Ask a question
Making Waves
robinmerritt1

setting up a vpn

i wish to set up my xp pc as a vpn server, how do i do this when it is sitting behind a virgin broadband modem?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I have followed some 'standard set ups that i have sound online and on you tube but i can't get it to work. I came to the conclusion that it must be the broadband modem that must be blocking the connection (this may not be correct of course)

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Robin

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

Re: setting up a vpn

if you take a look at - http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm 

do you just want to remote into your machine since i would suggest using logmein, or give other people access? 

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
robinmerritt1

thanks for the prompt reply paul.....i only wanted the one connection ..for me.......i followed through on the page you suggested, i tried to access my modem using root as username and password..this didn't let me in..any ideas what it may be I've never changed it since it was installed:

this was the suggestion from the page :

If the VPN server is behind a router, Port Mapping will need to be done on the router. Standard port usage is 1723 for PPTP. You might also need to configure your router for PPTP Passthrough. Port usage for IPSec is 500, 50-51. These ports will have to be forwarded to the VPN server's IP

will i have to configure PPTP Passthrough to your knowledge?

What about IPSec (what is it?)...how do i forward these ports to the VPN server's IP?

thanks again
robin

Please use plain text.
Gandalf
legacy1

[ Edited ]

You may need a super hub in modem mode due to any problems caused by NAT if you only have a hub if you have a modem with your own router it should be fine.

With any NAT router you should first try DMZ (you play with port forwarding after it works) and without its firewall (PC firewall is fine as long as its setup right) and make sure PPTP Passthrough and IPSec Passthrough are enabled.

IPSec your unlikely to setup as you have to make self Signed certificate and install the .p12 in the server and client.
http://simpleauthority.com
Also running a IPSec in NAT-T mode needs this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926179

Clients connected to a VPN server for a gateway need to run off NAT from your main connection so if you setup a VPN server behind a router have your VPN IP range within yours routers IP range. For a VPN on your main connection IP (no router) you can NAT them off your main connection by installing MS lookback adapter and ICS your connection to that with the VPN IP range in the lookback adapter local IP range.

------------------Die-hard direct connection modem user :smileytongue:
Believing is catch 22 the VMDG280 should never of been made the Super hubs 1 & 2 could have been built better the years go by and we can't see the mistakes that were made to make things right.
The more that use modem mode the more we need IPv6: BQM, Outgoing ports test
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
robinmerritt1

many thanks for your help and trouble, its much appreciated, sounds a little more complicated than i'd expected...i'm overseas at the moment and sounds as if i need to wait till i get back to persue this..many tahnks for your prompt and helpful replies

Robin

Please use plain text.