Searching for something?
Forum Team
Rita-B

Re: dropping 40 - 60, sometimes 100% packets on 62.253.174.122

Hi db2212,

Sorry for the late reply, your modem is currently  showing offline. Can you please switch it on so we can investigate this further.

Regards,

Rita B
Help & Support Forum Team

Problem Solved?Fault with your service?We did warn you!
Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
db2212

I'm not able to switch the modem on at the moment, it will be Thursday 27th before I can do this.

Please use plain text.
Forum Team
Kath_F

Hi db2212,

Whenever is convenient for you to turn your modem on that's fine. Leave it on for a full 24 hrs so we can run some tests on it. 

Can you bump this thread once the 24 hours has passed and we can look into everything for you. 

As this is a community based forum and not staff based, can you also allow upto 10 days for a reply.

Thanks, 

Kath
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.
db2212

Hi,

the modem has been on for the last 25hrs

Please use plain text.
Superuser
MUD_Wizard

[ Edited ]

db2212 wrote:

17 days later, the problems persist and there is no response from VM.

There are still customers suffering from the same faults, up to 100% packets dropped from the VM server 62.253.174.122.

There are no visible problems here on your traces. Steve_Brett was correct and I'm sorry to say you don't seem to understand how the internet works. The odd dropped ping packet does not equal data loss.

If you insist that it isn't VM's server that is at fault, can you please explain the ping plots showing 100% packet loss at this server.

Ping Plotter FAQ:

http://www.pingplotter.com/manual/faq.html#Anchor1

See item 2 about a perfectly fine connection reporting 100% packet loss:

http://www.pingplotter.com/gsg/findproblem_intro.html

or a more detailed explanation here:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/781576

Read the comments in the link above about hops with * * *.

On Ping Plotter it's generally a good idea to compare the first hop (if it's your router) and the last hop and ignore everything in-between.

Your game data is unlikely to go the same route both forward and return as your pings anyway, so your trace is comparing apples to oranges.

In order to get any kind of useful diagnostic from your traces you need to be able to run a backtrace on the gameserver back to your IP. Good luck with that.

My PC is sending data, your server isn't sending this data.

If that was true the hops after hop 6 would not respond and the last hop would not be reached. So your assumption is false.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
MUD_Wizard

[ Edited ]

Non-techy version:

Your girlfriend takes a journey in her car to visit a friend. You send a text message every 10 mins to check where they are and each time they respond within 1 or 2 minutes. After an hour you no longer receive replies. Half hour later you are still sending texts wondering what the hell is going on. You wonder if they have crashed. Is the mobile network working? Eventually she responds to your last text message with "we had the music loud and were busy talking so I missed a few". Then every 10 mins from now until she arrives at her friend she responds to your new messages.

Her final message says "we arrived in good time."

You argue with her later because you didn't hear from her for a while, you think there was something wrong with the car during the trip. You think she didn't arrive ok or there's something wrong with her. You think she's an alien pretending to be your girlfriend. She thinks you're crazy and breaks up with you.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
MUD_Wizard

If there is an actual issue, the latency will continue or increase for all future hops.. right to the final hop.

Latency spikes in the middle of a trace route mean absolutely nothing if they do not continue forward to future hops.

Please use plain text.
Community Lead
James_W

Hi db2212,

As has been explicitly stated, the packet loss at the server in question is irrelevant. A thorough check on your modem, which has been online for over a day now, shows me nothing untoward.

The issue appears to be your connection to a particular game server, which is located outside of our network.

Could you provide us with a description of the problem you are having with the game - error messages, symptoms etc. Then we can try to investigate this further.

Regards,

James W
Community Lead - Help & Support Forum Team

Problem Solved?Fault with your service?We did warn you!
Please use plain text.
db2212

MUD_Wizard,

Your comments about me not understanding how the internet works may be correct.

Given that I don't understand, I hope you can understand my frustration at seeing something that seems to point to a problem (shared by another user, suffering identical problems with identical ping plotter results) being rubbished by those that do understand.

Your girlfriend text analogy was most helpful :smileylol:

Please use plain text.
db2212

James_W,

The problem I have is that I randomly lose control of my vehicle. There are no error messages, only symptoms.

The controls are W, A, S and D for tank direction, the mouse controls turret rotation/elevation and firing.

Sometimes, while stationary, I'll press W and nothing happens.

More commonly, I'll be moving in one direction, press another button to change direction and I continue in my original direction.

Or, if stationary, pressing A or S will see my vehicle rotate constantly.

The only way I have found to "un-freeze" the tank is to select different ammunition (using the 1, 2 or 3 buttons, although this doesn't always work) or to fire my gun which, again, doesn't always work.

Please use plain text.