Ask a question
Brainbox
Wrinklie1

Why has the doubling upgrade gone so far out in my area?

Ever since Virgin announced these upgrades my service (L 10Mbps - very reliable & at the upper end even during peak) was down for July 2012. As my speed hadn't changed I thought I'd check again.

It's now going to be between December 2012 - May 2013!!

I can understand delays of a couple of months but this is silly - can someone tell me what's happening & why this ridiculous extension?

Life, don't talk to me about life, brain the size of a planet & all they can do is get me to open & close these doors. Marvin the Paranoid Android. With apologies to Douglas Adams (& his memory).
Please use plain text.
The Troubleshooter
Jason_G

Re: Why has the doubling upgrade gone so far out in my area?

Hi Wrinklie1,

I'm going to have to point you towards the small print on the speed doubling site;

Dates are based on our current engineering plans and may be subject to change as we develop a more detailed schedule based on your personal requirements. For example, we may need to undertake further upgrades in your area before the speed increase. Some customers may also require an installation visit to ensure they receive the full benefit of the upgrade. Postcode checker is based on existing customer information, new customers may be upgraded later than the dates displayed.

Kind Regards,

Jason G.
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
meatballs

Small print my **bleep**, 'detailed' plans can come forwards as well as back. Dropping it back 8 months just means the original timeframes were a marketing ploy.

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
Wrinklie1

[ Edited ]

This is more than a little out to say the least. I had rather hoped to see an increase in speed before the summer is out (oops wrong comparison) or before autumn end & winter set in. Why can't suppliers be honest & tell people whats actually gone wrong? We'd be a lot more understanding with some honesty rather than pointing to some words describing how Virgin are covering posteriors.

I know things go wrong especially in a technical discipline, be nice to know why.

Life, don't talk to me about life, brain the size of a planet & all they can do is get me to open & close these doors. Marvin the Paranoid Android. With apologies to Douglas Adams (& his memory).
Please use plain text.
Brainbox
Roland

Same goes for me in the BS34 area. I thought I'd check if there had been a slight delay as July was almost behind us and low and behold I see the message:

Your speed upgrade is going to take a little longer. We estimate your area will be ready between December 2012 and May 2013.

Look guys, this is not a "little delay", this is up to 10 months delay and there's no promise it will not be subject to the infamous small print then!! What compensation are we going to get? Nothing as usual.

Were you even going to write to us and tell us? You were quick enough sending me leaflets when it was first announced.

I hope a Usain has a better Olympics than he's having in his advertising campaign because there's no medals to be dished out to VM as usual
Tivo 500MB
M+ TV
XXL Broadband
Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Benjamin_T

Hi Roland,

As this is a free upgrade you will not be provided with any compensation.

These delays are unavoidable, dates given were accurate at the time of being published and the small print clearly stated what could happen.

While it would be nice to be able to inform the massive amount of customers that we have of every change we make it is not as easy as one may believe.

Yes we sent you a leaflet about it at first but that was sent to every customer which is a lot easier.

I work for Virgin Media but my opinions are my Own
Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
jakjack1

So, why when I phoned retention's trying to get an upgrade, they said to wait another month for the free upgrade as my area was ready, yet the date has been pushed back 8 Months, but and I quote "The engineering work in you're area is now done and the upgrade will be with you shortly" is exactly what I was told on the phone.
Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Benjamin_T

Hi jakjack1,

Your area may well be ready even though the doublespeed.virginmedia.com website states otherwise.

Please remember that the dates we provide aim to be the latest dates. Yes I understand that they can be extended.

An area such as Birmingham for example can be covered by the same postcode but still has many, many different cabinets that you could be connected to. Your cabinet may be ready but the next may not be. The doublespeed checker relies on the beginning of your postcode and not the exact cabinet that you are connected to.

I would like to point out again that this is a free upgrade. I am still unable to find another UK ISP that has offered the same.

I work for Virgin Media but my opinions are my Own
Please use plain text.
Brainbox
Roland

Hi Ben.

My statement about compensation was rhetorical I would have thought that was obvious to anyone that read it.  However, I'm not sure where you get the idea that because it's a 'free' upgrade you are entitled to reduce your commitment to our customer service.

On a weekly basis I get a marketing email from VM that is area specific so it's no good you telling me that you couldn't have contacted those likely to be affected.  This is simply a decision VM have made to try to brush the whole thing under the carpet.  VM need to learn to 'fess up to their mistakes, you may find that your customer base would respect you more for it.  Do you think all of your customers are stupid?  

There are numerous accounts on here of CS and retentions having re-signed people onto new contracts based on the failed promise of Doublespeed.  If people start to complain enmass to the regulator and to trading standards I can assure you that the fact it's a free upgrade will be irrelevant.  Stop quoting the small print, it works both ways.

Kind Regards

Roland

Tivo 500MB
M+ TV
XXL Broadband
Please use plain text.