Searching for something?
Making Waves
pjwillis
Helpful Answer

Virgin Media Superhub keeps disconnecting

Hi

Several times now over the past fortnight (since getting a speed upgrade and new superhub) my superhub has disconnected me from xbox live. The front blue light goes purple and blue, then it flashes blue a few times, then it reconnects and everything is fine.

The problem is that it can disconnect whilst I'm in the middle of a game. Some online games now give people temporary matchmaking bans if they disconnect and leave games early too many times, and I don't want this to happen to me through no fault of my own.

I used to have a standard modem connected to a belkin wireless router. The xbox was plugged into the ethernet port on the belkin and I never had this problem, (unless their was a service issue with xbox live).

Yet like I said, it's happened several times recently - including 3 times in the previous hour, hence my decision to come on here and ask for help about it. The fact that the superhub light changes and flashes when it happens makes me think it's an issue with the virgin connection/superhub.

I know what will happen if an engineer comes out to look though - it will work perfectly all the time they're here! Like I said, it's intermittent, but very frustrating when it does happen.

I just checked the event log in the superhub page, exepcting to see something about the 3 disconnects in the previous hour, but the last entry was from about a week ago, so no help there.

Anyone else had an issue like this?

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
doratheexplorer

Re: Virgin Media Superhub keeps disconnecting

Hi mate, i have had this issue ever since i have the superhub. They will try to say its fixed but i have never had a successful phone call to the tech team. Good luck!!

I have noticed its only whilst gaming though. Annoying isnt it.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Doive

We have just been 'upgraded' to the Superhub. Three years with a modem and Belkin router without a problem, and now the Superhub is unable to maintain wireless connection for more than thirty seconds at a time. 

The solution for us? Disable wireless on the Superdud, and plug the old router back in. So essentially the Superhub becomes a rather shiny and expensive modem.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
pjwillis

Thanks for the replies guys. It disconnected 3 more times within hours of me posted here, so I set it to modem mode and used my belkin router again. It hasn't disconnected once since and my blackberry smartphone hasn't lost it's wireless connection once either (it was constantly dropping out when using the superhub). I guess I'll keep the current set-up as it is since it's all working fine.
Please use plain text.
Proof’s in the Pudding
Anudeep_B

Hi pjwillis,

Thanks for letting us know, glad to see your problem has sorted.

Kind Regards,

Anudeep B

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Jefferson

Anudeep_B wrote:

Hi pjwillis,

Thanks for letting us know, glad to see your problem has sorted.

That sounds so insincere - can't you read - your customers are bypassing your equipment because it doesn't work. The problem isn't sorted. Another way of sorting it would be to disconnect and use a different company.

I have the same issue - do I have to reconnect my netgear router?

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Poolie63

I too have also just had the speed upgrade and a superhub sent out. This, like previous posters have said is a piece of S### hub. It constantly needs to be rebooted/reset as it keeps dropping wireless and wired connections. I have just had to go into the setup menu as the **bleep** thing had reset itself to factory defaults so no wireless connection for my devices as SSID had changed.

Never had a problem with the old "Blueyonder" scientifica atlanta modem for 10 years with a Linksys WG54 wireless router attached, now nothing but trouble for 10 days since "superdud" installed.

This also keeps dropping my sky anytime+ service too. When I spoke to sky they said firmware for superdud might need updating but on reading other forums no one at VM or Netgear will admit that it is faulty and requires a firmware upgrade yet.

Please use plain text.
Usually Always Right
Steve_Brett

Hi Jefferson

We are currently awaiting a firmware upgrade to the superhub that should help with the rebooting issue.

If you are experiencing the same issue as the above poster, then please post your power levels, advise on the approximate frequency of the reboots you are seeing, and please let us know if you have noticed that the modem reboots whilst performming any particular type of activity on the internet.

The support team is aware of issues whilst downloading some game updates which use a peer to peer system to deliver the update, and this is one of the fixes to be included in the new firmware.

As a temporary fix whilst the firmware is awaited, then yes if reconnecting your netgear router improves the performance, then go for it.
Kind Regards,

Steve Brett

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?

Please use plain text.
Usually Always Right
Steve_Brett

Hi Poolie63

A quick search of these forums will turn up countless references to the superhub modem needing a firmware update, this new firmware is imminent, and should resolve at least some of the issues reported with the superhub. If your issues are as bad as you have stated, then please advise of your modem levels and any activity that seems to trigger a reboot. Again as a temporary workaround, you could set the modem to run in Modem Mode and reconnect your existing wireless router.
Kind Regards,

Steve Brett

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
Alpha

[ Edited ]

LMAO

There no problem with rebooting hes talking about disconnections.

You guys had better start actually reading the customers problems here instead of jumping in and claiming a "fixed" tag on the thread.

Where do I get a refund ?

As for imminent firmware update I have had 3 years of VM promising to fix my BB "imminently"

Please use plain text.