Ask a question
One to Watch
Betis12

Virgin Upload Speed Increase

Hello,

First time poster but I'm told these forums are very helpful.

I live in the area serviced by South Gyle (sgyl) and I have not yet recieved the upload speed increase. The upload speed schedule was last updated on the 23/02/2012 and stated an April-12 completion date for sgyl. Is there any update on this? Has it been completed? If not when will it be completed?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

Re: Virgin Upload Speed Increase

[ Edited ]

All areas have had the upload upgrade for the older tiers (M / L 10, XL 20, XL 30 and XXL 50) which is what the PDF schedule is for.

The newer tiers (M/L 20, L 30, XL 60, XXL 100) will gain a 10:1 ration when the double speed work is done in your area as per www.virginmedia.com/doublespeed

What package are you on?

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Betis12

Thanks for the reply.

I'm on the old M/L 10 package. The PDF says that the upgrade will be done in April at South Gyle however when I reset the modem the upload speed remains at 0.5Mbps and not the upraged 1.0Mbps.

I'm not due to receive the double speed upgrade until October 2012 - June 2013.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

In that case you will need to speak to Tech Support, as you should definately be getting up to 1Mbit for the upload
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Betis12

Tried contacting Tech Support but I don't think they understood my question.

I've to try again after the 20th...

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Betis12

I've been looking into this further and I've got a Motorolla SB5100 Cable Modem and there appears to be a number of threads suggesting that it doesn't support the 1Mbps upload speed? Can someone from Virgin please advise?
Please use plain text.
Superuser
adacom

you have just answered your own question - you need a new modem which i guess will be a super hub - ring retentions 150 from vm phone option 5 option 2 - worry not about the i want to leave message or wait here for a vm staff member to come into the thread

Tony
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Schottky

Same location as op except I have an SB3100. 

I tried a while ago to request a modem ugrade via the web site but nothing happened.  After three followup phonecalls when on each occasion I was assured that a modem would be sent but nothing apeared, I just gave up. 

On a good day I get 7.5M on 10M package which I can live with but if It's stopping me getting 1M upload I will have to set aside some time and try again to get a new modem. Still only getting 0.5M upload.

I would be interested in a definitaive answer on Gyle upgrade status and SB3100 capability.

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Tbgbe

Schottky, regarding your modem - see response by Anudeep

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/Upgrade-to-30mb-Broadband/td-p/11400...

TVXL(V+), BB10Mb, Ph(M)
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Schottky

Thanks for the link but that seems to be about the upcoming download speed upgrade.  South Gyle is not due to get this upgrade until October at the earliest through to July 2013 so that is not my immediate problem. 

The current issue is regarding the latest upload speed upgrade which for South Gyle, as one of the last on the schedule, should have happened last week.  In particular whether the SB3100 can cope with 10M download and 1M upload.

Please use plain text.