Searching for something?
One to Watch
Cheef

Xbox live DNS problems

Hello.

Ive had to post this here as a last resort. Ive tried everything. About 1 month ago my xbox out of the blue decided that it didnt want to connect to XBL. Whenever I do a config test I get the message 'your dns server can't resolve the names of the xbox live servers or xbox.com'.

Ive tried every step detailed here -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978847

Ive tried both wireless and direct ethernet connection to the hub and still get exactly the same message.

Ive input the DNS manually via ipconfig etc and still nothing.

I rang Virgins fault line & was told 'the DNS is good' ie someone who struggles with English & was reading from a script was telling me that there was not a problem at Virgins end, but instead the issue was with microsoft. I somehow doubt this.

I have heard that a lot of people have been having issues with their hubs (Netgear VMDG280 Just for example - http://tinyurl.com/6akanrq) - im willing to bet a substantial amount of fun tokens that this is the problem. Can someone from the Virgin team please offer some assistance - at the moment im paying for a service which doesnt deliver.

Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Neil_D

Re: Xbox live DNS problems

Hi Cheef,

Would it be possible for you to post the DNS server details that your XBox is picking up from the Hub? This will allow us to diagnose your issue correctly.

Kind Regards,

Neil D
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Cheef

Cheers Neil,

Its getting these both wirelessly & via ethernet;

Hope thats what you meant, let me know if not..

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Cheef

Any news here?

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Cheef

aaaannd bump again, Virgin people??

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
WillyRapier

Also gonna try and bump this issue, as i have exactly the same problem, with precisely the same DNS settings being returned. I dont get what the issue can be, when with the previous modem/router that i had all i had to do was plug them in and everything worked fine. SuperHub? methinks not...

Cheef, you are not alone...not that that will make things any better...

Please use plain text.
Jedi Master
griffin

Just a heads up VM answer post from the oldest post first and work up, so by bumping your posts you are putting yourself at the back of the queue again.

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Neil_D

Hi Cheef,

Sorry we have not responded sooner, the reason for this is the order in which we reply to posts is based on the date/time of the last post within the thread. Each subsequent post within this thread essentially put the thread to the back of the queue. Therefore 'bumping' posts generally has the opposite affect.

The DNS servers your connection is picking up are the correct servers for our network. I cannot see any issues with these servers. I am not familiar with XBox as we do not offer support for the console but are you able to manually set DNS settings? If so then could you try the OpenDNS servers or Google DNS servers to determine if DNS is really the issue.

Also have you tried switching off the Firewall settings in the Hub services page?

Kind Regards,

Neil D

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Cheef

Hi Neil,

Ive tried both those alternate DNS servers & neither work. Im not too happy with the idea of turning

off my firewall just to play xbox either tbh.

There seem to be a lot of people having a similar problem, could this simply not be an issue with the hub?

I spoke to someone 'techy' at PC world last week whilst buying a media streamer & he said that he also had

the same issue with xbox. He said that he called Virgins help line & that they admitted there was a problem

with this & that they sent him a modem to try out with a separate router & this fixed the issue.

I take it sending me a separate modem to try would be out of the question?

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Chris_K

[ Edited ]

Hi Cheef

It would depend on what package you are on whether you can get a modem or not. As for your DNS issues I can see nothing from our point of view that would cause this. Does it work with the firewall features switched off?

Regards,

Chris Kean

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.