Ask a question
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
ryszardv57

When will Virgin install cable in our area?

[ Edited ]

Afternoon all

So we have been on Virgin National since we moved into our new place and previously we use to have the cable service. Ah the days of having fibre optic where at least you could view and play online etc better. Now, well the phone line thing isn't all it's cracked up to be to be honest.

Anyways so BT informs me by email that by the end of March my area will be having new lines installed to update the residents with BT Infinity. 

Now we are currently living in a new built area and already BT are willing to update their lines to provide residents with the new fibre optic service they provide. So my question is why wont Virgin do the same? 

We have been with Virgin for years since the days or Mercury/Cable London. To be honest i would like to stay with Virgin but after being told a few weeks back that Virgin are currently not looking to install new lines in the watford area, then to be honest we will have to move over to BT. I'd rather like to have faster internet then having 5mb which is something around 8 years ago you would find acceptable. 

Will Virgin respond and upgrade our area with cable services or not? 

Current postcode is WD[EDIT: removed private information]

Please use plain text.
The Troubleshooter
SamKnows

Re: When will Virgin install cable in our area?

[ Edited ]

BT simply have to build a new fibre cabinet next to the existing one and that is it. They won't be replacing the copper cable to your property. They have ducting already there to put fibre in so is a very easy job.

For you to get Virgin cable they will need to run basically a whole new part of network plus new cables to every single property that wants cable. Lots of digging, planning permission and cost.

The cost of them doing this will out way one customer wanting service. It would probably take them 5000 years to recoup the cost so from a business point of view what do you think the answer will be?

There is a cablemystreet email address you can contact but I do not think you hold much hope.

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
pavvyben

Virgin Media is anything but good for gaming.  Infact it's awful.

If I had BT Infinity available in my area, I'd switch straight away.  Pings are better with BT as well, so if you play a lot of games etc, then it's a no-brainer. 

Unless Virgin Media are moronic (no comment), they'd be better off sorting out the many thousands of customers who currently receieve a sub-standard service, than trying to dig up roads to lay new cable for new customers.

And as someone who has 100mb at my house near uni and 24mb ADSL with BE at my family home, i'd go with my ADSL connection any day.  You really don't need 100mb at all, unless you want to run 35+ BBC iPlayer HD videos at once.  I don't get full speeds off newgroups any more, thanks to Virgin Media's deep packet inspection system.  

So if I was you, I'd get BT Infinity if it's going to be available within the next month or so and I'm sure you'll be happy enough.

----------------
Over-utilsation diagnosed - 2nd September 2011
Fix Date - 15th September 2011, 15th October 2011, 15th November 2011, 30th November 2011, 16th January 2012, 23rd January 2012, 19th March 2012, 28th March 2012, 23rd May 2012 (although subject to change)
Please use plain text.
The Troubleshooter
SamKnows

[ Edited ]

Definatly not true pavvyben. I game on xbox and it is excellent. Then I play online with friends who are on BT and they constantly lag and get kicked out.

You are right Virgin do need to sort out the many thousands with problems but this is thousands out of a customer base of millions which equals a very tiny percent.

BT Infinity is not all what it is cracked up to be, go have a read of there support forum. :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Superuser
Swt4ajp

pavvyben wrote:

Virgin Media is anything but good for gaming.  Infact it's awful.

If I had BT Infinity available in my area, I'd switch straight away.  Pings are better with BT as well, so if you play a lot of games etc, then it's a no-brainer. 

i dont have a problem on virgin with gaming! its depending on your area being utilised or not!

and bt infinity will start suffering like virgin one day

Please use plain text.
Superuser
Swt4ajp

SamKnows wrote:

BT Infinity is not all what it is cracked up to be, go have a read of there support forum. :smileyvery-happy:

its almost as bad as this forum for speed issues and lagging lol! LOL :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
pavvyben

[ Edited ]

It suffers from Jitter. I get 0 jitter 24/7 with BE. I'm almost certain you get some on your Virgin Media connections?  Try pingtest.net

Ahh I'm sure there's many more thousands than just the people who phone up to complain.  A ton of my friends suffer with Virgin Media problems, but they're not stupid enough to waste their money talking to you incompentant individual at the end of the telephone who cannot do anything to solve it.

I had BT for 5 years and it went down once for 2 hours.  And Virgin Media aren't in any hurry to sort out their poor network.  And let's be honest, unless you're in an under-subscribed area of their network, it's pretty average.

----------------
Fix Date - 15th September 2011, 15th October 2011, 15th November 2011, 30th November 2011, 16th January 2012, 23rd January 2012, 19th March 2012, 28th March 2012, 23rd May 2012 (although subject to change)
Please use plain text.
The Troubleshooter
SamKnows

[ Edited ]

No wonder you think you have a problem if you use pingtest.net :smileyvery-happy:

That is the most complete rubbish site I have ever visited.

My desktop shows 23% packet loss with jitter and ping in the 1000's

My laptop shows 0% packet loss with jitter and ping below 50.

Complete garage. My connection is perfect, I have a device that monitors my connection and does not go through my computer which gives a more accurate reading. If I was you I would delete pingtest.net from your favourites its a useless site.

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
pavvyben

It's through gaming itself, not just pingtest. You play on an xbox - that requires hardly any form of accuracy in a shooting game in comparison to a PC.
----------------
Please use plain text.
Superuser
Swt4ajp

yep i certainly get problems from mine

Please use plain text.