Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
mickwill1978

how long does virgin media cap your speeds after exceding the fair usage amount?

how long does virgin media cap your speeds after exceding the fair usage amount?

Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
greyhairbadger

Re: how long does virgin media cap your speeds after exceding the fair usage amount?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Details of Virgin's Traffic Management policy here:

http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy.html

A couple of things to note:

The duration of your traffic management (almost certainly 5 hours, but consult the table in the linked document) begins from the moment you exceed the prescribed value, and continues for the appropriate time, even if this takes you past the management times. For example, if traffic management kicks in at 20:59, it will continue until 01:59.

There is an additional and separate policy for peer to peer traffic (such as Bittorrent downloads) and Newsgroups downloads. In this case, a speed reduction is applied during the peak times, regardless of the amount you have downloaded.

Hope this helps,

Phil. 

Phil.

I don't work for Virgin Media. Any advice I offer is correct to the best of my knowledge, but is taken at your own risk.
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
jammymutt

Re: how long does virgin media cap your speeds after exceding the fair usage amount?

Maybe one day in our glorious country an ISP will truly provide unlimited downloads and not just lie about it.

VM say yes you can have 100mbps connection just dont use it too much .

Please use plain text.
Wizard
ezay

Hi,

The download are unlimited other providers charge if you go over your download limit Virgin just limits the speed for those who download heavily during peak times not to affect other users on the network.

Thanks,

Ezay

All views expressed by me on this forum are my own, and do not in any way reflect the views of Virgin Media.
Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

jammymutt wrote:

Maybe one day in our glorious country an ISP will truly provide unlimited downloads and not just lie about it.

VM say yes you can have 100mbps connection just dont use it too much .

Maybe one day people will not bump posts from 2011. We can only wish

Please use plain text.