Ask a question
Padawan
adamwilko007

how does a new fibre optic line get installed from outside my house into my house?

how is a new fibre optic line installed into house from street?

Options

Hi wondering how a new fibre optic lines would get from the street into my house? Would bit involve ripping up floor boards or any other major work?
Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
LandUzu

Re: how is a new fibre optic line installed into house from street?

That question has many answers but are you talking about receiving fibre optic broadband from Virgin Media?

Best Regards

LandUzu
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi guys, I do NOT work for Virgin Media and as such any advice i post is my opinion. PLEASE CLICK THE ↓ KUDOS STAR IF I HELP :smileyhappy::smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Padawan
adamwilko007

Re: how does a new fibre optic line get installed from outside my house into my house?

Would the drive need to be dug up?
Please use plain text.
Padawan
adamwilko007

Yes I am talking about the fibre optic from virgin? Sorry for posting twice by the way thought the bother sub forum may be more appropriate, but didn't known how to delete this one
Please use plain text.
Superuser
nodrogd

Firstly, the fibre optic line doesn't come to your house. It is fibre to a local street cabinet where a node converts it to RF (radio frequency) & it is delivered the rest of the way on a coaxial cable (similar to that which is used to connect satellite dishes). This is bonded to a telephone cable, & surfaces at a 'tee' point on your boundry. Installers will then bury the cable in trunking across your garden to your outside wall, where a junction box (omni-box) will separate the cables. From there cables are taken around the outside walls to where they have to enter. They will then drill through the wall, & place the telephone socket and/or the coax outlet (for broadband & TV) on the inside wall.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: XL TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), XL Telco, 100Mb BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
LandUzu

Re: how does a new fibre optic line get installed from outside my house into my house?

If you are talking about the installation of VM fibre optic broadband, the fibre actually stops in the street inside a cabinet and then a cable will be fed from the "T" outside your property if you have one. Do you?

From there it is usually ducted under the surface/ground or surface mounted to the entrance point on your property. This depends entirely on the route neccesary and is governed by many factors including but not exhaustive- - type of ground, any obstacles, length of run etc.

Best Regards

LandUzu
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi guys, I do NOT work for Virgin Media and as such any advice i post is my opinion. PLEASE CLICK THE ↓ KUDOS STAR IF I HELP :smileyhappy::smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Superuser
adacom

[ Edited ]

what he said above - better expanation than mine

Tony
Please use plain text.
Padawan
adamwilko007

Thank you very much. I am a little clearer now. So to confirm from outside my drive it would be put under the garden?? Then up the wall where my telephone line is and back in to the house? Little concerned how much digging would have to be done in garden
Please use plain text.
Superuser
nodrogd

[ Edited ]

They should open the ground to about a spades' depth, drop the trunking in & firm it down. The 'stripe' it leaves on the grass usually dissapears in a couple of weeks.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: XL TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), XL Telco, 100Mb BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
Please use plain text.
Padawan
adamwilko007

What about if my definition of a garden was solid concrete? Lol there is just a few plant pots on top. Sorry didn't explain myself very well
Please use plain text.