Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
cedrob

how activate my broadband

I phoned virgin media assistant to activate my broadband yesterday she aswered me :  it is right you need to restart your virgin box and you will have internet but I do not have yet .

But on the website=>  services status => broaband => red

what can I do now ? call again , i'm borry to call always virgin media and wait during two hour an assistant who does not make a good work.

Can I activate my broaband on the website ?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
horseman

Re: how activate my broadband

Presumably english is not your native language? At a (very) wild guess your grammar constructs appear to be of slavic/germanic origin?

Obviously you must have alternative internet access available in order to obtain service status?

You could also reply with your first part of your own post code so someone could check if a local area fault is likely to apply to you?  This info can be found on VirginMedia newsgroups on virginmedia.announce.internet   assuming you can access these from an alternative VM account. Equally if you can access VM newsgroup then appending a query on virginmedia.support.broadband.cable group could be a lot quicker. 

You could also enter 192.168.100.1 in browser (userid:root password:root) to display various config pages of your cable modem including error log and post all that info here.

This may give some indication whether install and basic provisioning was done correctly and whether there are any obvious reasons why you cannot access the activation server webpage. 

While activation varies between the old cable franchises you cannot access a public VM website as such from any other VM account to activate your new account. (If I understood the context of your question correctly?)

Typically (on ex NTL/C&W areas) once your modem MAC address is activated/registered (hopefully by install engineer or via callcentre) then rebooting the box will route you to VM activation server that requires account name-id /pin/password that should have been sent to you by VM letter?  

This should prompt you to setup primary email id/password and on successfull completion/reboot then you should finally have full internet/access.

Sometimes there were DNS problem and you had input a 172.x.x.x ip to access the server.

VM should have finished rolling out a unified provisioning backend by now so these differences between fanchises/legacy systems shouldn't happen.

However you still need to reboot your CM when you change the CPE (typically your PC or Router) that's attached to the CM as your service configuration file will only allow one device to be attached at a time. The CM can only change MAC recorded in provisioning database during a reboot.....

Usually the callcentre/151 are quite good at basic get you "up and running" if provisioning backend database has glitched.  Unfortunately any other problems(typically cause by non-optimal CM install/power levels/snr) is usually out-of-scope for their limited diagnostic mindset and you'll get repetitive - "please reboot cable modem, reboot pc, wait 24 hours, return your pc to your supplier, or ring our £1 per minute PC help line" ad inifinitum.  

However unfortunately until you supply more detail it is unclear what language we should be conversing in let alone what specific technical guidance is relevant or most appropriate?  

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
cedrob

More easily I should call an ingenieer , Is it possible to ask an ingeneer from the website or Have I need to make a call to the virgin services ?

Moreover I would like to make a call to the customer service but even if I bought dial up size M, I can not conect a normal phone on my box , Have I need to an adaptator ?

thank you very  much

Please use plain text.
Superuser
horseman

You posted on the Broadband Cable forum but now it's transpires you are possibly trying to activate your new service on National Broadband (ADSL) ?

In which case you're presumably looking for a microfilter that should have been supplied with your "box"?.

For activation problems see >

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Broadband-down-your-phone-line/Broadband-Activation-Date-Problem...

However you need to describe the "box" with a lot more detail - is it a Netgear wireless router? is it a small black one with Ambit 256 written on it, or a large silver one with Samsung.....?, ......something else?

....while I continue to search for my old uni notes  on "how to develop your ESP in serbo-croat for beginners" ......

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
Please use plain text.