jadw59

Ironically, the service now seems to be working where I live!

Last night and tonight download speeds are around the 20mb mark.  I was able to watch the whole of the House of Cards in HD.  

However, it's too late for me.  I've cut the cable.  

Please use plain text.
Crafty
frankmcg

Worse than ever for me. Barely able to open this reply window - 644ms ping, 0.41Mbps download, at almost 11pm at night. Great so I can use the internet between the hours of what 2am and 6am? 

Please use plain text.
stannoo

Getting slower by the day for me.  0.6 Mb/s tonight, down from the usual 1 Mb/s!  I was told by VM CS on the phone not to expect significant improvement for several months as the utilisation problem will not be resolved until new cable is laid, and they havent even received planning permission for works in my area yet.  Could be next year.

If this isn't the worst service by an IP I'd like to know what is.  Ofcom, Trading Standards, etc should all be onto this - it's mis-selling on a grand scale.  I signed a contract in January for 30 Mb/s when VM knew I wouldn't be receiving anything like that for the foreseeable future. 

Please use plain text.