One to Watch
dgreen

Virgin Media Hub Spec

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I'm about to upgrade my package to 10mb broadband (I'm currently with Plusnet).

Before I take the plunge can I ask if this is wise as I am currently getting around 6mb speed consistently with Plusnet and since reading several posts on this forum it seems as though I may be making a mistake.

Another question I'd like answered is about the hub itself. Does it connect to the PC via an Ethernet cable and how many other Ethernet ports are there on the hub.

Would the ethernet cable play a part in making the speeds slower?

many Thanks

David Green

Please use plain text.
Crafty
smeeg

Re: Virgin Media Hub Spec

HI,

The new hub connects to the PC either by ethernet cable or wirelessly. There are 4 Ethernet ports on the new hub.

Ethernet cables will be faster than USB and should not cause any slow down unless there is a fault or it is a particularly poor quality cable. Ethernet is generally the better choice over a wireless connection too although you should get the same speed on both with a 10Mb service.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
dgreen

Thanks Smeeg, really helpful.

I'v been told by Virgin that I will be guaranteed the 10mb speed is this true?

Cheers

David

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
DJ-Shadow

Hello

All of the adds say up to 10mb, if your through cable then you should get close to or the speed rated. If your going through ADSL then you may only get the same as plusnet it depends on your distance to the local exchange.

Mike

Please use plain text.
Crafty
smeeg

smeeg wrote:

HI,

The new hub connects to the PC either by ethernet cable or wirelessly. There are 4 Ethernet ports on the new hub.

Ethernet cables will be faster than USB and should not cause any slow down unless there is a fault or it is a particularly poor quality cable. Ethernet is generally the better choice over a wireless connection too although you should get the same speed on both with a 10Mb service.

I should have said that this answer only relates to the fibre optic package :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Wizard
Zaim

anyone know if the new virgin media hub modem/router has gigabit Ethernet ports?

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
dgreen

Thanks, this is starting to make more sense.

Are you saying that it is possible to get 10mb through the phone line as well as the fibre optic?

Is there a link to the Hub which shows the spec & images?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
Sephiroth

Zaim

It has 4 x 10/100 ports.  You'd get nothing of value out of Gb ports on an L/XL package. So they might as well keep the cost down.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seph.

My advice is at your risk. (Please don't PM me for help)
Modem Mode is for the enlightened
Please use plain text.
Superuser
Sephiroth

dgreen wrote:

Thanks, this is starting to make more sense.

Are you saying that it is possible to get 10mb through the phone line as well as the fibre optic?

Is there a link to the Hub which shows the spec & images?

BTW if they told you they guarantee 10 Mbps, get that in writing!  Also the troubles you read here are a very small percentage of the millions of users - bad enough though some of them be!

The device is a Netgear special made for VM.  It's spec isn't published AFAIK.  But the linl to the description is http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/broadband/wireless.html

It'll do the job.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seph.

My advice is at your risk. (Please don't PM me for help)
Modem Mode is for the enlightened
Please use plain text.
Wizard
Zaim

Sephiroth wrote:

Zaim

It has 4 x 10/100 ports.  You'd get nothing of value out of Gb ports on an L/XL package. So they might as well keep the cost down.

thanks for your reply. " You'd get nothing of value out of Gb ports on an L/XL package." i knw, makes a big difference when transferring stuff in LAN

Please use plain text.